Fordmods Logo

throttle response problem :S 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: throttle response problem :S
Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:43 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF Fairmont

WA, Australia

when its below about 3500rpm there is absolutely no power and then it all comes in one hit
anyone had a problem like this?

Post subject: Re: throttle response problem :S
Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Black EB 5 Speed EL Front End

QLD, Australia

it sounds like your BBM Butterflys are staying open. they should open up at 3800 and be closed below 3800. so to me it sounds like the BBM isn't working properly

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:03 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF Fairmont

WA, Australia

any way to fix this or ? what exactly is your bbm ?

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Black EB 5 Speed EL Front End

QLD, Australia

im not 100% sure if that is your problem, but thats what it sounds like.
shazza9275 wrote:
any way to fix this or ? what exactly is your bbm ?

It's the your intake manifold, it looks kinda like a snail

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:19 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: falcon EBII

SA, Australia

sounds like the bbm line has come off / stoped working when you start the car go to the engine and pull the vacuume line of the bbm actuator if it moves its ok if not start looking fot the reason you have no vacuume

EBII ED Grill AU rebult motor ea t5 gli upgraded to xrghia
i was just holding the lead and feeling the jolt it was giving me and seting the timeing from that

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: falcon EBII

SA, Australia

the bbm actuator is the dome thing just above the top rad hose with the rod coming out of it

EBII ED Grill AU rebult motor ea t5 gli upgraded to xrghia
i was just holding the lead and feeling the jolt it was giving me and seting the timeing from that

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:26 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

It will definitely not be the bbm butterflies, you will not lose heaps of torque from using the shorter runners. I find the ford 4.0 has heaps of power under 3500rpm no real top end power but more bottom end power then a vt 5.7. As a fully qualified mech who does a lot of work on fords id say check timing get it tuned by ford if its ef, cat muffler or fuel filter could be blocked, check plugs and leads could even be a vacuum leak somewhere, also iv seen ea - ed's with worn throttle cables that felt real limp. Will need more info to help more

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

also check cam timing..

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: f6 rspec

NSW, Australia

ELboy wrote:
It will definitely not be the bbm butterflies, you will not lose heaps of torque from using the shorter runners. I find the ford 4.0 has heaps of power under 3500rpm no real top end power but more bottom end power then a vt 5.7. As a fully qualified mech who does a lot of work on fords id say check timing get it tuned by ford if its ef, cat muffler or fuel filter could be blocked, check plugs and leads could even be a vacuum leak somewhere, also iv seen ea - ed's with worn throttle cables that felt real limp. Will need more info to help more

can u explain that a little more? how does ford tune ef's??

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

FORDom wrote:
ELboy wrote:

Why i say take it to ford for a tune is cos there computer and software is worth over 100k your average workshop use cheap hand held scanners that are crap. When i say tune im not talking about dyno tuning.

Reading the first post again, it sounds like a major flat spot, it could be your coil pack on its way out, blocked injectors fuel filter even air cleaner, really it could be 1 of a million things you need to give it a good tune up they will scan ecu if you have mechanical knowledge just ask them not to touch anything they will give you a print out of what they find then you can go from there

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: f6 rspec

NSW, Australia

ELboy wrote:
FORDom wrote:
ELboy wrote:

Why i say take it to ford for a tune is cos there computer and software is worth over 100k your average workshop use cheap hand held scanners that are crap. When i say tune im not talking about dyno tuning.

Reading the first post again, it sounds like a major flat spot, it could be your coil pack on its way out, blocked injectors fuel filter even air cleaner, really it could be 1 of a million things you need to give it a good tune up they will scan ecu if you have mechanical knowledge just ask them not to touch anything they will give you a print out of what they find then you can go from there

do u know if there gear will work on a modified engine, im running a au engine in an ef with a j3..i just feel something isn't right and wouldn't mind getting a diagnosis from ford them selves..

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

ROFL at Ford being the best place to service a 15 yr old Falcon

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:20 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

yea lol..
ford service departments have trouble diagnosing and fixing problems in 5 year old cars let alone a modified 15 year old car.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:40 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1990 ea falcon wagon

TAS, Australia

yer on my ea it had no kickdown in t auto and no power down low and it was a worn throttle cable

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]