Fordmods Logo

troymans serpentine conversion+air con retro fitt(finished) 

Page 5 of 8 [ 106 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Posted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:55 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

im using the el manifold as the sensors are the same as early e series and i kept the e series map sensor on the firewall.

where the au has a combined map/aircharge senser in the manifold and the au manifold would have had to be modified to fit the el sensor.. i tried a au manifold first and the au map/air charge sensor didnt seem to be compatable?? as the car would not run properly
so i used what i knew worked and other than the sensor differences the manifolds are identical..

Posted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

Thanks. Lucky for me i have a spare EL manifold at home, which might come in handy.

jumping back,
TROYMAN wrote:
the only issue i had at first was some pinging and running lean!

i assume it was due to the higher compression but with things like colder plugs,au injectors and 3ookpa fuel reg those problems have pretty much gone..
it does ping alittle on std unleaded at the moment but thats only because i have the ignition timing slightly advanced..

i've had a thought, running lean means it runs hotter, which increases the chance of pinging.

I still don't know what 'cold' plugs means.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:31 am 

NSW, Australia

this is something i got from the web..
i got this from here to give you an idea.
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/spkp ... #discussed

the higher compression creates more heat in the combustion chamber which causes the std plug to glow which can cause pre ignition(pinging).
so a colder plug actually disperses heat faster helping keep combustion temperature down..
the xr6 also runs a colder plug compared to the std engine as they run slightly higher compression than the std engine..
afaik the au ecu with its sequential injection and fuel map compinsates for higher compression in au engines.
my issue was with the std el ecu,injectors and fuel reg the car seemed to lean out at high rpm although it wasnt dangerously lean but it was enough to cause pinging.. so without sacrificing timing and performance (timing was set to tdc) so i did other things to help keep the combustion temp down like cooler plugs,injectors and fuel reg..

Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

Okay, i'm absorbing at the moment. As a side note it sounds like my EL in XG would benefit from colder plugs, which might cure an occasional ping it has in the upper rev range at wot.

Another idea i had last night was that a lean mixture probably has a faster flame front due to the greater availability of oxygen, and therefore is more likely to suffer pre-ignition (pinging). To illustrate, imagine the extremes of petrol vapour and how fast a flame front passes through it versus a litre of liquid petrol.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:25 pm 

NSW, Australia

hi
im just posting my teething problems..
everything is going ok so far.
except i noticed the aircon hose from the pump to the condensor was rubbing on the thermo fans cutting through the rubber hose.
i remember having this issue on my eb 50l when i put the thermo fans in..
i didnt have this issue with the ea line as they run at a different angle.
so just check your aircon lines if you have fitted thermo fans on a eb or ed.

i fixed this problem by grinding a curve into the thermo fan shroud.

Attachments:
DSC00771.JPG
DSC00771.JPG [ 362.03 KiB | Viewed 136 times ]

Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Good stuff... it didn't occur to me that I'd have issues with the Air con when I did the EL engine swap.. I have the EL compressor and my current setup needs a regass anyway so I was planning on just putting the EA hoses onto the EL compressor.

good to have someone pave the way for me.. :-)

Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:09 pm 

NSW, Australia

no wories..

i had alot of people who had done similar to ebs and eds and they said that yep no probs!(aircon line are the same) but it turned out that ea was completly different.
so i did alot of swapping parts around at the local pick n pay less wreckers to find out what combination of parts was going to fit
before i brought all the aircon lines ect..

Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

A sensible fix Troy, beats the old 'get them custom made' suggestions hands down. LOL
With Bens' we applied force to bend them slightly and that was enough. Not perfect, but enough.
Not many realise that the older R12 systems had different TX valves and some line differences to the R134a systems. ie from the ED on.. but many parts will interchange in concert with others.
Sorting out what will fit as you did shows how a bit of imagination, positively applied, can be worth its weight in gold.
Cheers,
Mac

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:00 pm 

NSW, Australia

Paulmac wrote:
A sensible fix Troy, beats the old 'get them custom made' suggestions hands down. LOL
With Bens' we applied force to bend them slightly and that was enough. Not perfect, but enough.
Not many realise that the older R12 systems had different TX valves and some line differences to the R134a systems. ie from the ED on.. but many parts will interchange in concert with others.
Sorting out what will fit as you did shows how a bit of imagination, positively applied, can be worth its weight in gold.
Cheers,
Mac

thank paul..
ive also got the aircon working now.
i got it gased with the hychill hr12. it only cost $100
and although weather is not that hot at the moment and i have a small issue with the aircon thermostat..
ive had a temp probe into the air vent and the air temp got as low as 6 deg c.
and putting the probe directly into the evapoator box where the thermostat runs the temp gets as low -0 deg c.

so so far i cant complane. i just need a couple of hot days to test it out lol

Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Hey Mr Troyman..

