Fordmods Logo

Trouble replacing heater hose in NF fairlane 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Trouble replacing heater hose in NF fairlane
Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:01 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

The car has a few minor coolant leaks which i've tried to repair. The coolant tank/cap and lower tank hose have been replaced and I attempted to replace the hose that has the plastic clip on in (under inlet manifold) that goes to the heater. I couldn't budge the plastic clip so just replaced the hose. I still have signs of weeping coolant at the plastic clip. How do most people replace this plastic part? Where does the metal pipe that the plastic clip attachs come from? Is the one under the inlet manifold from the back of the water pump? I notice the plastic clip has 2 o-rings in it so is probably tight without years of gunk around it. I'm attempting to fix all leaks before the hot weather arrives.

P.S. Got a shock when pulling on it under a hoist and the metal pipe touched the starter motor positive connection from the battery. Next time I attempt this job I'll disconnect the neg term from the battery first.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Arn't they metal o rings with screws on them?
or they are a metal clip that you have to squeeze to release?
Anyway I suggest you get bigger clamps or metal O rings, clean the area and tighen hard..
Hope this helps you a bit
- Ash

Sucessful trades with Schmee, Braidy, Niko, The_Ghost, YBHVE4, Stalker

Speed determines how fast you hit the Traffic Light....Power determines how far you take it with you.

Post subject: Not metal o-ring
Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:49 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

No the item is black plastic with a white plastic release assembly at the top. Pushes into a metal pipe under the inlet manifold. This line feeds the heater core and attaches to the firewall. It doesn't have a screw clamp but a factory supplied spring loaded clamp. I have fitted the new hose and factory clamp but still weeping. I was thinking of using a hacksaw blade and just cutting the thing lengthways to split it open. What do you think?

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

id just use a heap of silicon :P lol

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

still weeping?? do you have build up of crusty gunk on the pipe??? needs to be clean.. you could use some gasket sealer to help seal it.. or make sure you have the right sized hose - could be a smidge too large...

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Post subject: It's the genuine pipe
Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:16 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Went to the ford dealer for this one so it is genuine item. Cost $40 which I thought was a bit steep at trade price. The old plastic part had no sign of buildup around it before I put the new rubber hose and clamp onto it. The only thing I can think off is it may have a small fracture in it. I had to cut the rubber hose to add the t-peice in for the gas converter. It doesn't appear to be leaking at that connection.

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

could be leaking at the small by pass hose near this connector.
Worth looking at. And i would never use any gasket goo stuff what so ever on an o ring.

Post subject: Thanks eboost
Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:58 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Will check that small bypass again with strong torch. Its hard to check in this area with all the obstacles. I had the car on a mates hoist last time with a strong 7 led torch but will repeat this step again and see how I go. Is this metal pipe the one from under the exhaust manifold? It does appear to come from behind the engine. I can't see it because of the extra cooling hoses for the lpg converter.

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:21 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

What I have seen done is the plastic attachment is totally removed and the hose is fitted directly to the metal pipe and clamped. That would work, save you the hassle and $40.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]