Fordmods Logo

torque and power 

 

Page 2 of 8 [ 118 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

 
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:34 pm 
Site Admin
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 8831

Joined: 18th Dec 2002

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

South wrote:
Assume car A is only efficient from 13000rpm to 16000rpm, whereas car B is efficient from 800rpm to 2000rpm :D


Car A is lighter, with fluffy dice and a turbo to boost VE from idle to 13,000rpm :)

 

_________________

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 607

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: XR6

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
sickd wrote:
if torque does not matter then why are turbos fast COS THEY MAKE f**k LOADS OF TORQUE

definition
TORQUE - IS PULLING POWER THE ABILITY TO MOVE WEIGHT


KIllowatt - WANK FACTOR - of course you need it but its not what gets the car going

you can have 200 kw out of a 2lt but it aint gonna have a lot of torque and it is not going to run a quick time unless its in a gocart


do you hear of naturally aspirated 148 rwkw 2ltr cars pulling 14 second passes

definately not in a big heavy car


sickd wrote:
the 5ltr will have a higher torque figure if it did not it would be pointless having a f**k 5lt

how do you figure it will be same

i am saying it will be higher and usually a higher torque figure will help to quicker times than a car with same kw and less torque IF cars are simmilar or same in weight

f**k its not hard to understand


ok a ba na 6 187 or what not has nilly 400 torque
vz 6 192 or so kw still has lees torque BECAUSE THE CUBES ARE LOWER

DAM IT MAN GO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND


yet a VZ is Faster this comes to weight being a factor which is not what im arguing


i think you have both completly missed the point of this.

yes torque is what gets you down the road.

and as you say power is wank.
but power is calculated from torque.

every one talks about torque being th down low pulling power and KW or HP being the up high pulling power.

the reality is torque is the pulling power every where in the revs.
and power is just a number found using simple math.

and it where in the revs that there is more torque, that determins how QUICK your car is.


a good example of all of this is putting an EF XR6 next to an EF XR8
and we all know what happens there the V8 gets left behind. yet it has more torque lower in the revs.


Quote:
the 5ltr will have a higher torque figure if it did not it would be pointless having a f**k 5lt

how do you figure it will be same


he never said it would be that same peak torque.

he said if both engine make 150kw @5000 rpm that both engine would have the same torque AT THAT RPM it's all in the math and you can't argue with it




he did say they would have same read the the first 8 lines somewere there is says it

that what im fighting

 

_________________

BA XR8 BOSS 260
Winter White
18' gt-p wheels
Flash Tuned
2 jl 13.5' w3's
tv indash

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:36 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 295

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Ride: EF Fairmont

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

tickford_6: We realise that yes at that same time they will have the same torque with the figures provided. However it is the nonsense that is included after that statement that is bewildering!

It is beyond me how stockstandard came up with that information, I dont even want to consider how he/she resulted in those comments!

 

_________________

Fulli Sik Re

Last edited by South on Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 607

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: XR6

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Waggin wrote:
South wrote:
Assume car A is only efficient from 13000rpm to 16000rpm, whereas car B is efficient from 800rpm to 2000rpm :D


Car A is lighter, with fluffy dice and a turbo to boost VE from idle to 13,000rpm :)


Yeah i think he lives in st albans to :wink:

 

_________________

BA XR8 BOSS 260
Winter White
18' gt-p wheels
Flash Tuned
2 jl 13.5' w3's
tv indash

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 49

Posts: 505

Joined: 14th Nov 2004

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ford au wagon 4.0 na

Power: 170 rwkw

Location: Merrylands
NSW, Australia

My popcorn is finshed..dam!!! Guys forget the figures. Some bloke invented them for guys like us to debate power vs torque.The bloke who invented the 2 should be shot !!!!

There should really be only 1 way of measuring true back wheel power.This method should accurately log the power at each rpm or kmph but have it timed.Whats the point of 700nm of torque or 700 rwkws which comes on after the bmw has thrashed you?

