Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

madmax wrote:
marknisbet wrote:
well, if its anything like new south wales, ur only allowed to tow up to 250kg, so i would check the rules out before u do it, or just do it and dont get caught.

Every single state in Australia has the same towing laws.
You can tow up to 1.5 times the tow vehicles wieght, providing the trailer is fitted with brakes and the tow vehicle has an approved tow bar/hitch rated at or above the the legal towing capacity.

tandem axle trailers have brakes on them.
But even if you don't have a towpack - just go abit slower and don't put it in "D" - drive in 3rd.

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

QLD, Australia

I use my ED toi tow cars on trailers all the time, never had a problem with it, its got the 2300kg tow-pack ..

try to get as much of the cars weight forward, But yeah, anycar could just about pull anything, its just a matter of how well car on your car stop it!?

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Make sure you load ANY trailer correctly! As far as i know, you have a 90kg maximum load limit on the ball. Preferably less. Make sure it isnt lifting the back of the car, yet not too heavy on the ball either. Secure it properly, dont just use the hand brake, and make sure you use straps or chains with a load rating. Any chain will be fine, but straps will want to be rated. Other than that, keep an eye on the load, make sure it isnt shifting, and take it careful. Not hard

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

the rule of thumb for ball weight is that it should be 1/10th of the total weight of the trailer+load

Banned

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

In may I was towing a 5 x 8 tandem axle (4 wheels) trailer with cage between Broome and Cairns. On the third day of travel, about 40 minutes outside Kununurra whilst cruising at 90kph the trailer SUDDENLY got up a huge oscillation which after a few s**t seconds left us sitting in the scrub off the OPPOSITE side of the road (facing the way we came) with trailer TOTALLY DESTROYED.

The rear bumper of the car was busted, the tow head of the trailer punched into the a*** of the car just under the driver side indicator cluster (going thru the bumper to do so) - the chain kept us connected to the trailer even after it had popped off the hitch. The old girl drove the rest of the way to Cairns no worries albeit without a rear bumper.

We had travelled over 1000km the previous 2 days over much worse roads all at 90kph with no dramas. The trailer was definitely full to at least 750kg gross - but if it was over it would have been only by 50 kg or so.

There was approximately 15kg weight on the towball - I think in hindsight this was not enough and may have contributed to the problem (ie. on the road with wind force the trailer probably had too much aft centre of weight) but I strongly suspect we had a spring come out of it's shackle or a tyre deflate - however my main point here is that I will wish for the rest of my life that A. The load had DEFINITELY been under the 750kg limit; B. I had been doing no more than 70kph when it all went wrong; and C. I had used a pissy little shackle on the chain - not the big strong bastard I did use - maybe even piece of fence wire would have been better (with a pissy little shackle the trailer would have probably gone off into the bush and just left us parked sideways on the road but with the car undamaged).

In short - DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT TOWING LOADS YOUR NOT RIGGED PROPERLY FOR (I'd have trailer brakes for anything over 500kg myself in future) - AND GO F**k SLOW AS YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH, NOT AS FAST AS YOU THINK YOU CAN.

... and Thank God no one was coming the other way....

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2