Fordmods Logo

tick tick tick.......booom? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: tick tick tick.......booom?
Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:53 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

hey everyone, my EL is doing ticking noises.......im sure its not the injectors because the injectors arent meant to make such a noisy ticking noise...u can hear it from inside the car with windows up while at the traffic lights. now my dad said that its probably the cam (thats what i think he meant because he was talking in viet). but yeah i was thinking it might be the cam/valve problem thingy or lifters or what ever they are. the ticking noise increases as u increase the throttle so im guessing its something inside the engine? if there is something wrong with the lifters would that also cause excessive fuel consumption? how hard is it to fix (by myself....a novice)?

sorry about all the questions

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon 95

VIC, Australia

usually the lifters tick quite loud. when i had my cam done i had them all replaced, the seals around the lifters were buggered or something, which also stuffed the lifters.

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

yeah it's the lifters if it increases with revs as far as i know...

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:35 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

is it hard to check if the lifters are F**k? how much would it cost to do a home job? might change gasket and put a new cam in if necessary.

cheers

phong =P~

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Gli

VIC, Australia

lifters are relatively easy to check, take rocker cover off and turn engine via the harmonic balancer ( obviously not by hand) as each lifter reaches its peak height of movement just wiggle it up and down with ur hand if it has a bit of play in it...its F**k...mark them off until you have done them all...either out a tick if its ok or a x is its screwed as there may be a couple of buggered ones. This is just the way i know how to check them im sure there are plenty of ppl on here who knows easier and better ways??? there not hard to change just a little fiddly

Posted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:21 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

None of the rockers should have any play, at any time. So don't worry about rotating the motor, just check all of them like that.

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:08 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

so i can just pull the rocker cover off. and then wiggle the lifters? when i wiggle the lifters if they move a lot they are stuffed and if they are toite like a tiger their fine?

phong =P~

Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR6

WA, Australia

Chances are if it's doing it all the time yes they are rooted. However if you want to try a cheap way out 1st get your engine flushed and run some decent oil in it. There is also an additive i've heard is good for silencing lifter noise, can't remember the product name sorry :(

5spd Heritage Green EL XR6. Wheels by ROH. Stereo by Clarion. Exhaust by Pacemaker & Lukey. Suspension by Whiteline, Durashock and K-Mac.

Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 3:49 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

thanks Kingkezza. i might need to flush it. might actually pull practicalyl everything out. fuel line system. the air intake and a new panel filter, pull rocker cover off as well as flushing. then pull dash board out to plug that vacuum hose back in. BOOOO so much work yet no time to do it =( guess ill be waiting 2 weeks before i can do most of that

=D

phong =P~

Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR6

WA, Australia

phongus wrote:
thanks Kingkezza. i might need to flush it. might actually pull practicalyl everything out. fuel line system. the air intake and a new panel filter, pull rocker cover off as well as flushing. then pull dash board out to plug that vacuum hose back in. BOOOO so much work yet no time to do it =( guess ill be waiting 2 weeks before i can do most of that

=D

phong =P~

Good luck with it mate, don't worry i know how you feel. Between uni and work i have to pay people to do my dirty work, which is quite expensive when you're a uni student :( Really would like to get a cam installed soon but i really should save the money for insurance :(

5spd Heritage Green EL XR6. Wheels by ROH. Stereo by Clarion. Exhaust by Pacemaker & Lukey. Suspension by Whiteline, Durashock and K-Mac.

Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:14 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Kingkezza.......ive come to the decision that i wont be driving neither of my cars
they will be under a tent and have a major fix up. probably take me yonks but ill do it after the mt macedon cruise =D here in melb. and riding my bike to work and uni......exercise and not much petrol spent. but we'll see what happens. (insurance is due in july so even better)

Posted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

phongus wrote:
Kingkezza.......ive come to the decision that i wont be driving neither of my cars
they will be under a tent and have a major fix up. probably take me yonks but ill do it after the mt macedon cruise =D here in melb. and riding my bike to work and uni......exercise and not much petrol spent. but we'll see what happens. (insurance is due in july so even better)

good luck with it dude.....i think its me i replaced my lifters too...couldnt be a*** checkin em really just rip the old out and put some new ones in.

Instead of replacing em wit the standard ford ones are there are better/stronger aftermarket option ?

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon

VIC, Australia

I had a very similar (if not the same) problem, phongus...
I posted a thread on it...
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27234

Some of the info in there might help. it helped me.

-------- Falcs --------
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]