My bro with a 6 cylinder bmw has 136 rwkws and has beaten ba xr8's..badly.
Why? Because his real power curve comes on quick.

A real measure of power is the amount of energy to move a certain weight a certain distance.This is why power and dynos are nice but I have given up on them.My dyno is the gtech and for others the 1/4 mile.

Just my take on this..now if you want mow mw down!! I am going for more popcorn.

 

_________________

14.77 @92.71mph July 06 14.52@95.68mph July 07 14.241 96.7 MPH in a shoebox/taxi au ford wagon!!Bwahahah still cant believe it!!!

Last edited by USELESS on Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:39 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 295

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Ride: EF Fairmont

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
South wrote:
Assume car A is only efficient from 13000rpm to 16000rpm, whereas car B is efficient from 800rpm to 2000rpm :D



then if both cars had the same torque, car A would have a s**t load more power and would s**t all over car B


Think that comment over please!

 

_________________

Fulli Sik Re

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 49

Posts: 505

Joined: 14th Nov 2004

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ford au wagon 4.0 na

Power: 170 rwkw

Location: Merrylands
NSW, Australia

My popcorn is finshed..dam!!! Guys forget the figures. Some bloke invented them for guys like us to debate power vs torque.The bloke who invented the 2 should be shot !!!!

There should really be only 1 way of measuring true back wheel power.This method should accurately log the power at each rpm or kmph but have it timed.Whats the point of 700nm of torque or 700 rwkws which comes on after the bmw has thrashed you?

My bro with a 6 cylinder has 136 rwkws and has beaten ba xr8's..badly.
Why? Because his real power curve comes on quick.

A real measure of power is the amount of energy to move a certain weight a certain distance.This is why power and dynos are nice but I have given up on them.My dyno is the gtech and for others the 1/4 mile.

Just my take on this..now if you want mow mw down!! I am going for more popcorn.

 

_________________

14.77 @92.71mph July 06 14.52@95.68mph July 07 14.241 96.7 MPH in a shoebox/taxi au ford wagon!!Bwahahah still cant believe it!!!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6913

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

I will never understand the difference between torque and power. Doesnt matter how many different ways you care to explain I just dont get it.
I guess thats why Isaac Newton is classed as a smart f**k.

 

_________________

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 607

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: XR6

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

USELESS wrote:
My popcorn is finshed..dam!!! Guys forget the figures. Some bloke invented them for guys like us to debate power vs torque.The bloke who invented the 2 should be shot !!!!

There should really be only 1 way of measuring true back wheel power.This method should accurately log the power at each rpm or kmph but have it timed.Whats the point of 700nm of torque or 700 rwkws which comes on after the bmw has thrashed you?

My bro with a 6 cylinder has 136 rwkws and has beaten ba xr8's..badly.
Why? Because his real power curve comes on quick.

A real measure of power is the amount of energy to move a certain weight a certain distance.This is why power and dynos are nice but I have given up on them.My dyno is the gtech and for others the 1/4 mile.

Just my take on this..now if you want mow mw down!! I am going for more popcorn.



hahaha i like the comment bout the bmw thats funny i like it how all who are in here joke it up and make it fun keep it up guys lol :D

 

_________________

BA XR8 BOSS 260
Winter White
18' gt-p wheels
Flash Tuned
2 jl 13.5' w3's
tv indash

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6449

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

sickd wrote:
South wrote:
Assume car A is only efficient from 13000rpm to 16000rpm, whereas car B is efficient from 800rpm to 2000rpm :D


which goes to show different engine size




try to under stand this

the torque needed to 400HP at 5500 RPM is 418.88f/lb of torque

the size of the engine has NOTHING to do with it a given power will need a given amount of torque.

thats not saying that the peak torque is the same for every 400hp engine or that the torque curve is the same for every 400hp engine.

you can by only knowing the power of an engine at different RPM points work out how much torque it has.

dont beleive me search the net find a dyno graph and post up the power in 500rpm steps and tell us nothing els about the engine an i will tell you the torque that those same points.

