Post subject: Re: torque ratings on i6 ef el & au
Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:00 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
fiftyone wrote:
au head = limited options for cam swaps

VCT heads yes, every other AU head, no.

to make things a little more interesting i have fitted the au1645 into the vct head...
the head is the same bar the vct unit at the front of the head...

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:37 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: XF ute

NSW, Australia

well,this is getting better all the time.just been on the crow cams website and they do several au cams.I have used crow before in a clevo and worked really well.also i`m looking at this engine to buy,it is a au2 engine.any different?

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:10 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Grimketel wrote:
the au's can get 10-15kws on average just with a flash tune, motor left stock, thanks to ford giving them an overly economy biased factory tune.

The rev nicer thanks to a (very slightly) longer rod/stroke ratio, which multiplies itself if you throw in a top end cam.

lso jumping to a 9 counterweight crank instead of a y counterweight crank made it rev smoother as well, changes to rod/stroke were so minor its a non issue, AU actually get a similar crank to the EF, its also got to do with the rocker ratios as well, less spinning mass in the head had alot to do with making the entire thing a bit smoother. nothing some e series rocker gear and a fat cam will not fix though :lol:

If your looking at cams I would personally go with a wade or CMS cam fot the 6cyl, crow and those boys do V8 cams well but have been somewhat limited in the I6 cam development. CMS and wade have put alot of time into cam development and have proven products. with realistic prices.

from my understanding AU 1 and AU2 had the same setup, not mechanical revisions on the motor. I am sure if i am incorrect that i will be put back in line. major differences in the AU live up included, Sequential injection over batch injection, from the the e series, already mentioned the crank changes, Otherwise the choices that exsist are Au stock, AU XR and VCT variety motors.

Sequential injection also helped smoothen things out as well.most will generally go for a SII or SIII motor as generally they will be lower in KM's and any revisions from series 1 to series 2 would have been resolved.

I have a car.

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
fiftyone wrote:

actually its time to disagree with that.. wade cams,camtech,crow cams and cms all do the e series equivilent cams for au....
i just got the 1673 equivilent for the au.(au1645)..

you sure the 45 is the 73 equiv? ive got a 1671au sitting here at home that is supposed to be the 73 equiv.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

TROYMAN wrote:
krisisdog wrote:
to make things a little more interesting i have fitted the au1645 into the vct head... the head is the same bar the vct unit at the front of the head...
Just to clarify this position - You aren't running the Variable Cam Timing though... Although, if you did connect it up I'd be interested to hear the results. If I am correct in my thinking it only "varies" at lower RPM? This could work out to be a decent way to run a lumpy cam in front of an auto without the need for an expensive a high stall!
:D
(Or it could just make it run like a complete pile of poo...)

Maybe you could jam the "variable" bit by putting a spacer (and weld) to stop it moving quite so far when engaged so that you're only doing the cam timing a few degrees here and there... Hmmph.

I, too, was under the impression a year ago that AU cams were few and far between. Obviously that thinking is very outdated and the AU engine should now be taking over for the stock car boys too. There are quite a few E series heads being sold from stockcars now in NZ... The odd thing is that none of them have thought of putting their expensive worked heads onto AU bottom ends.

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:22 am 

NSW, Australia

Grimketel wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
fiftyone wrote:

actually its time to disagree with that.. wade cams,camtech,crow cams and cms all do the e series equivilent cams for au....
i just got the 1673 equivilent for the au.(au1645)..

you sure the 45 is the 73 equiv? ive got a 1671au sitting here at home that is supposed to be the 73 equiv.

chris@wade cams told me its the equivilant to the 1673 but the specs do put it closer to the 977b..?
either way its a good cam..

Cam lift 0.284" in/ex
Valve lift 0.512" in/ex
Advertised duration 266 degrees in/ex
Duration @ 0.050" 205 degrees
Lobe centre 114.5
do you have the specs on the au1671 ?? as you may be right..

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:35 am 

NSW, Australia

fiend wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
krisisdog wrote:
to make things a little more interesting i have fitted the au1645 into the vct head... the head is the same bar the vct unit at the front of the head...
Just to clarify this position - You aren't running the Variable Cam Timing though... Although, if you did connect it up I'd be interested to hear the results. If I am correct in my thinking it only "varies" at lower RPM? This could work out to be a decent way to run a lumpy cam in front of an auto without the need for an expensive a high stall!
:D
(Or it could just make it run like a complete pile of poo...)

Maybe you could jam the "variable" bit by putting a spacer (and weld) to stop it moving quite so far when engaged so that you're only doing the cam timing a few degrees here and there... Hmmph.

I, too, was under the impression a year ago that AU cams were few and far between. Obviously that thinking is very outdated and the AU engine should now be taking over for the stock car boys too. There are quite a few E series heads being sold from stockcars now in NZ... The odd thing is that none of them have thought of putting their expensive worked heads onto AU bottom ends.

the vct cam and cam gear have been replaced with a non vct cam and vernea gear and the vct is non operational.
unfortunatly the front of the vct cams are different compared to the std au cam and the vct cam gear wont bolt onto the std cam..
the issues that were with the au cams were that the au ecu dont like changes in manifold vac.(std au ecu requiring an edit)..
but if the au engine is in an e series with e series ecu or aftermarket ecu the cam choices are as good as the e series..

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

So, get rid of the MAF and do a MAP? Do the AU2 & 3 use MAF? Hmmmm. Interesting indeedly. Any chance you have a photo of the front of the old VCT cam (and associated parts) and could take a photo of the cam ..... ......... .......... ...........
{{{ HANG ABOUT, didn't I see something like that on your build thread recently }}}

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:44 pm 

NSW, Australia

fiend wrote:
So, get rid of the MAF and do a MAP? Do the AU2 & 3 use MAF? Hmmmm. Interesting indeedly. Any chance you have a photo of the front of the old VCT cam (and associated parts) and could take a photo of the cam ..... ......... .......... ...........
{{{ HANG ABOUT, didn't I see something like that on your build thread recently }}}

there is a pic of the non vct cam in the vct head in my build thread..
ill try find the vct cam gear and take a pic...

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
chris@wade cams told me its the equivilant to the 1673 but the specs do put it closer to the 977b..?
either way its a good cam..

Cam lift 0.284" in/ex
Valve lift 0.512" in/ex
Advertised duration 266 degrees in/ex
Duration @ 0.050" 205 degrees
Lobe centre 114.5
do you have the specs on the au1671 ?? as you may be right..

the 1671au:

lift: 278/279
valve lift: .5004/.5022
adv duration: 263/266
Duration @ 050: 207/202
phase: 114
lift at tdc: 043/039

the 71 seems a tad smaller than the 45, but has slightly differing durations and lifts on the int/exh.

One of our members is using the 1671 on an el hybrid, with a reco bottom end, and made mid 150's iirc.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:52 am 

NSW, Australia

i seee!!
so the1671 =1673 and
the 1645 =977b then... :)

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I bought the 1671 when it was still an auto and no plans for a manual... but now its a manual.. I shoulda got the 45 ><

Although the 3.89s will be changed over for 3.45's when I can get it all together. a 1645's top end with the 3.89s would be mental.

with the stock cam in i shift up at 4000rpm, theres just no point letting it spin.

enough isn't enough

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2