Fordmods Logo

Timing chain rattle! 

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Timing chain rattle!
Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

So I've got a 1992 eb 3.9 mpfi, wade mix grind cam, j3 chip, new timing chain, guides, gear, tentioner and it even came with a side of chain rattle...
Between 2400 and 3000rpm the chain rattles a little, audible within the cabin.
Motor has 210,000ks on it, runs pretty well, has low oil pressure when it's hot.
This a usual problem with these motors?

Post subject: Re: Timing chain rattle!
Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Don't know how common it is. But with this engine, it's the oil pressure that tensions the timing chain (the small spring in the tensioner is just to keep the chain from falling off the gears). So, if you have low oil pressure, that could be your problem. There is a small oil flow restrictor in the front of the block to keep pressure up in the tensioner. If this is missing or installed backwards, you might not be maintaining enough oil pressure in the tensioner.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

You can also get chain rattle when it's worn and/or stretched. Is it still the original chain?

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

I had chain rattle after I installed a 977b, then went back to stock cam. Chain rattle is still there :(

977b must of stretched or damaged something .
People have replaced all the guides, chain and tensioner and still had chain rattle.
So f**k me if I know what fixes it.

My chain rattle is fairly quiet, I've tried resetting the timing tensioner many times and still did nothing, my chain isn't too loose or too tight , so far done no damage so I'm putting up with it :roll:

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Efxr6wagon- is the flow thinging a filter looking thing lol ?? Is it in the timing tensioner ??

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Futura DUH

NSW, Australia

Its in the block in the middle of the O-ring behind the timing cover

1996 EF Futura factory manual
Fully rebuilt engine,Decked, Honed, Bored, Tolerences spot on, Wade 1673, Extractors, 2.5" zorst, 3" CAI, High flow filter, Exedy sports tuff clutch, Chiptorque tune.
Future Mods: A mortgage...

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

So when u take the tensioner out it's in the plug with the 2 holes in it ?

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

No. It's on the front of the block, behind the timing chain cover. Not a small job to get to. Personally, I would try to identify the source of the low oil pressure first. Thicker oil might help - I ran my EF on 20W-50 for years with no issues.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Fair enough .
I gave my engine a rev and stuck my head under their, it sounds like the noise is coming from the injectors or lifters.

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Injectors will always make a light high-pitched tick-tick noise, but you shouldn't be able to hear it with the bonnet closed.

The lifters often get noisy on the Ford OHC sixes - they may be due for replacement, or could just be gummed up. I notice you are running a Wade cam. Assuming it's a regrind, you should have an extra shim (or two) in each rocker arm to compensate for the smaller base circle on the cam. If it doesn't have enough shim, it will be noisy forever. What are the cam specs?

Checking for shims is reasonably straightforward and should only take a couple hours (I know some of you guys can do it in no time, but I'm very careful - and slow :oops: ). If you are going to do it, invest $50 or so in a proper repair manual (Haines, Gregory's, etc). It will save you so much time and heartache. The procedure is documented somewhere on Fordmods too - 'Search' is your friend. Two tips:
- plug all the oil drain holes in the head with pieces of rag before taking the rocker gear off; and remove the rags before putting the rocker cover back on.
- loosen and tighten the rocker gear bolts in stages, a little at a time.

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I had a 977b but it caused the rattle , now I'm running stock cam.
Tbh I'm not even 100% sure what chain rattle sounds like.

The noise I have is more of a fast ticking noise/grinding noise , not a rattle .
I can hear it with the bonnet down . Comes on around 1300-1700 rpm.

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Like I said, full timing chain kit like 1000ks before cam went in, no chain rattle before cam.
Yea wonder why the low oil pressure, also was thinking, if the timing chain cover gasket is leaking could that cause low pressure at the tentioner?

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

87SIlude wrote:
Like I said, full timing chain kit like 1000ks before cam went in, no chain rattle before cam.

Sorry...I didn't read your post properly. :oops:

Have you checked that the tensioner has been released all the way? If you use a Motorcraft oil filter, it seems to flow better than other brands. Also, what grade oil are using?

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

It's ok,
Running a ryco filter and 15/40 valvoline engine armor oil.
I'm positive the tentioner hAs released

Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Perhaps try using a thicker oil for the time being. I gather you've seen other posts about low oil pressure being caused by worn big end bearings or oil pumps. Then, there's faulty oil pressure switches.

Have you tried running the engine at idle (with the rocker cover off) to see if oil is getting through to the HLAs? The oil galleries for the chain tensioner & rocker assembly are next to each other.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next