Fordmods Logo

Throttle Bodies 

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Throttle Bodies
Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Hey im i the middle of ordering stuff for my engine rebuild atm but im stuck on the throttle bodies, can any one help? Ive been told to go a plazmaman plenum and bolt a 100mm billet throttle body onto it. does this sound right? If so are there any good peformance shops and brands etc that people copuld recomend? i dont no sweet bugger all bout em but im havin a go so please useful help would be apreciated.

Fact: Chuck Norris is so fast he can run around the world and hit himself in the back of the head

ED Falcon
XF Falcon
Toyota Hilux

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

100mm throttle body would go allright on a big supercharged V8..om an i6 thats absolute over kill!.. 64-68 mm throttle body is about as big as you want to go.. anthing bigger is "over kill"..

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Xr6 Turbo

VIC, Australia

guys on ebay are about to start doing them, at 70mm, just shaving stock fordones so are bigger, but i dont think that extra mm is going to do much, what are stock ford ones anyway.

Previous cars

1995 ef futura - nothing special
2003 xr6 turbo 5 -speed 307rwkw

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

ACT, Australia

100mm would allow a great volume of air, but smaller would allow greater velocity, and over "x" amount of time, a greater amount of air would have to pass through. Anything up to around 70mm would be the trick IMO.

Induction and exhausts, bigger is not always better.

I like boost
http://www.venomexhaustworks.com.au

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

lil_lincoln wrote:
guys on ebay are about to start doing them, at 70mm, just shaving stock fordones so are bigger, but i dont think that extra mm is going to do much, what are stock ford ones anyway.
yeah, uless you have an after market filter/modded cold air intake and an after market mandrel bent 3 inch intake the throttle body alone will not help.. aslo helps if your engine is considerably worked.. or else is just a waste of time on a stock motor..

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

yer thanks, i am going to be doing s**t of work to the engine to hopefully bring it up to around 700hp. so what would people recomend in the way of brands for throttle bodies and what do you think about the plenum im using?

Fact: Chuck Norris is so fast he can run around the world and hit himself in the back of the head

ED Falcon
XF Falcon
Toyota Hilux

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

700hp? you using turbo or super? im assuming turbo, what unit will you be using? plazmaman plenums look good, but quite pricey, nizpro are probly a good choice, maybe even better than plazmaman

cheers

Slavery, gets s**t done!

Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

hey man u r right, im using a garrett GT42R turbo and then probably 50HP shots of NOS. Thanks for ur useful feedback! i will check nizpro out thankyou!

ED Falcon
XF Falcon
Toyota Hilux

Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:06 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Cortina

QLD, Australia

My turbo 250 crossflow is making over 700hp now and still has an XF falcon throttle body on it with a 65mm bore. I pulled it apart, put some seals in on the shaft and machined a smooth taper in the bore either side of the throttle plate.

I am looking to upgrade soon as I have now gone to a bigger turbo chasing about 900hp. I would suggest having a look at Hypertune plenum and throttle body. They do one for the BA falcon but it has bolt on runners. You can buy it without runners and machine up your own to suit the 4L SOHC bolt pattern and port shape.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 21 images

NSW, Australia

dont be so quick to dismiss plazmaman.

mabee you should give alex a call and talk to him about your aplication.

he can fabricate anything you can imagine and his work is fast becoming the talked about gear to have as people start posting the results from his latest efforts with our 16.

bf xr6turbo siemens injectors, full plazmaman 800 hp intercooler kit, 5 inch cat and custom dual 2.5 inch zorst, billet flywheel with mal wood clutch kit, braided hoses, big brakes, 3.2L surge tank/w twin 044's rebuilt motor with forged and billet everything 420+ rwkw on 98. holden killer.

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:26 am 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

I stumbled across this link about the Plazmaman Plenum. Looks pretty sweet. Uses the stock bottom runner section which makes life a lot easier than a straight runner plenum like the Hypertune one.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=99716

Using the stock bottom runner section has one drawback and that is you are stuck with the longish 13" runner which has a weird taper and a bend in it. It has been shown you can make good power with the stock runners but a dead straight 6 - 8" runner that is around 42mm ID is the ideal setup.

I have attached a pic of the Hypertune BA one also.

Attachments:
Hypertune Ba inlet.jpg
Hypertune Ba inlet.jpg [ 71.24 KiB | Viewed 149 times ]

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

hows it go for bottom end torque? looks very interesting!

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

unless its beeing force fed i doubt it would do much good for an NA car... short big diametre runners would mean zero torque down low...

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

That photo is from the Jim Mock car isnt it?

They said in that article that low down response was sh thouse but they were making 220rwkw or thereabouts NA.

Nizpro are developing lower runners to suit their plenum at the moment. Im going to wait until they are released before deciding what plenum to use.

Those hypertune units are up there around $3k arent they?

Plazmaman, process west and nizpro are all around the $1700 mark.

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Not sure where that phot came from but Kapul was originally asking about plenums etc for forced induction so that is what I am talking about even though the photo happens to show the plenum used in NA application. Not sure where I found that pic now.

With a turbo engine you will lose throttle response just off idle for sure but you won't lose much is spool time at full throttle by going to the short runner. A lot will depend on tha application.

If you want to drive it everyday and the thing spends more time off boost then a short straight big runner will probably get a bit annoying especially if you have a manual box.

If you have an auto i would go short straight runners for sure then just have a converter built to suit so you basically never use that doughy range just above idle.

Once the engine starts to spool it then surprisingly that doesn't change much because it is more a characteristic of the turbo sizing and cam choice. Where the gains are is in top end, short runner manifold will pull strong to 6000 rpm and beyond.

I made two manifolds, the one I fitted to may mates car unleashed a top of top end power, pulled right the way to his 5500 rpm redline but still started making boost around 1800 rpm. That was a smallish turbo though P-trim turbine wheel, BA falcon turbine housing and V2 compressor wheel. Engine was making 270 rwkw @ 24 psi due to the little comp wheel he was running.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next