Top dead centre 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Top dead centre
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF & BA

QLD, Australia

Hi...I appreciate the help I get on here, & now I have a new task, I am using EA-ED injection system on the EF motor in my speedway car & have to use the matching ECU, so I have to instal the EA dizzy, can some one please tell me the process of finding TDC so I can put the dizzy in the right slot .

Any help again greatly appreciated

Alex

PS If there is anyone in the Lowood, Gatton, Ipswich area that could give me a hand in person I would appreciate that too lol

Post subject: Re: Top dead centre
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

take number 1 spark plug out, stick your finger into the plug hole and slowly turn the motor clockwise until you feel pressure pushing on your finger, keep going until the pressure stops, then drop the dizzy in where the rotor button points to where the number one spark plug lead would be on the distibutor cap, also make sure it drops right down because the bottom of the distributor drives the oil pump and if its not put in properly you wont have oil pressure among other problems, you also may have to drop the distributor in and move the oil pump then pull the dizzy out and drop it in tdc after the oil pumps been moved

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Cool ...isnt there a chance I could be 180 degrees out ? & if so how could I tell... appreciating your help...

Alex

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

thats why you have your finger over the spark plug hole, when theres pressure against your finger its the compression stroke coming up with both valves completly shut, compressing the air and fuel mixture ready to ignite and explode, so thats your top dead centre

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

you must do it with number 1 cylinder though,(closest cylinder to the front of the motor)

BF XR6

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Excellent...its so easy when you know how lol..... Thank You soooo much

Kind regards...Alex

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

i only recently got an el with distributor and i had a rough idea on what i was doing as i had payed around with old 4cyls in the paddock but id just throw the dizzy in and the car would work lol, i was only a kid though, i had a few problems doing the dizzy on my car so i have a fair idea now on what needs to be done and what problems you could run into

BF XR6

Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:17 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

you can use a screw driver by the way. Let the screwdriver (preferably a blunt one or tape the end so it doesn't score/scratch the cylinder wall) sit in side the plug hole and just turn the engine over (clockwise) until the screwdriver is pretty much sitting at its highest point.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]