Fordmods Logo

Troy's 96 EL Fairmont. Bodykit in the process! 

Page 1 of 8 [ 114 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Post subject: Troy's 96 EL Fairmont. Bodykit in the process!
Posted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:32 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 2010 G6E

VIC, Australia

Well after a few months of reading and posting to solve my problems, i have actually gotten off my a** and thought i'd post my car up, open to the forum world for opinions and help and all that crap.

so far; interior-
audio: sony headunit, sony speakers in the parcel shelf to replace crystalised originals, 4g amp wiring to 1000w (old as L.A hot audio) mono amp powering a 10" xplod sub. nothing special but caters my needs til i find something that looks and souds good with the gas tank in the boot.
Lighting: put in some SCA driving lights in as they look good (imo) at night and they help deal with the dull a** headlights that i don't hve the funding to buy new ones for. also got the led instrument cluster going, done a dodgy job but it still looks nice, i plan to do the whole seperate colors thing.. one day.
exterior-
2 and a half inch cat back redback exhaust system with twin pipe dump. looks nice and sounds good as.

i hope to have it on some superlows, tinted and some new discs and pads by summer as mine are warped, also a fairlane or a ghia interior, leather, chrome, etc. money is the only thing stopping me at the moment.
i also plan to have a panel beater get to work on it as being an inexperienced idiot i ran it up a gutter into a signpost, damaging the two passenger doors, resulting in me sourcing new ones, and denting in my rear wheel arch and bottom seal rather harshly.
so anyone with some good cond arctic blue fairmont door strips let me know and i'll pay up if the price is right.

if i get enough support from ya's i'll keep posting and letting ya's know what's been happenin, so le me know what ya's think.
thanks, troy.

(not sure photobucket stuff works, if not, help please!)

be good or be good at it.

Last edited by teeroy on Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 96 EL Fairmont, where to start.
Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Looks like a good starting point, I like sunroofs! good luck with it, has it got extractors as they make a big difference too! Any ideas on rims?

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:49 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

cheers mate, nah no extractors, yet, as it's on gas i was quoted more for stainless extractors, and the money flow round here is tight. tomorrow i'm forking out $700 for the panel and paint job. (the price of idiocy.)
after that come lowering and a tint, hopefully by december.
i don't mind the wheels on it, so im not fussed (yet) wouldn't mind some ba xr's though.
what about camshafts? i been lookin at crowcams and seen one for just under $400, with computer modification, what's this computer modification? if it helps it's model number 2222549.
thanks.

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:09 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

teeroy wrote:
cheers mate, nah no extractors, yet, as it's on gas i was quoted more for stainless extractors, and the money flow round here is tight. tomorrow i'm forking out $700 for the panel and paint job. (the price of idiocy.)
after that come lowering and a tint, hopefully by december.
i don't mind the wheels on it, so im not fussed (yet) wouldn't mind some ba xr's though.
what about camshafts? i been lookin at crowcams and seen one for just under $400, with computer modification, what's this computer modification? if it helps it's model number 2222549.
thanks.

I'd get extractors before a camshaft...let the car breath before you choke it with a cam.

Pacemaker extractors that are ceramic coated are always good...probably will set you back a fair bit, but you can get second hand pacemakers and get them coated. Ceramic coating will reduce engine bay heat.

If you want to save a bit of money, you can get a regrind cam and just put extra shims into the rocker arms. WadeCams make good regrinds and great communication/support. If you do it all yourself, even more money saved.

Computer modification wise, you can just get a pre-programmed0 J3 chip to suit your needs with accordance to your modification. Custom tune can be programmed if you know what you are looking for.

Is your car on dedicated gas or dual fuel? If it's dual fuel I would suggest lowering the car no more than XR spec (approximately KingSpring Lows)...the a** will sit too low and will be most likely rendered unroadworthy. If it is dedicated gas, you might get away with Superlow...but practicality won't be the best in certain situations.

