Fordmods Logo

Thermostat leak (post flush continued...) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Thermostat leak (post flush continued...)
Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Well guys it's not good, With the engine running you can see just a tiny amount building at the join on the back and front (area highlighted by black box in first picture, doesn't seep when engine isn't on). Most of you know I did a flush and refil last week and now I have this problem. Thermostat is a Ford one, Ford o-ring too, though I do have a new one from Repco as well. Surge tanks is down about 1.5cm. Note: I put no kind of sealant or vaseline on the o-ring beford installation.

How do I fix this and what is the process? I don't wanna empty and refill again. Just get the thermostat off without making a huge mess, and top it up from there, thanks guys.

NOTE: That grey glue like looking stuff at the join was there before the empty, flush and refill last week, I thought it best not to touch it.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

I had the same problem after a flush.

To remove enougth coolant as to take of the thermostat housing, I siphoned from the overflow bottle. Under the cap, get your hose (about 1/2" size) right down the filler hose that goes to the radiator underneath. If you siphon till it can't siphon any more you will reduce the coolant level to about 1/2 way up the radiator, plenty below the thermostat.

I took off my housing and gave it a good cleaning with a wire brush. When I put it back on, I didn't rely just on the O ring seal, I put silastic around the outer seal of the housing. All so far so good.

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

QLD, Australia

94Mustang wrote:

To remove enougth coolant as to take of the thermostat housing, I siphoned from the overflow bottle. Under the cap, get your hose (about 1/2" size) right down the filler hose that goes to the radiator underneath. If you siphon till it can't siphon any more you will reduce the coolant level to about 1/2 way up the radiator, plenty below the thermostat.

I took off my housing and gave it a good cleaning with a wire brush. When I put it back on, I didn't rely just on the O ring seal, I put silastic around the outer seal of the housing. All so far so good.

Cheers, I'm off the stop now, I'll get some silastic.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

94Mustang wrote:

Couldn't have put it better myself! Exactly what I do.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:59 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

just remove ALL of the old silastic and sealant rubbish, get a new genuine o-ring and refit it all. i've never had one leak yet that i'd cleaned properly

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]