Fordmods Logo

Page 2 of 6 [ 84 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:33 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

The more the projection into the cylinder, the better the burn.

There are issues with running this sort of plug in a race motor with continuous operation but on the street or drags there are no issues from my experience.

I use a 1.5mm gap with the 985 plugs and it allows me to run a leaner tune at cruise when compared to stock plug and gaps.

I agree with JMM claims of a slight power increase. Its all about projection into the cylinder giving the benefit.

Turbo 6s rule

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

turbotrana wrote:

There are issues with running this sort of plug in a race motor with continuous operation but on the street or drags there are no issues from my experience.

I use a 1.5mm gap with the 985 plugs and it allows me to run a leaner tune at cruise when compared to stock plug and gaps.

I agree with JMM claims of a slight power increase. Its all about projection into the cylinder giving the benefit.

so a set of NGK EA-ED plugs into a EF/EL head should perform better as they project nearly as far as autolites?

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

EL__Fairmont wrote:
turbotrana wrote:

so a set of NGK EA-ED plugs into a EF/EL head should perform better as they project nearly as far as autolites?

yeah but the autolites are cheaper if you know were to get them.

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

turbotrana wrote:

i wouldn't want any more then the 985s have got. because you start to go past the mid point and get close to the piston.

i think a better way of putting it is the closer to the center of the chamber the better the burn.

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
EL__Fairmont wrote:
turbotrana wrote:

yeah but the autolites are cheaper if you know were to get them.

where do we get them from tickford_6?

MTQ rockhampton?

PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

MTQ are the Australian distributor.

you can also get them in platinum and double platinum. obviously these cost more then the regular ones. but if you pay more then $4 each you are being ripped

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Google search came up with this,

"Projected plugs initiate the flame-front closer to the center of the combustion chamber, which has an effect similar to advancing the timing".

Same as you described it "Tickford_6"

Looks like The Mock boys are on the money....................

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 1999 AU futura

NSW, Australia

That autolite plugs looks very very similar to the J16 denso variant plug that is run in the xf to ed motors,like what was mentioned earlier in this thread.

As for using autolite brand,they are crap dont last long.Bosch and NGK are a far better brand as well as NIPPON DENSO too.

This is what i have come across with the autolite plugs they dont like to be flooded and have seen this across alot of makes and models of cars.But if you like hearing that they make you go faster be my guest.

As earlier mentioned about the projection of the plug will help a better burn and increase of power.But also heat range will of the plug will need to be changed running a higher projection to prevent plug failure.

Another thing race engines i have seen is that all the spark plugs are aligned in a special order/direction this also promotes better combustion at a great time meaning firing at the right spot.For example marking the plug ouside of the plug to observe which way it is facing with the other ones and also having the electrode tip of the plug facing the correct angle at which the spark is greater to create a sufficient burn.

COMING SOON,XD WITH A TURBO...CLEVO STYLE

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

NSW, Australia

quick google of autolite
you can buy app63's from rarespares
all 6 for $97 posted

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

KRUPTD wrote:
That autolite plugs looks very very similar to the J16 denso variant plug that is run in the xf to ed motors,like what was mentioned earlier in this thread.

As for using autolite brand,they are crap dont last long.Bosch and NGK are a far better brand as well as NIPPON DENSO too.

This is what i have come across with the autolite plugs they dont like to be flooded and have seen this across alot of makes and models of cars.But if you like hearing that they make you go faster be my guest.

As earlier mentioned about the projection of the plug will help a better burn and increase of power.But also heat range will of the plug will need to be changed running a higher projection to prevent plug failure.

Another thing race engines i have seen is that all the spark plugs are aligned in a special order/direction this also promotes better combustion at a great time meaning firing at the right spot.For example marking the plug ouside of the plug to observe which way it is facing with the other ones and also having the electrode tip of the plug facing the correct angle at which the spark is greater to create a sufficient burn.

So you think it would make a 4rwkw difference, as mentioned by the Mock boys...??????

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: FALCON EB TURBO, EL XR6

NSW, Australia

KRUPTD wrote:

Its called indexing.

FALCAHOLIC

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU EVEN TRIED

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: f6 rspec

NSW, Australia

so would i notice a difference going from the zgr6b-11 plugs, to the bre527y-11 in a 95 tickford motor?

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: AU XR6

Power: 171 rwkw

NSW, Australia

mystro wrote:
quick google of autolite
you can buy app63's from rarespares
all 6 for $97 posted

Bloody hell, I don't even think mock charges that much for them.

9/98 AU1 XR6hp-about to retire from the road and be reborn on the race track.
86 ZL mint grandpa spec with premo sound and 150000km
07 TTG 60000km stock as, mods to come.
97 el futura about to be MOCKed

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

pic of plugs. ea-ed(longer projection), ef/el

Last edited by EL__Fairmont on Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
a few things to note about the plugs.

the 985 comes with a gap of .9mm which is .2mm smaller then what ford use in it's petrol (non LPG) 6cyl engines.

i run the 985 with a gap of 1.3mm and also index them as best can be done with what comes in the box of 6.

i've found running a .9mm gap (using any plug) in the AU causes random misfiring at idle an noticeable missing on light acceleration.

If you use LPG in an AU, the plug gap for them was 0.9mm, and previous models were 0.8mm.
The plug gap for petrol only AU's was 1.3mm.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 6  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next