Fordmods Logo

thoughts on upgrading to 2000 AU fairlane 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: thoughts on upgrading to 2000 AU fairlane
Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1997 EL Ford Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

i have been keeping an eye on an 2000 AU fairlane on car sales. It was originally $4800 which is out of my price range, but its just dropped to $3500. Its got 170,000kms on it and looks pretty good. A bit of cosmetic damage, but i can deal with that.

What does everyone think? worthy upgrade from my 97 EL ghia with 230,000kms?

My main hesitation is with buying another used car as you never know the problems they have until you have driven em for a month or so, where as i have had my car for 18months, know whats wrong with it, and know which major jobs have been done or need doing.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/pri ... 1922BC757F

Post subject: Re: thoughts on upgrading to 2000 AU fairlane
Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

looks ok from the pics, but being a Lane will be a gutless heavy barge to drive around

the faulty passenger window motor could possibly be only a dirty switch, but you would have to check that

judging by the colour of the climate control screen it looks to be a series II which is a plus.

all you can do is have a good look at it, check for leaks, trans slipping when hot & cold, clunks from the IRS...... all the usual falcon stuff :)

now that youve brought the car to everyone's attention, you may want to check it out sooner than later :lol:

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1997 EL Ford Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

yeh a couple of things are irking me on closer inspection of the pics. the headlining is sagging and the drivers right seat bolster looks torn. Still worth a look though i guess, but i wont be getting it if its in overall worse condition than mine

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I think you could do worse than buying a vehilce like this. It doesn't look so bad.
I couldn't figure out if it was a series I or II but it would be a good buy anyway. It would be better if series II as at least it would have better brakes. :)

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

louie0408 wrote:
yeh a couple of things are irking me on closer inspection of the pics. the headlining is sagging and the drivers right seat bolster looks torn. Still worth a look though i guess, but i wont be getting it if its in overall worse condition than mine

well theres going to be a couple things that need attention thats for sure...... youd be hard pressed to find an old falcon thats had every problem rectified for a $3500 price tag

however, if you bring it up to a reasonable standard, then the AU will be a much better car over the years than the EL

but do your checks, and also get the VIN number and pay the $34.80 fee for a full history/REVS check

https://www.service.transport.qld.gov.a ... elcome.jsp

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

It's pretty tidy for an 11 year old. It'd be a barge to drive, but A fairlane Ghia is hardly meant to be a spirited car. I'd sell my 2000 AU 75th anniversary Futura to step into a lane like that and my thing is pretty tidy with only 150 000km on it.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]