Fordmods Logo

ticking noise coming from inside inlet manifold/airbox 

 

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

 
 Post subject: ticking noise coming from inside inlet manifold/airbox
Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:43 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 633

Joined: 21st Nov 2008

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

iv got an ed xr6, it was running rough and would hardly idle, i have replaced the isc, plugs, leads, rotor, cap and o2 sensor and is now running much better although i have this ticking noise coming from inside the inlet manifold, the higher you rev it the louder it gets, it strange because you can only hear it coming out from inside the airbox/inlet manifold, i thought vacuum leak, i couldnt find any so i tightened the inlet manifold bolts but still no difference. it also surges slightly, at idle and while holding the revs with the accelerator. its a manual transmission and when you try and take off normally with low revs it will die, get the revs up past 2,000rpm and it will take off fine. i was thinking maybe inlet manifold gasket but then i thought why cant i hear the ticking noise from anywhere else in the engine bay other than coming out the airbox? also thinking maybe valve slightly stuck open and the noise is coming back out thru the inlet manifold/airbox?

any help is appreciated
cheers
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ticking noise coming from inside inlet manifold/airbox
Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:07 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 1934

Joined: 8th Nov 2004

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

Location: Bunbury
WA, Australia

The ticking noise in the intake will most likely be the injectors. I don't know if an ISC can malfunction and make a clicking noise, might be the cause of the stalling if it's stuck shut or blocked. You've replaced the leads, so they can't be shorting out anywhere. I'm not sure what else it could be. Lets hear some other suggestions...
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ticking noise coming from inside inlet manifold/airbox
Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:57 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 633

Joined: 21st Nov 2008

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

fordman351 wrote:
The ticking noise in the intake will most likely be the injectors. I don't know if an ISC can malfunction and make a clicking noise, might be the cause of the stalling if it's stuck shut or blocked. You've replaced the leads, so they can't be shorting out anywhere. I'm not sure what else it could be. Lets hear some other suggestions...


iv replaced the isc and this noise that is coming from inside the inlet manifold is definitely not the injectors, it gets louder as you rev it higher, it almost sounds like a tractor at high revs which is why im thinking maybe a valve stuck open.. im gona change the oil and take the rocker cover off and have a look tomorrow see if i can find anything.
cheers mate

anyone else had a problem like this with these engines?
this car im sure has copped a flogging from its previous owner, who also said the head gasket was done not long ago.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ticking noise coming from inside inlet manifold/airbox
Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:53 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 38

Posts: 1319

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Ride: 66 Coupe

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

nothing in the inlet manifold will make noise, you say it gets louder as you increase rpm, so unless its in the dizzy (ie cap not on right etc) then i'd be looking at timing chain / guides or flex plate, or maybe even idler bearings - try dropping the belts
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ticking noise coming from inside inlet manifold/airbox
Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:38 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 35

Posts: 1353

Joined: 15th Mar 2007

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: AU XR6

Power: 171 rwkw

Location: thornton
NSW, Australia

Inlet valve or valve guide?

 

_________________

9/98 AU1 XR6hp-about to retire from the road and be reborn on the race track.
86 ZL mint grandpa spec with premo sound and 150000km
07 TTG 60000km stock as, mods to come.
97 el futura about to be MOCKed

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ticking noise coming from inside inlet manifold/airbox
Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:12 am 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

i agree..
inlet valve.??
does it have a miss???
take the intake pipe off the throttle and listen to see if the sound is comming through the throttle body.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ticking noise coming from inside inlet manifold/airbox
Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 633

Joined: 21st Nov 2008

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

ebxr82nv wrote:
Inlet valve or valve guide?



TROYMAN wrote:
i agree..
inlet valve.??
does it have a miss???
take the intake pipe off the throttle and listen to see if the sound is comming through the throttle body.



yep even after replacing all the spark gear it still has a miss.
the noise is coming through the throttle body after taking intake pipe off.
i was thinking maybe stuck open intake valve..
do these engines have a habit of blowing/breaking intake valves or guides? maybe broken valve spring?

cheers
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ticking noise coming from inside inlet manifold/airbox
Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:36 pm 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

jaysway wrote:
ebxr82nv wrote:
Inlet valve or valve guide?



