Fordmods Logo

Thinking about doing some porting & polishing 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Thinking about doing some porting & polishing
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

You guys probably have seen my posts on here pretty regularly so ill start off by telling my specs;

i have a ford XD fairmont with a 250 crossflow iron head, would it be worth porting and polishing the head aswell as shaving it to increase compression?

i also have pacemaker extractors with a 2.5inch straight lukey sports exhaust system, new cam and lifters, torker manifold with a holley 350.

Any info on the task wishing to be completed would be helpful

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

it couldnt hurt, but you'd want to fit a cam to take advantage of it

Dont go taking massive amounts out, unless you know what your doing you can actually have a head that flows less. But a bit of a tidy up shouldnt hurt

too many rabbits in china

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

NSW, Australia

is all the cam and stuff in?

i would pull off the old head and put on an alloy head. find out what specs the head is (they had all different compressions and chambers and stuff) then get it around 9.6:1. They had bigger valves standard from what i have been told... then you would have unleaded as well! :)

if you have the money then port and polish would be good before you put it in. depends on what size cam etc... personally i wouldnt bother.

i havent heard heaps of good things about holleys even though it would better than the old crappy stromberg... i like the weber the best.

just check that the extractors and the manifold bolt onto the alloy head cause they have a different stud pattern.

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Hi dude, I have a stage 2 cam and alloy head witha weber on it , crossflow motor, I havnt ported my head as yet but was told a while back that its a waste of time havin a cam if ur not gonna meet it with the head, so my guess would be go for it , I am with mine and cant wait... But the problem that i got at the moment is on what mixture should i have the weber set 2 and the idle what rev should it be in ( it a manual ) Also the timing what should i have it on also

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:59 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

NSW, Australia

yeklow wrote:
Hi dude, I have a stage 2 cam and alloy head witha weber on it , crossflow motor, I havnt ported my head as yet but was told a while back that its a waste of time havin a cam if ur not gonna meet it with the head, so my guess would be go for it , I am with mine and cant wait... But the problem that i got at the moment is on what mixture should i have the weber set 2 and the idle what rev should it be in ( it a manual ) Also the timing what should i have it on also

yeah i reckon if you are going a big cam then it would be common sense to get the head ported to match, but the standard flowing alloy head can handle a mild cam fine.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]