Towing with an EBII 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Towing with an EBII
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Toyota Supra RZ

VIC, Australia

Should I be okay towing a 1500kg car (trans am) on a tandem behind an ebII fairmont? I assume I would be.

Also does anyone know the legality of this as I'm on victorian P plates.

As far as i can tell from vicroads exceptional website there aren't any restrictions on p plate towers (although i thought p platers would only be allowed to tow smallish box trailers ?)

Thanks !

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:49 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

well, if its anything like new south wales, ur only allowed to tow up to 250kg, so i would check the rules out before u do it, or just do it and dont get caught.

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

eek..!!

vicroads website is ridiculous.. took me long enough to find the info about L platers not being allowed to tow.

I spose i better sus it out... or just take my p plates down and give it a burl ;)

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

dont do it unless you have the 2300kg towbar, as well as the rest of the heavy duty towing pack, the trans-am and car trailer will exceed the weight limit of anything but the heaviest towbar....

Banned

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL XR6

WA, Australia

Your also going to be asking too much of your brakes...they've not only gotta stop 1500kgs of car, but about 800kg of trailer and another 1500kg car. If the trailer has it's own brakes you may get away with it, but I sure as hell wouldn't be towing it without hydro/elec brakes on the trailer.

Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

marknisbet wrote:
well, if its anything like new south wales, ur only allowed to tow up to 250kg, so i would check the rules out before u do it, or just do it and dont get caught.

Every single state in Australia has the same towing laws.
You can tow up to 1.5 times the tow vehicles wieght, providing the trailer is fitted with brakes and the tow vehicle has an approved tow bar/hitch rated at or above the the legal towing capacity.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Hmmm!!!

regardling the road rules i rang up vic roads just before on works phone..

No restrictions regarding the license (just gotta have p plate on the back of the trailer if u cant see the one on the back window), just gotta follow the vehicles towing specs.

Might have to check out whats on the fairmont cause when i got it i wasn't really looking at the towing gear!

It's a pity cause we have a range rover at home with no engine cause the crank snapped !!

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

EB's can tow up to 2300kg with the right towbar

Banned

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:30 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

madmax wrote:
marknisbet wrote:

Every single state in Australia has the same towing laws.
You can tow up to 1.5 times the tow vehicles wieght, providing the trailer is fitted with brakes and the tow vehicle has an approved tow bar/hitch rated at or above the the legal towing capacity.

I meant that in regards to towing on p plates, not towing with full licences, sorry, didnt make that clear.

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

Before towing that sort of weight, make sure your car has a transmission oil cooler on it.

If it doesn't and you do tow the trailer, especially for any sort of long distance then there is every chance that you will be shopping for a new transmission shortly afterwards. The transmission fluid will overheat and cause you huge drama's.

As for the trailer brakes thing, all trailers with a gross weight over 750kg's are required to have trailer brakes fitted. As far as this goes and as long as you are towing within the limit of the law (weight wise) just drive accordingly, ie slowly, and you should be fine. INcrease your following/stopping distances and definately don't exceed 80 k's as that much weight behind the vehicle can make them have independent thoughts.

If you can get them, use weght distribution bars between the car and trailer to improve the behaviour of the combination.

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII Ghia

gee in my ebII gli without a heavy towpack and its done 270k i towed a trialer 2000 k's to pick up my cousins corvette and towed it all the way back, the trialer never had brakes so i was using the gears (utomatic) to help slow down while using the brake when i gothome ihad to change my front pads though :)

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

dsheps83 wrote:
gee in my ebII gli without a heavy towpack and its done 270k i towed a trialer 2000 k's to pick up my cousins corvette and towed it all the way back, the trialer never had brakes so i was using the gears (utomatic) to help slow down while using the brake when i gothome ihad to change my front pads though :)

Another example of a triumph of Ford engineering over driver stupidity.

Cars have tow limits -and towball vertical load weights

Trailers have weights

Dont exceed the maximums, it's that simple.

Recently 6 students on an american FSAE team died after their overloaded trailer fishtaled out of control on a highway.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

My mates EB hit a wombat doing 110km about 4 months ago, i drove up there to get him and his car as if was f*cked, about a 7 hour trip just to get there.
I towed his car back on a tandom using my ED ghia. It was a bit risky, but you should be fine, couldnt go any faster then 80 though. Braking was s**t, you gotta be real careful with that. i was mainly on huge roads (hume) and a few others so it was pretty ok, but i wouldnt recommend towing a load that large in a built up area thats for sure.

Just gotta be extra observent of whats happening around you and how close cars are etc.

Cheers, Big Gill.

And I Kept Thinking... "How Can I Tell Her She Is F**king Hot Without Ruining The Conversation With My Pervertedness?"

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

dsheps83 wrote:

if the cops had pulled you over, you would've been forced to remove the trailer on the spot, and if youd've been in an accident, your insurance would be invalid simply because you were towing under illegal conditions

Banned

Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII Ghia

yeah well i found out in w.a your ponly allowed to tow a trailer at 100 we were sittin on 115 still gettin up to 140 overtaking cars !!!!! i have now sold that car (stupid car yard) bougth me eslf a 97 el fairmont ghia. dont treat this one like me old eb

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next