I would also suggest getting the brakes fixed as a priority...better to have good braking than shuddering brakes.

Money is everyone's main reason for slow modification...either that or their partners control the cash flow.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:27 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

thanks for the info, gives me a better perspective, yeah brakes are up there as they are relatively cheap and will make a big diff.
how much is a fair bit? i wouldn't mind a rough estimate on the prices of the extractors and j3 and such, helps in the budgeting process.
with the springs, yeah it is dual fuel, with the sub so i'm trying to get some opinions on how low.
i love the slammed look but i also know the pains of the scrapes as my brother has his own ute on ultra's. -_-
do you think ultra's in the front and low's in the back will be alright? or will it look uneven?
thanks in advance.

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

I'm not exactly sure on prices but extractors can set you back between 250-400, depending on brand and model. I think Pacemaker 4480s are going for about $400 but I could be wrong. Ceramic coating can set you back another $200 maybe...haven't really looked into it since I never had the dosh.

You can buy a pre-programmed J3 chip from T.I Performance for $120...or $215 including a programmer, USB cable and interconnecting cable. (I think postage is not included here). Visit their website. http://www.tiperformance.com.au/index.php

I personally would run low rears and super low front if you want it to look dumped. I run low all round and I still scrape at certain driveways. Low rear with ultra low fronts will most likely render your car unroadworthy, not sure if it will sit level though. Just be aware that this set up may attract cops...especially with P-plates. For practicality, I say low all round should be safe and since the a*** sits lower, it might just sit level.

This is how my car sits with lows all round. I have a sound system and false floor in the boot which pushes the rear slightly down and some what makes it level. If I have the bike trailer hooked up with all my bike gear in the car, I scrape the bottom of the tow bar on the driveway as I come out.

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:30 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

s**t, they're all more reasonably priced than i thought they would be, looks like extractors may be sooner than i thought. what's the difference with 4480's and the 4499's? which would be better?

yeah i might actually go your set-up as that looks neat, although i'm guessing there would be a difference in tyre to wheel arch gap as i have 15's? what are yours just springs or springs and shocks?

damn yours look neat, are those the ba xr's? i wouldn't mind a set of them or some el gt's.
just got mine back today from the panel beaters, had to learn about idiocy and roundabouts the hard way. but i guess it's a lesson well learnt aye. so im on the hunt for a better lookin passenger front in my color, the one i replaced it with is scratched as hell, if not, fork over to get a spray, or save up and get it sprayed by next summer. =/

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

BA XR's? like these?
Attachment:
IMG_9309_web.jpg
IMG_9309_web.jpg [ 67.58 KiB | Viewed 240 times ]

XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:41 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

teeroy wrote:
s**t, they're all more reasonably priced than i thought they would be, looks like extractors may be sooner than i thought. what's the difference with 4480's and the 4499's? which would be better?

yeah i might actually go your set-up as that looks neat, although i'm guessing there would be a difference in tyre to wheel arch gap as i have 15's? what are yours just springs or springs and shocks?

damn yours look neat, are those the ba xr's? i wouldn't mind a set of them or some el gt's.
just got mine back today from the panel beaters, had to learn about idiocy and roundabouts the hard way. but i guess it's a lesson well learnt aye. so im on the hunt for a better lookin passenger front in my color, the one i replaced it with is scratched as hell, if not, fork over to get a spray, or save up and get it sprayed by next summer. =/

Thanks, car was cleaned after a few months of neglect, it was a kodak moment :D.

Not too badly priced, but buy them all at once and the credit card gets a big chunk taken out of it :). I am not sure if there is a big difference between 4499 and 4480s...only have had experience with 4480s.

There won't be a massive difference in tyre to wheel arch gap since the rolling diamater of my wheel/tyre combination is the same as the standard wheel/tyre combination. I did have to roll my front guard so that the wheels didn't get chewed up. Other than that it is a practical, reasonable comfortable and good handling boat.