Just been reading back over this.. and stuff like this is confusiing me..

Quote:
Which Inlet manifold are you running??? If the log manifold, you'll need the XH belt tensioner, if the BBM then the EF/EL tensioner will do. You don't need an A/C bracket if fitted with BBM, cos the A/C pump bolts to the block. The XH has the A/C pump mounted lower to miss the log manifold.

I have an EL motor with BBM, so I don't need any bracket work and can just leave it as is. (except for the hose connection)

However, I want to add an M90 later and as a result, I'll need to swap to the log manifold.. in which case, I'll have to put in an EA bracket and change the belt tensioner?

Also, can you summarize what bits you used where to get the EL air con to hook up to the EA? Near as I can Tell, you used ED hoses, and an EF TX (whatever that is) with the EF bottle?

just trying to get it all clear in my head...

rgds

Frank

Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

I've got four aircon systems to regas NOW with HR12, I'll try to get to Joe's to-morrow or the next fortnightly trip down to make arrangements.
Front and rear systems in the Tarago, then the EB2 Fairmont after we drop the EL engine in and Kath's uncle's EB wagon which just copped my spare engine and compressor.
Very good to hear how cold it is for you, living up to its reputation. Those figures are not unusual for HyChill, one guy had to have a little gas withdrawn from his system as it was too cold. WTF Too cold in a Ford!! LOL
I have not had one e-mail, since I've been supporting the use of HR12, where the new user can run their aircon on the lowest level. LOL
Just joking, with climate control if it stays at those temps when you want it higher, maybe there's a t/stat problem, we'll talk about it to morrow night, I'm sure.
Cheers,
Mac

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

good work man. all looks good.

and i cant help myself... its off topic, but f**k those wheels of yours are nice. what are they? :lol:

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

They are nice wheels, CSA Prowlers aren't they? They really suit the E-series fords, and they look great on my XH! :D

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:34 am 

NSW, Australia

frankieh wrote:
Hey Mr Troyman..

Just been reading back over this.. and stuff like this is confusiing me..

Quote:
Which Inlet manifold are you running??? If the log manifold, you'll need the XH belt tensioner, if the BBM then the EF/EL tensioner will do. You don't need an A/C bracket if fitted with BBM, cos the A/C pump bolts to the block. The XH has the A/C pump mounted lower to miss the log manifold.

I have an EL motor with BBM, so I don't need any bracket work and can just leave it as is. (except for the hose connection)

However, I want to add an M90 later and as a result, I'll need to swap to the log manifold.. in which case, I'll have to put in an EA bracket and change the belt tensioner?

Also, can you summarize what bits you used where to get the EL air con to hook up to the EA? Near as I can Tell, you used ED hoses, and an EF TX (whatever that is) with the EF bottle?

just trying to get it all clear in my head...

rgds

Frank

ok..
im using the ea condensor,ed lines and ed bottle.
this way everthing is pretty much the same shape. (i was going to use the ef lines and bottle but they mounted different)

as i noted above i had to carefully bend the pipe from the compressor to the firewall to clear the airbox.

i used the ef tx valve.(the tx valve is the square metal block that sits in between the aircon lines and the firewall)
you could use any of the tx valves from eb2 onwards as they use the same size piping and tx valve as ef ect.
its best to use the ed or later tx valve as its already for the r134 gas.
then i had to carefully drill the small hole in the firewall side of the tx valve to 11mm as the series 1 ea small pipe from the firewall is larger than eb2 onwards.(just check yours first)
and thats pretty much it...

if you are curently using the bbm with the serpentine belt you just need to get the aircon lines sorted out!

but if your going log manifold later?
you will need to use the xh serpentine belt tensioner and the ea/ed aircon compressor bracket as this drops the compressor down lower to clear the log throttle body...

Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:35 am 

NSW, Australia

nicco wrote:
good work man. all looks good.

and i cant help myself... its off topic, but f**k those wheels of yours are nice. what are they? :lol:

they are csa prowler 17x8"

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 8  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next