Trying to squeeze a few extra horses out of my Ef Xr6 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Trying to squeeze a few extra horses out of my Ef Xr6
Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:51 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 96 EF XR6

TAS, Australia

Hi All
Im a newbie here, looking forward to getting to know a few of you out there. I have just fitted my engine back into my car after having it fully rebuilt. The block was bored 40thou over, and it has a mild crow camshaft, not the one that requires the chip. Only other mods are extractors, 3 and 1/2
inch exhaust and a pod filter. What id like to know is: is there anything else i can do to it to gain noticeable power without going turbo or supercharger.

Post subject: Re: Trying to squeeze a few extra horses out of my Ef Xr6
Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Hey, welcome. Lots of good guys (and gals) with heaps of experience - good and bad :D - on this forum.

As for a few extra horses N/A, here's a few suggestions:
- breathing in: larger snorkel (EL GT or SS Inductions), 3" airbox exit (which you prob already have if you are running a pod), larger throttle body (helps top end only)
- compression: AU MLS head gasket (if you don't already have it); head shaved
- hotter cam
- head work: porting, multi-angle valve job, back-cut intake valves
- breathing out: sounds like you already have this sorted, but maybe a high-flow cat
- under-drive pulley: less power lost to A/C, P/S, alternator and water pump; possibly Davies-Craig electric water pump.
- ignition & fuel: AU injectors, projected-tip spark plugs (eg, Autolite 985), J3 chip (you will be running over-rich for sure; a custom pre-programmed chip can make good gains, especially if tuned for high-octane fuel, and will take maximum advantage of your other mods - and is a bargain at $190 from TI Performance)

FWIW

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:24 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I would say replace the 3.5 inch exhaust for a 2.5 inch. Hi flow cat isn't necessary, but if you want that extra odd kw or so, why not.

Intake can be upgraded using larger snorkel and implementing a XR6 turbo air box into the mix. From air box to throttle body you can use a Territory or BA intake for a stock look or just get a custom 3" piping made up to suit. A larger TB or smoothed out internals of the TB might help some gain...but intake wise, you won't get much gain out of it.

Only other things would be bigger cam, head work and tune.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:41 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 96 EF XR6

TAS, Australia

Thanks guys. Some good ideas there. I'll try them out and let you know how it goes.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]