timing trouble with falcon 97gli 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: timing trouble with falcon 97gli
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:24 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

NSW, Australia

hi there,
The timing of my car is changing all the time and you struggle to start the car, when you try to start the car one guy must turn the distrubutor and one must crank the engine, on a very bad retarded timing the car will eventually start but it will misfire very badly, then you can adjust the timing a little bit but not too much but the car don't want to ref over 3000rpm
I took the car to a auto electrician and he tested the distributor and coil and could find nothing wrong the engine timing is also correct. can it be a computor problem.Eventually I took of the head and it seams to have blown the gasket on number one piston. do you think this this will be the problem. :?

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: '97 Falcon Futura Wagon

VIC, Australia

1. The headgasket problem will simply cause it to idle a little rougher, not that bad.

2. This could definitly be a computer problem, but I'd point to the TFI module first. Are the dizzy and TFI module original Ford or are they aftermarket (i.e. ACA)? If it's an ACA (the logo is on the TFI module), replace it as they can be dodgy (I had one). If it's Ford Bosch, you might wanna look at replacing the TFI module/dizzy first, this may be cheaper. If it's definitly not these, it's probably a computer problem.

Hope this helps, Pete.

Is the noise in my head bothering you? Because the noise in yours is annoying the s**t out of me.
El Futura Wagon - LPG, Wade 1636, Pacy 4499s, hi-flow cat, 2.5" Redback catback, mild shift kit, Sony HU, VDO 100WRMS Splits, Pioneer 30WRMS Coaxs, Pioneer 12" sub, Audioline 300WPMPO amp.

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

If you're head gasket is totally stuffed then yes, this could be causing all your problems. I've had a few head gaskets go, and sometimes there's not much of a difference to the running of the engine, and other times, your engine will hardly run.

Post subject: Re: timing trouble with falcon 97gli
Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:23 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

leon campher wrote:
when you try to start the car one guy must turn the distrubutor and one must crank the engine
Geez, watch your fingers . . . .
I'd suggest setting base timing correctly (if possible), then sort out your head gasket.
Also note where the dizzy rotor sits when you set up TDC to pull the camshaft, before pulling the head.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:47 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL XR6

SA, Australia

id be checking for a blocked cat converter. that will explain the hard starting, and the engine not reving over 3000 rpm

Post subject: help!!!!!!!
Posted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:31 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

NSW, Australia

Me again, did the head gasket eventually but it still doesn't want to start. we did change the outer module on the distrubutor but the trigger power that goes to the coil isn't constant 8 volts it changes all the time. there is spark on the sparkplugs but it is very weak. tired of struggling with the car ,going to make it burn. :x

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]