Post subject: Re: ticking noise
Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:05 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

azzaxr6 wrote:
lol well there is a little bit of oil pressure coz there is oil getting to it coz yer otherwise it would be dead by now theres just not as much as its spose to get to it so i went and talked to my mate today his got a workd nf he said put thinnner oil in it and it should be fine

What oil do you have in it at the moment?

No oil pressure could mean f**k oil pump or oil pick up filter thing.

First, fix the shimming of the rockers. Then find out the cause of your oil pressure...I can see a dramatic fail of your car some time soon.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:07 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: 1999 AU Falcon

VIC, Australia

i noticed most fords always make bottom end noise.. my EF isnt exactly the quietest in neutral but when put in drive it all stops really. usually mostly when the temp is running up on normal. it might not be normal either but who knows. i used thinner then thicker oil. still has'nt made a difference.

99 AU Falcon Forte in Galaxy Blue. Stock as a rock atm. Future Mods; Full sports exhaust, cam upgrade.

"Holden" - Australia's Most Widely Used Warning Label.

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

azzaxr6 wrote:
lol well there is a little bit of oil pressure coz there is oil getting to it coz yer otherwise it would be dead by now theres just not as much as its spose to get to it so i went and talked to my mate today his got a workd nf he said put thinnner oil in it and it should be fine

put a mechanical master gauge on it...

the factory dash ones are notorious for showing low pressure... In fact dad said once that people had the light coming on when at idle and with a master gauge still showing was 60LB? :? of oil pressure... Ford's fix for this was to add a resistor to the circuit... So even Ford knew the issue...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

*waits to see a new thread saying "was driving my car, heard a horrible noise and then my engine stopped and won't start"*

seriously though. your mechanic sucks. and if your motor has no oil pressure stop driving it, get it checked out

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

no seals in lifters they're mechanical... only thing that can go wrong with them is they flog out(too much clearance in bores), earlier models had the bakerlite retainer clips but as i've found later models have a steel snap ring.alot of variance through models but still same basic theory.
or the shims are incorrectly installed as mentioned..
when lifter assemblies are correctly installed a clicking/ticking is pretty much standard. it could even just be gum in the rack (obviously if your going to change all your top end gear you want to give that a good clean to) ticking doesn't mean lifters are failing.

extra shims however will cause failure once those bad boys fully pump up and punch a valve into your piston at high revs :lol: epic fail +1

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:40 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

low_ryda wrote:
no seals in lifters they're mechanical... only thing that can go wrong with them is they flog out(too much clearance in bores), earlier models had the bakerlite retainer clips but as i've found later models have a steel snap ring.

That's the word I was searching for... I have bought a full set of retainers to service my set because we've had very bad experiences with after market ones being noisy straight out of the bag... So opted for the 30 dollar retainers and service the genuine Ford ones...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

another servicable part that ford would lead you to believe is indeed a throw away item.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3