Fordmods Logo

Timing Chain Tensioner - Priming it? 

 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

 
 Post subject: Timing Chain Tensioner - Priming it?
Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

Was talking to a bloke whose palyed with a few falcons today about the timing chain tensioner troubles I've been having, and he said they need to be primed whenyou refit them as they operate on the oil pressure and if you don't prime them they get air gaps (like not bleeding your brakes), he said jam her up with vasoline as it is petrolium based and so won't hurt your oil or anything (and flush out your oil after around 200-500kms). Anyone heard of this before? I'm keen to give it a go as I'm getting desperate now!

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 48

Posts: 7029

Joined: 18th Apr 2005

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

I had a ultercation with with one of the forum member about that not so long ago. re: priming is insurance against failure.

aways "prime the oil pump" first before starting up after a rebuilt

 

_________________

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

Well I tried it, and it's different. Now it's quiet when it revs over 2,000rpm, but noisey at idle. When before it was quiet at idle and noisey when you rev it. Queer as.

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:59 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 55

Joined: 4th Nov 2005

Ride: EF Fairmont

Location: canberra
ACT, Australia

i think another way is to squish it together in a vice and then drop in into a bucket or bowl or something of oil so that when it springs out its sucks oil in. i think thats another way of doing it im not to sure.

 

_________________

ROTOR is ROTOR spelt backwards!!!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6449

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Slick wrote:
I had a ultercation with with one of the forum member about that not so long ago. re: priming is insurance against failure.

aways "prime the oil pump" first before starting up after a rebuilt



considering we are talking about hte chain tensioner here, its hardly relivent what was done with his oil pump when the engine was built.




twr7cx
what exactly did you change??

 

_________________

PERMANENTLY BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

I changed the head and cam shaft (removed stock head and Wade 1604 and changed Tickyhead with double crow valve springs and 1636).
also removed the old tensioner when doing this to find it was broken on the cam sleeve, so replaced it and can't get the chain tense enough, so it's slapping/knocking a bit on the passenger side guide as a result (but using a screw driver to help the tensioner stops this so the tensioner isn't pushing it hard enough).

My nexty step is to replace the chain i guess,

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 43

Posts: 906

Joined: 9th Aug 2005

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB2

Location: s.e suburbs
VIC, Australia

i changed mine when i did a rebuild i just put it in and thats it did nothing to it and it was perfect from the firdt startup.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 48

Posts: 7029

Joined: 18th Apr 2005

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
Slick wrote:
I had a ultercation with with one of the forum member about that not so long ago. re: priming is insurance against failure.

aways "prime the oil pump" first before starting up after a rebuilt



considering we are talking about hte chain tensioner here, its hardly relivent what was done with his oil pump when the engine was built.




twr7cx
what exactly did you change??
exactly, didn't mention any names but it appears there is abit of animosity in the air. I throught it was forgiven & forget! 8-)

the last thing I wanna do right now is expose people true colours by pressing the right buttons. :lol:

 

_________________

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6449

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Slick wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
Slick wrote:
I had a ultercation with with one of the forum member about that not so long ago. re: priming is insurance against failure.

aways "prime the oil pump" first before starting up after a rebuilt



considering we are talking about hte chain tensioner here, its hardly relivent what was done with his oil pump when the engine was built.




twr7cx
what exactly did you change??
exactly, didn't mention any names but it appears there is abit of animosity in the air. I throught it was forgiven & forget! 8-)

the last thing I wanna do right now is expose people true colours by pressing the right buttons. :lol:



what ever dude.
your only exposeing your own true colours by pruposly trying to start a s**t fight
if you think i'm going to get into a 5 page fight your wrong.



twr7cx if i can come up with anything that might help i'll pm you

 

_________________

PERMANENTLY BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:25 am 
Site Admin
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 8831

Joined: 18th Dec 2002

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

if we're talking about the timing chain tensioner, I was under the impression it used a spring and ratchet.. nothing to do with oil or oil pressure.

It needs to be pre-tensioned, and released when being fitted.. if this isnt done correctly, you simply wont have proper chain tension, which leads to that ugly chain slapping noise at idle-1500rpm

 

_________________

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:45 am 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 1000491

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Waggin wrote:
if we're talking about the timing chain tensioner, I was under the impression it used a spring and ratchet.. nothing to do with oil or oil pressure.

It needs to be pre-tensioned, and released when being fitted.. if this isnt done correctly, you simply wont have proper chain tension, which leads to that ugly chain slapping noise at idle-1500rpm


yer my thoughts too

never ever heard of the chain being tensioned by oil pressure....

 

_________________

RIP SCOTT

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:05 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 48

Posts: 7029

Joined: 18th Apr 2005

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
Slick wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
Slick wrote:
I had a ultercation with with one of the forum member about that not so long ago. re: priming is insurance against failure.

aways "prime the oil pump" first before starting up after a rebuilt



considering we are talking about hte chain tensioner here, its hardly relivent what was done with his oil pump when the engine was built.




twr7cx
what exactly did you change??
exactly, didn't mention any names but it appears there is abit of animosity in the air. I throught it was forgiven & forget! 8-)

the last thing I wanna do right now is expose people true colours by pressing the right buttons. :lol:



what ever dude.
your only exposeing your own true colours by pruposly trying to start a s**t fight
if you think i'm going to get into a 5 page fight your wrong.


thats cool man. back to the topic!

never heard of priming the timing tensioner before. have you checked the regulator valve?. don't know if its related

 

_________________

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:22 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 43

Posts: 2705

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Yeah its spring loaded and should be compressed when chain is fitted then depressed with a small allen key. There is a tool to remove the outer lock nut. I used one when i did my head last year.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:56 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 988

Joined: 4th Dec 2004

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

giving you the benefit of doing it right considering you have the ford repair manual and proper tool.

are you sure the new tensioner isn't just a dud?
is it genuine or aftermarket?
get one from a wrecker to just give it a try.

 

_________________

why do u write in here.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

It's an aftermarket (Nason brand) tensioner. Very sure it ain't a dud (as compared it to the previous tensioner and there identical in every way). None of the wreckers here have any Falcon's with the engines still in them (actually any Falcons newer than EA are bloody hard to find being wrecked here). Yes, have been using Genuine Ford repair manual and the tool.
Were fitting it right, but it just doesn't seem to be able to push the chain enough - hence why thinking the chain is streched. We managed to fit it once and get it to stop knocking, but it made the chain super tight! Absolutely no movement at all (arm79 said should have 1 -2 mm when you push the chain with like a screwdriver). We did this buy assembling it all in uncompressed which isn't right at all and couldn't even wind the retainer in half the way!

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Facebook [Bot] and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:35 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names