Fordmods Logo

Tried Optimax Extreem 

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Tried Optimax Extreem
Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL

NSW, Australia

Filled up the EL with Optimax Extreem 100 octane. First impression, on my regular trip on the freeway to Sydney the trip computer normally averages 9.5l/100k's for the trip. This has droped to 8.5l/100, how accurate this is I won't know untill I re-fill. The strange thing is that when I start it it revs to 2,000rpm before returning to idle, it's never done that before...very strange. Seems to perform about the same.

Post subject: Re: Tried Optimax Extreem
Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

noabs wrote:
Filled up the EL with Optimax Extreem 100 octane. First impression, on my regular trip on the freeway to Sydney the trip computer normally averages 9.5l/100k's for the trip. This has droped to 8.5l/100, how accurate this is I won't know untill I re-fill. The strange thing is that when I start it it revs to 2,000rpm before returning to idle, it's never done that before...very strange. Seems to perform about the same.
thats the ECU saying: heehaw!

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

will see how it performs on some hilly roads I use a lot

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

hmm hope we get this in ACT ;)

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:59 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Farimont

NSW, Australia

we do have it in the ACT shell in d**k have it!!!!

1997 Ford EL Fairmont
Blue Dash Mod
Red LCD mod
Full Alpine Sterio
Pedders Super Low Sports Rider Suspension
CSA avenger 17x8 (235/45 front) (255/40 Rear)
DBA slotted Rotors (front & Back)
EBC Greenstuff pads (front & Back)

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB2

VIC, Australia

i tried it once it performed slightly better but hard to notice the economy was better

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:46 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

i cant tell a difference in performance between ULP and OPTIMAX at all in my BA...i suppose theres only a octane difference of 95 and 98 between the two.

Post subject: bad bad bad
Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 4 images

QLD, Australia

do not use that fuel it has 5% ethenol it will ruin ur seals and bearings for that extra 2 % octane it isnt worth it and the extra money. valve damage dont use.......

Post subject: Re: bad bad bad
Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

T8 wrote:
do not use that fuel it has 5% ethenol it will ruin ur seals and bearings for that extra 2 % octane it isnt worth it and the extra money. valve damage dont use.......

Would you mind telling everyone which bearings it will ruin?

Big end? I can't see how. Cam bearings? I can't see how. Will it ruin my rear main seal? Or are we talking about the wheel bearings?

Yup. We must be talking about wheel bearings. No-one use Ethanol in your wheel bearings!!

Ethanol is aggressive towards most rubbers. Standard petrol resistant rubber is not resistant to ethanol, but we're only talking 5% here. The concerntration is so low that it will take a while for the ethanol to eat away at the rubber.

Also, I can see how Optimax Extreme will wear out valve seats in a pre-ULP engine without additive, but I can't really see how it will wear out your valves or valve seats. Then again, it's probably a logical answer staring me in the face like how the hell ethanol gets down the the big end from the injectors.

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:03 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF GLi 5-spd & BA 'mont

NSW, Australia

Ethanol, in small contentrations, is actually an octane booster and reduces build-up of crud in manifolds and on valves etc. Im stuck as to how fuel can ruin ur bearings, probly the overflow from the Flux Capacitor :D

Sig pic removed, refer to http://www.fordmods.com/forums/signatur ... 29751.html

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

falcon_hell wrote:
Ethanol, in small contentrations, is actually an octane booster and reduces build-up of crud in manifolds and on valves etc. Im stuck as to how fuel can ruin ur bearings, probly the overflow from the Flux Capacitor :D
the Flux capacitor is capable of handling the overflow as long as the fuel is bombarded with proton particles before it reaches the reactor Chambers.

agree with falcon_hell, theres nothing wrong with ethanol.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:03 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

hi

the only way i can see ethonol wearing bottom end bearings is if your engine is running so rich its leaking past your rings and mixing with your oil and you havnt changed oil for about 20.000 kms.

but if your engine is running that rich i think you may have some serious problems lol.

i dont think that ethonol can harm your bearings unless your using it as oil...

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8

VIC, Australia

Gettin off the ethonol convo, can somebody please tell me how using a higher octane fuel will improve performance for a car that is not tuned for it? I'm not being a smart a***, I'm seriously interested in how it would work :)

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

update!!!! no noticable increase in the allready impressive power of the standard 6, however economy has improved, the EL's not Auatralia's.

bearing holding up ok! :D

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:17 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF GLi 5-spd & BA 'mont

NSW, Australia

downingj wrote:
Gettin off the ethonol convo, can somebody please tell me how using a higher octane fuel will improve performance for a car that is not tuned for it? I'm not being a smart a***, I'm seriously interested in how it would work :)

Newer cars with EFI kind of "tune" themselves to higher (or lower) octane fuels, when 'pinging' is detected by the knock sensor,the ecu adjusts ignition timing to suit , and hence geting the best performance it can out the fuel its getting

Sig pic removed, refer to http://www.fordmods.com/forums/signatur ... 29751.html

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next