Fordmods Logo

Tickford Gas 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Tickford Gas
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:20 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Falcon RTV

QLD, Australia

Just a question for those who run the factory gas.Does their car stall when it changes from petrol to gas.In particular when you start in the morning etc., and its starts on gas and switches to petrol.Or is this just the normal thing.

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

factory systems start on petrol and automatically switch to gas after the engine fires smoothly approx 1/4 second after the gas fires the petrol switches off :D

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

My changeover is seamless, you can't perceive the switch point.
Cheers
TW.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:58 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

NSW, Australia

rev the car to just over 2000rpm's. and then switch over. It should fix your problem.

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

Hazaa wrote:
rev the car to just over 2000rpm's. and then switch over. It should fix your problem.

thats not really fixing the problem, thats more like a bandaid

Post subject: Re: Tickford Gas
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:35 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

WA, Australia

eagleaus wrote:
Just a question for those who run the factory gas.Does their car stall when it changes from petrol to gas.In particular when you start in the morning etc., and its starts on gas and switches to petrol.Or is this just the normal thing.

yes mine does in the morning or when the engines cold ... doesn't bother me

way i get around it is select petrol when starting the car, drive away and change to gas when the car is in 2nd or 3rd gear, just ease up on the throttle, usually change to gas the same as it changes to 3rd gear

mine also does the same thing if the engines not warmed up fully and its stopped and then go to restart it, either it stalls or its hard to start, way i get around this is to switch to petrol before stopping the engine, then restarting on petrol and switching to gas the same as the cold start technique for 1st thing in the morning

i think it's better to do it this way as it also gives the petrol injectors a bit more of a work out than they'd get otherwise because i hardly ever run on petrol

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:49 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

maybe the gas line from the bottle to the engine is empty and there's not enough time for the gas to get to the engine and so the engine stalls, this would be why it does it from cold starts and not when the engines warmed up fully as the gas line will still have enough gas in it to keep the engine running ... so perhaps the stepper motor isn't sealing or the solenoid valve near the convertor isn't sealing when the engines stopped

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:24 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Thanks dddp!, Its not a big deal has you have said.It seams as the comput does not give a bit of a delay time required for the change over from one fuel to the other.Even from gas to petrol it can nearly stall but the petrol is close to the point etc.,

Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

VIC, Australia

it should be seamless.
my aftermarket system has a variable resistor which controls the time taken on petrol and then switch over.
i don't know whether the tickford ones have this.
might just need a tune up.

why do u write in here.

Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:26 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

yes i think the tune-up idea might be the go, specially if your having trouble with it almost stalling when you switch to petrol, somethings not right there for sure

not long after i got my car, 4yrs ago now, i found when i took my foot off the acclerator to slow down (on gas) the engine would stall or almost stall, got a mechanic to check it out and it turned out the inline filter(gas) was full of crud, replaced that, checked the gas comp was set properly and the car ran perfectly, mech reckoned the filter should never block again but as a mech tradesman myself i know all about parts that shouldn't give problems :)

might be time to change mine again as it's started doing it again

Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:17 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Inline gas filter, where's that.

Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

eagleaus wrote:
Inline gas filter, where's that.
It should be on the gas line from the tank, it is right at the convertor if you have one. A steel bowl that has a phosphur bronze filter inside, I don't know how you would clean it though, perhaps petrol and compressed air? Have you drained the oil from the convertor, there is a plug at the bottom of the convertor, remove it an let all the liquid drain from it and then reinstall the plug(car not running BTW)
Cheers
TW.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:56 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

yeah thats where the filter is ... don't think i'd bother cleaning it, just stick a new one in

just curious about the oil in the convertor, why would it have oil in it and why do you drain it?

at my work i'm qualified to work as a supervised gas fitter, that means i'm allowed to change parts in gas instalations but not fit them, one thing that's pretty important is that if you break into the gas line anywhere you must check for leaks after you finished your work, use a little detergent in a bit of water and just spray it over ( or brush it over with a paint brush) whereever you broke into the gas line to check for bubbles which shows leaks ... you can get special thread tape suitable for gas to help seal threads etc

legality of it is tho, you must be a licenced gas fitter to work on gas instalations, only reason i can do it at work is because theoretically one of our 2 licensed gas fitters comes along later and checks my work, doesn't happed in reality tho, but if s**t did happen and my work was faulty and there was an accident because of it, then the guys with the license get crucified, not me ... so there's that to consider, not sure what laws are in your state, but thats how it is here in WA

Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

dddp! wrote:

just curious about the oil in the convertor, why would it have oil in it and why do you drain it?

The oil is the contaminants from the LPG. Ideally there won't be any but the quality of LPG is so variable it's not funny.
Cheers
TW.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

twason wrote:
dddp! wrote:

The oil is the contaminants from the LPG. Ideally there won't be any but the quality of LPG is so variable it's not funny.
Cheers
TW.

how often should u do this??

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]