Fordmods Logo

ticking noise 

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: ticking noise
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

dude. do you listen? in your other thread i told you numerous times that you need 2 SHIMS IN EACH ROCKER ARM. don't complain now if valve meets piston. i can't believe you put in 3 shims. but only in some of the arms.

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB XR6 (sold) ED XR6 T5

VIC, Australia

ok did u even put the shims in the right way, and is it a regrind or not u havent answered this?? and 3 shims, nooo.

92 EB II SXR6 T5

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

WILDEB wrote:
dude. do you listen? in your other thread i told you numerous times that you need 2 SHIMS IN EACH ROCKER ARM. don't complain now if valve meets piston. i can't believe you put in 3 shims. but only in some of the arms.

I'm with Wildeb here... Your a tool mate...

When you buy a regrind cam they say fix a second set of lifters... not 2 more sets... We are dealing with measurements to the thou... You will have valves that aren't closing properly now... and opening onto a raised piston too early...

If it rattles with 2 sets of shims in it the lifters are not sealing... either by seals and service the genuines or buy aftermarkets and fit them...

The reason it stopped when you flogged it was because the high oil pressure stopped the lifter from collapsing... Soon as it stops and the pressure drops I bet your tick comes back... Replace the the lifts and for god's sake that the 3rd shim out of each arm... Listen to whats told to you from now on...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: BA MKII Fairlane GHIA

VIC, Australia

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

TimmyA wrote:
WILDEB wrote:

I'm with Wildeb here... Your a tool mate...

When you buy a regrind cam they say fix a second set of lifters... not 2 more sets... We are dealing with measurements to the thou... You will have valves that aren't closing properly now... and opening onto a raised piston too early...

If it rattles with 2 sets of shims in it the lifters are not sealing... either by seals and service the genuines or buy aftermarkets and fit them...

The reason it stopped when you flogged it was because the high oil pressure stopped the lifter from collapsing... Soon as it stops and the pressure drops I bet your tick comes back... Replace the the lifts and for god's sake that the 3rd shim out of each arm... Listen to whats told to you from now on...

Cheers,
Tim

well said + 1

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:04 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ef xr6

VIC, Australia

im listening man but wen the gu did it he put 3 shims under 2 arms co they were loose as f**k still wat do i do about them being loose as f**k is that coz the lifters are f**k or wat coz he said should be fine but yer im not sure

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:20 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

azzaxr6 wrote:
im listening man but wen the gu did it he put 3 shims under 2 arms co they were loose as f**k still wat do i do about them being loose as f**k is that coz the lifters are f**k or wat coz he said should be fine but yer im not sure

I suggest leaving only 2 shims in each rocker arm. 3 is a bit dangerous...could damage your valves if they do touch the piston. If a mechanic is doing it...be wise and get a second opinion.

By loose, do you mean the lifters aren't held tightly inside the rocker arms? If so then that is rather normal, especially if the retainers were removed from the lifters. All my lifters fall out if I was to remove the rocker assembly...they are only slide in and are not held in tight at all, car runs fine without ticking.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:55 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

plus if they aren't sealing (the ball valve inside them that is) then they will collapse by hand when you push on them anyway... Thats how you check which ones need replacing... Ones that are stiff and can't be compressed by hand are good... One that will push down (lifter collapsing) are the ones that are dirty inside and not sealing...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:07 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB XR6 (sold) ED XR6 T5

VIC, Australia

azzaxr6 wrote:

yeah its normal for them to be a little loose and even fall out, but it doesnt matter once its on the valve, itll hold itself together, a common method is to even actually tie/tape them to the arm while refitting them to hold them in place

But i dont see how adding a 3rd shim helps, wont this just push the lifter further out???

if you are really worried about it, put a new set of lifters in?

92 EB II SXR6 T5

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:44 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

ahhk could it be the thinker oil in it making it tick coz atm i havent got any oil pressure so will that make a diff if i put thinner oil in ?

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:01 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

azzaxr6 wrote:
ahhk could it be the thinker oil in it making it tick coz atm i havent got any oil pressure so will that make a diff if i put thinner oil in ?

wtf :? :? so you have no oil pressure and your running it??? :roll:
thats why its ticking, you need oil pressure to lubricate the engine and to keep the lifters pumped up...
seriously, if you have no oil pressure? your engine is as good as dead...

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:24 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
azzaxr6 wrote:

wtf :? :? so you have no oil pressure and your running it??? :roll:
thats why its ticking, you need oil pressure to lubricate the engine and to keep the lifters pumped up...
seriously, if you have no oil pressure? your engine is as good as dead...

Cmon Troyman, oil pressure is overrated right?

don't worry dude, just keep ripping it up, you wait till the second page of this to drop that little nugget. No oil pressure = rooted bottom end somewhere. no amount of shims can fix that. until you have oil pressure you cannot get the HLA's to pump up, until that happens you cannot get rid of the chatter. Have you put a mach gauge on to double check for impending death?

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

lol @ runnin it with no oil pressure :lol:
just go out do some burnouts till it stops.. its fuked anyway. :twisted:

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 97 TICKFORD XR6 Manaul

SA, Australia

heres 1 way to fix the tick......LOL

Attachments:
Image011.jpg
Image011.jpg [ 300.16 KiB | Viewed 124 times ]

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:26 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

lol well there is a little bit of oil pressure coz there is oil getting to it coz yer otherwise it would be dead by now theres just not as much as its spose to get to it so i went and talked to my mate today his got a workd nf he said put thinnner oil in it and it should be fine

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next