Fordmods Logo

tickford head vs. normal ef head 6 cylinder 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: tickford head vs. normal ef head 6 cylinder
Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 95 EF GLI

VIC, Australia

i just called wadecams, its 165 for members, 195 for non members, im thinking a 1636 gring would suit me nicely

95 Ef Gli, mods : Tickford Head, Tickford ecu, Pacemaker 4499, Venom 100 cpi cat, Redback 2.5" catback, Wade 977b cam, ba xr6 intake and SS inductions, k & n filter & leather seats. 147.5kw @ wheels

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

I can't give a definite answer about heads - all I can say is that whereas I saw no change when going from std ED head to what was meant to be a std out of the box EF XR6 head - my EF Gli has performed real nice from square one once I brought the cam out of the ED across to it - ie. better than the ED did when I first put the cam into it - and then with a bit of port work it improved very noticeably on top of that. It goes better now than the ED ever did - and I haven't even done the exhaust yet! In short, I like the std EF head.

I have been reading that AU heads have gone smaller in port size - I guess they're after good bottom end and mileage rather than max power.

Keep in mind I am suspicious that the so called EFXR6 head I was sold might have actually been an AU one... - so it needs to be kept in mind that if mine was an AU head then a proper EFXR6 head might be a real good thing - it's all very frustrating!! I don't have that head anymore so can't absolutely check it out.

For my money I'd recommend going with a std EF head - and if possible get it ported. As I said tho, I did my head myself - and it took HOURS and HOURS!! - I was using a dinky little Dremel tool knockoff so a decent die grinder would speed things up a lot - but I estimate I spent about 25 to 30 hours on it - which would be $$$ at mechanic's rates...

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

For a basic port job with no chamber work and unchanged valve sizes I will charge $550
On top of that would be any reconditioning costs involved. Being that the seats will need to be redone it pretty much guaranties all the guides will need bronze inserts, so don't expect it to be small amount of money.

For an all out job with over sized intake valves and works you're looking over $1500

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
WTF

5651 views today????????? Red arrow shows it on attachment

couldnt help but notice you were looking in my build thread :D

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:11 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1995 EF Falcon

SA, Australia

Quote:
For an all out job with over sized intake valves and works you're looking over $1500

Good price actually considering the price of performance heads these days

South Australia.. Heaps good.

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 95 EF GLI

VIC, Australia

ok, ive made my desicion, and it'll be in the car in a few weeks, im going with the xr6 head (i found one), and a wade 1636 cam, one last question, will my std rocker cover fit the xr head? i wanna keep the red one off because my stock one is painted

95 Ef Gli, mods : Tickford Head, Tickford ecu, Pacemaker 4499, Venom 100 cpi cat, Redback 2.5" catback, Wade 977b cam, ba xr6 intake and SS inductions, k & n filter & leather seats. 147.5kw @ wheels

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:59 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Chargd wrote:
ok, ive made my desicion, and it'll be in the car in a few weeks, im going with the xr6 head (i found one), and a wade 1636 cam, one last question, will my std rocker cover fit the xr head? i wanna keep the red one off because my stock one is painted

should be fine.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2