 

_________________

PERMANENTLY BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 607

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: XR6

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Timmeh wrote:
I will never understand the difference between torque and power. Doesnt matter how many different ways you care to explain I just dont get it.
I guess thats why Isaac Newton is classed as a smart f**k.



dont worry mate it just gets you in fights hahahaha

 

_________________

BA XR8 BOSS 260
Winter White
18' gt-p wheels
Flash Tuned
2 jl 13.5' w3's
tv indash

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 49

Posts: 505

Joined: 14th Nov 2004

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ford au wagon 4.0 na

Power: 170 rwkw

Location: Merrylands
NSW, Australia

Sick dont get me involved in the argument mate.I think BMWS are ugly.But that thing does beat the ba xr8's 0-100 without any problem.It is a bmw 330 ci coupe as a matter of fact.The engine technology in that I have not even seen in my dreams!! Ford might do it in 10 years if we are lucky.

 

_________________

14.77 @92.71mph July 06 14.52@95.68mph July 07 14.241 96.7 MPH in a shoebox/taxi au ford wagon!!Bwahahah still cant believe it!!!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:46 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 295

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Ride: EF Fairmont

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Timmeh wrote:
I will never understand the difference between torque and power. Doesnt matter how many different ways you care to explain I just dont get it.
I guess thats why Isaac Newton is classed as a smart f**k.


Torque = the amount of effort it takes to have a wank
Power = the end result after all that stroking*

*Stroking in this case = rpm

Cop That
:lol:

 

_________________

Fulli Sik Re

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6449

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

South wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
South wrote:
Assume car A is only efficient from 13000rpm to 16000rpm, whereas car B is efficient from 800rpm to 2000rpm :D



then if both cars had the same torque, car A would have a s**t load more power and would s**t all over car B


Think that comment over please!




yeah i did and asuming both cars are set up to make use of the power properly i' right.


think 800hp power indy car and the revs used
now think 800 big block and the revs used

put both in the same car and what happens

or think about a 600hp power truck engine that uses no more then 2300rpm
now think of a 600hp V8 that uses say up to 7500rpm.

put them both in a car that is say 1600KG the V8 will be faster.

then put them both in a 7 tone truck and the truck engine will be faster.

now put them both where they belong and the V8 will be faster.

point proven

 

_________________

PERMANENTLY BANNED

Last edited by tickford_6 on Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 607

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: XR6

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

USELESS wrote:
My popcorn is finshed..dam!!! Guys forget the figures. Some bloke invented them for guys like us to debate power vs torque.The bloke who invented the 2 should be shot !!!!

There should really be only 1 way of measuring true back wheel power.This method should accurately log the power at each rpm or kmph but have it timed.Whats the point of 700nm of torque or 700 rwkws which comes on after the bmw has thrashed you?

My bro with a 6 cylinder has 136 rwkws and has beaten ba xr8's..badly.
Why? Because his real power curve comes on quick.

A real measure of power is the amount of energy to move a certain weight a certain distance.This is why power and dynos are nice but I have given up on them.My dyno is the gtech and for others the 1/4 mile.

Just my take on this..now if you want mow mw down!! I am going for more popcorn.



we have to tread carefully cos if these xr8 guys put a 3.45 diff gear set in there xr8 and its a manual they will eat most of us its cos they never put a lot of effort into the v8s back then they focused on the xr6

xr6 came out with 3.45 gears and a heavy duty clutch and the v8 came out with a bigger clutch (cos itsa a 8 but it was a standard clutch) like putting a standard in out 6 packs


i think with same diff gear and same t5 box they will munch us hard fact but its true


i also think us xr6s that beat all these vn ss vs ss are lucky cos be beat the s**t C*** who cant drive and most of these ss have wogged out stereos with a 100 kg box for subs and usually 17s on them which does slow you down

 

_________________

BA XR8 BOSS 260
Winter White
18' gt-p wheels
Flash Tuned
2 jl 13.5' w3's
tv indash

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 2 of 8  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:05 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names