I got a full suspension done. Koni yellow adjustable shocks, king spring lows and selby front sway bar. Cost me a bit but worked out well :). The rims I got are AMG Quakes...don't think they make them anymore (however if anyone has 2 wheels spare of any size let me know), bought them when I had to get a roadworthy...for the extra $300 I couldn't say no to them. I wouldn't mind a set of EL GTs myself...too bad they are so dear.

Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:03 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

yeah fairlane 6970, like them, (not sure how to do the whole quote box, lol) the indians across the road from me have a ef fairmont on a set of el gt's, and i'm doubting they either value nor know the value of them, so i think i may make them an offering for a swap and a bit of dosh there way.

i neither have the tools or the knowledge to do it myself so i'm guessing if i was to go a swaybar and shocks it'd hit me fairly hard in the wallet. i'll stick it out with springs atleast until i on the greens and have that extral load to worry about.
that's a win on the wheel price too.

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:56 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

teeroy wrote:
yeah fairlane 6970, like them, (not sure how to do the whole quote box, lol) the indians across the road from me have a ef fairmont on a set of el gt's, and i'm doubting they either value nor know the value of them, so i think i may make them an offering for a swap and a bit of dosh there way.

i neither have the tools or the knowledge to do it myself so i'm guessing if i was to go a swaybar and shocks it'd hit me fairly hard in the wallet. i'll stick it out with springs atleast until i on the greens and have that extral load to worry about.
that's a win on the wheel price too.

To quote a post, just click the quote button on the bottom right of the person's post and it will quote it for you in the next load up screen...just make sure you don't click the report button instead.

Well to give you a ball park, I paid $2300 to get shocks, extended rear shock tower, springs and sway bar all installed with, I think, 2 or so bushes that needed replacing some where. It is pretty dear, but it was worth it. Would have cost me $1900 if I got Koni Reds instead of Yellow.

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:14 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

thanks, much appreciated. :)

holy F**k, way out of my budget, think i'll leave that one for the time being, lol.
whats you audio setup like anyway? seeing as you said you have sub(s) in boot.
im due for an upgrade, gotta find a setup i like with the gas tank in the back..

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

4480s are tuned length, 4499s arent. I've had both, 4499s produce a slightly better exhaust note while 4480s let the motor breath a bit better higher in the rev range. Much of a muchness for a daily if you're not gunna belt it everywhere you go.
I'd just get whatever pops up second hand. You can use your existing heat shield and bend it over the 4499s, but not the 4480s.
Extractors + exhaust coupled with a cam and a chip will transform the car, but if you buy everything new and pay someone to fit it all you'd be looking at probably $2k odd.
Might be able to get someone off the forums to do it for cheap though.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:49 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
4480s are tuned length, 4499s arent. I've had both, 4499s produce a slightly better exhaust note while 4480s let the motor breath a bit better higher in the rev range. Much of a muchness for a daily if you're not gunna belt it everywhere you go.
I'd just get whatever pops up second hand. You can use your existing heat shield and bend it over the 4499s, but not the 4480s.
Extractors + exhaust coupled with a cam and a chip will transform the car, but if you buy everything new and pay someone to fit it all you'd be looking at probably $2k odd.
Might be able to get someone off the forums to do it for cheap though.

:| $2g screw that.
i'll try and go 2nd hand for what i can. but 4480s sound like the goods.
i'll see what i can do myself, camshaft seems worth having a go at, seen an overhead in a new hilux the other day and how easy they are to get to, why not.
but just in case, any of ya's live in the western suburbs? lol.

Posted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeah 2nd hand is good I just bought a set of " low" Pedders front and rear coils and shocks for the NF they were only 6 months old for $300 bucks, as well as a set of V8 extractors and full 3" exhaust for $450! keeps the dollars down eh!

XE Fairmont Ghia

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 8  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next