TROYMAN wrote:
i agree..
inlet valve.??
does it have a miss???
take the intake pipe off the throttle and listen to see if the sound is comming through the throttle body.



yep even after replacing all the spark gear it still has a miss.
the noise is coming through the throttle body after taking intake pipe off.
i was thinking maybe stuck open intake valve..
do these engines have a habit of blowing/breaking intake valves or guides? maybe broken valve spring?

cheers

No not really.. the valves usually last the life of the engine..depending on how it has been treated?
has the ever or is it running on lpg?
it could be a burnt valve,worn valve seat, if there is a loudish tick from a rocker or top end it could be a broken valve spring or even a bent valve??
has the car ever been driven without a air filter??
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ticking noise coming from inside inlet manifold/airbox
Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 35

Posts: 1353

Joined: 15th Mar 2007

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: AU XR6

Power: 171 rwkw

Location: thornton
NSW, Australia

An easy check for a broken guide is to take off the manifold and look inside the ports

 

_________________

9/98 AU1 XR6hp-about to retire from the road and be reborn on the race track.
86 ZL mint grandpa spec with premo sound and 150000km
07 TTG 60000km stock as, mods to come.
97 el futura about to be MOCKed

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ticking noise coming from inside inlet manifold/airbox
Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 633

Joined: 21st Nov 2008

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
jaysway wrote:
ebxr82nv wrote:
Inlet valve or valve guide?



TROYMAN wrote:
i agree..
inlet valve.??
does it have a miss???
take the intake pipe off the throttle and listen to see if the sound is comming through the throttle body.



yep even after replacing all the spark gear it still has a miss.
the noise is coming through the throttle body after taking intake pipe off.
i was thinking maybe stuck open intake valve..
do these engines have a habit of blowing/breaking intake valves or guides? maybe broken valve spring?

cheers

No not really.. the valves usually last the life of the engine..depending on how it has been treated?
has the ever or is it running on lpg?
it could be a burnt valve,worn valve seat, if there is a loudish tick from a rocker or top end it could be a broken valve spring or even a bent valve??
has the car ever been driven without a air filter??


the car has coped a flogging by the previous owner.
never been on lpg from what i can see.
wouldnt know if it has ever been driven without an air filter.
couldnt see any broken valve springs with rocker cover off.

tested the compression, 180-185 on cylinder 1 and 6.. 0-25 compression on 2 3 4 5.
with the rocker off i checked the head bolts, at least 5 bolts were extremely loose.
my guess is they havent used new head bolts or it wasnt tensioned right and it has come loose between cylinders.
im going to replace head gasket and bolts with AU parts and shave the head.

can i order an AU vrs set? are the intake/exhaust manifold, rocker cover and thermostat housing the same gaskets?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ticking noise coming from inside inlet manifold/airbox
Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:05 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 11739

Joined: 17th May 2005

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

get an ED VRS kit and discard the head gasket. Go to Ford and get a genuine AU gasket and head bolts...shouldn't have any problems with that I hope.

phong =P~

 

_________________

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ticking noise coming from inside inlet manifold/airbox
Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:07 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 633

Joined: 21st Nov 2008

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

removed head this arvo to find this
Image
cylinder 2 3 4 5 above
explains the no compression in those cylinders and the noise coming out thru the inlet manifold
i couldnt believe how loose the head bolts were, a couple i could have undone with just a ratchet
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ticking noise coming from inside inlet manifold/airbox
Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:26 am 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

yep that will do it...
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ticking noise coming from inside inlet manifold/airbox
Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:12 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 633

Joined: 21st Nov 2008

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

ok finally finished replacing the head gasket now its hunting at idle and hesitates a bit under 2,000rpm it flys when you get it out on the open road tho.
what can cause this hunting at idle?
no vacuum leaks from what i can see.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ticking noise coming from inside inlet manifold/airbox
Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 633

Joined: 21st Nov 2008

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

is my MAP sensor stuffed? its idles rough at the moment and as soon as i take the vacuum hose off the MAP sensor it idles high but smooth..
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:54 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names