Fordmods Logo

Timing problem ALL FIXED THANKS 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Timing problem ALL FIXED THANKS
Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:52 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

,i am in need of some help with the correct timing position of the dizzy,I fitted a 95 ghia tickford motor in a xh,before fitting it went like a dream with heaps of power,,now the only thing i changed to fit it was the dizzy,my problem is that from 0 to 3000 rpms it has no gutts ,but after 3000 it performs very well,my only thought is, it has to be a timing problem,i have changed all the sensors with another ghia that i have and they all seem fine.
What i realy need to know is when putting a dizzy in after it has been timed to top dead centre on no1 where does the T F I have to point to,i am sure it is wrong,i have played with this for days,any help would realy appreciate any help or advice you might offer
Brian
P S i have fitted the bbm vaccume switch and it works and i also fitted the knock sensor

Last edited by hillendcar on Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Timing problem after fitting dizzy to xr motor
Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

hillendcar wrote:
Hi,i am in need of some help with the correct timing position of the dizzy,I fitted a 95 ghia tickford motor in a xh,before fitting it went like a dream with heaps of power,,now the only thing i changed to fit it was the dizzy,my problem is that from 0 to 3000 rpms it has no gutts ,but after 3000 it performs very well,my only thought is, it has to be a timing problem,i have changed all the sensors with another ghia that i have and they all seem fine.
What i realy need to know is when putting a dizzy in after it has been timed to top dead centre on no1 where does the T F I have to point to,i am sure it is wrong,i have played with this for days,any help would realy appreciate any help or advice you might offer
Brian
P S i have fitted the bbm vaccume switch and it works and i also fitted the knock sensor

top dead centre is just a starting refernce point for ign timing. Get hold of a timing light put the computer in self diagnosis mode(short top and bottom far left pins on connector under fuse box), now adjust the timing too the notch on the the timing cover. (on log manifold motors generally have ign and 10BTDC marked and on EL's they just have 1 yellow notch.....)

BTW what you describe is retarded timing, so maybe a couple of degrees anticlockwise rotation of the dizzy might solve your problem......

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:39 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

EL__Fairmont wrote:
hillendcar wrote:
Hi,i am in need of some help with the correct timing position of the dizzy,I fitted a 95 ghia tickford motor in a xh,before fitting it went like a dream with heaps of power,,now the only thing i changed to fit it was the dizzy,my problem is that from 0 to 3000 rpms it has no gutts ,but after 3000 it performs very well,my only thought is, it has to be a timing problem,i have changed all the sensors with another ghia that i have and they all seem fine.
Brian

top dead centre is just a starting refernce point for ign timing. Get hold of a timing light put the computer in self diagnosis mode(short top and bottom far left pins on connector under fuse box), now adjust the timing too the notch on the the timing cover. (on log manifold motors generally have ign and 10BTDC marked and on EL's they just have 1 yellow notch.....)

BTW what you describe is retarded timing, so maybe a couple of degrees anticlockwise rotation of the dizzy might solve your problem......

Thanks,i understand ,and know what you said,i have a bbm,what i realy need to know is the position of the TFI, Brian

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

ive done a couple and the tfi usually runs paralell with the head, maybe a little kicked out towards passenger side

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

elf100capri wrote:
ive done a couple and the tfi usually runs paralell with the head, maybe a little kicked out towards passenger side

Thanks for that,i found the prob,it was the oxy sensor;took it for a run up the road and blew the muffler to peices,but at least it is doing what it should Brian

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]