Transmission filler and Inspection hole location with piccys 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Transmission filler and Inspection hole location with piccys
Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:52 am 
QLD Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Ford Falcon Wagon

QLD, Australia

For those like me who didnt know where the hole was to see if your tranny was full and couldnt find any info or photos on it well i found some else where so thought if you are like me you would appreciate knowing where to check i checked the Gregorys repair book and jeez if you can see the photo in it your doing better than me just a blur. Hope this helps

If you own a Falcon manufactured after Febuary 1996 chances are you have gone looking for the transmission dipstick and come up blank, and for good reason, they don’t have one! Falcons made after this date have a ’sealed’ transmission and have no dipstick, only a filler plug on the side of the transmission similar to what you would find on a manual gearbox.

This does make checking the fluid level and condition a bit more involved however with a trolley jack, two sets of chassis stands and a good quality 16mm ring spanner or socket and ratchet it can be done without too much drama. The reason I say to use good quality tools is because the plug in the transmission is usually very tight and sooo easy to round off and the only way you can be sure that this won’t happen to you is if you use quality tools.
This check should be done when the transmission fluid is cold.

The first thing to do is to jack the car up front and rear and try to get it as level as possible. It is important to use chassis stands as you will be getting underneath the car and this should not be done when the car is supported by the jack alone if you want to celebrate your next birthday!
Once you have the car level and secure, slide underneath the drivers side about in line with the front of the drivers door. This is what you are looking for; (please note in this pic the exhaust is removed as this transmission was coming out but it will give you the general idea).

Attachment:
falcon-auto-1.jpg
falcon-auto-1.jpg [ 27.8 KiB | Viewed 145 times ]

Attachment:
falcon-auto-2.jpg
falcon-auto-2.jpg [ 23.86 KiB | Viewed 132 times ]

Now with your 16mm spanner or socket fitted as squarely as possible on the plug heave on it in a anti-clockwise direction. All going well it should undo and screw all the way out with no problems. The plug has an ‘o’ ring on it to stop any fluid leaking.

When cold the transmission fluid should be level with this hole. The easiest way to get an idea of the fluids condition is to stick a clean finger in to the hole and have a look at the colour on your finger and also smell the fluid, checking for any ‘burnt’ or overheated smell.
NOTE: ‘Dexron’ type transmission fluid is not compatible with these transmissions. The correct ‘TQ95′ transmission fluid must be used.

If the fluid is not a clean red colour or if it smells like it has been hot I would advise getting a transmission service done as soon as possible. Also a good idea is to fit an aftermarket transmission cooler as the factory one is limited in it’s cooling capacity.

Post subject: Re: Transmission filler and Inspection hole location with piccys
Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:53 am 
QLD Cruise Moderator

QLD, Australia

use a 5/8 spanner it fits better, and yes i had too much fluid in about a litre and a half more than i should have but it did run good but it didnt solve my problem so under the bonnet again and check all the wires and moved them around and bingo its working ok again about to test it into Ipswich and see if i make their and back ok police are giving engine immobolisers away today for free so off i go

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Did you check the trans fluid hot or cold????.......should be done cold/cool, and after it has been run through the gears, switched off and check asap.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:40 pm 
QLD Cruise Moderator

QLD, Australia

Thanks but as per my above message its says to do it while cold and i did it as per those instructions however my problem must have been in the wiring loom it is now running with no problems so give the wiring loom a shake lol

Alan

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]