Fordmods Logo

Turbo SOHC EL motor, or Turbo DOHC BF motor? What to do? 

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Turbo SOHC EL motor, or Turbo DOHC BF motor? What to do?
Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:43 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1996 Ford Fairmont Ghia EL

NSW, Australia

Alright, so how much would I need to achieve that 11.5 down the quarter and the power figure of around 400rwkw? Or is that even possible with the SOHC.

I wouldn't be keen on spending much more than 10g's.

I really just need to know if my thoughts are realistic, and possible and aren't too much of a "high-hopes" kind of ideas.

|Heritage Green|Cappa Leather Interior| Fusion Comp Spec Sound|Pacemaker 4480|18x8.5 w/ Dish|Pedders Sports Ryder|2.5" Exhaust|K&N Filter|
[---To Come---] BF Barra Conversion :)

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:55 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

I'd probably even be happy with a mid 12, if thats more realistic.

|Heritage Green|Cappa Leather Interior| Fusion Comp Spec Sound|Pacemaker 4480|18x8.5 w/ Dish|Pedders Sports Ryder|2.5" Exhaust|K&N Filter|

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

You can run mid 11's with 300rwkw.

Are you going to auto or manual?

Its definitely possible with a SOHC motor. Plenty of people have done it.

People have run 8's in Auto's and 10's with manual SOHC EL's.

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:13 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Well, it will be an auto. Probably going to have to change to a whole different gearbox. That's undecided yet.

I would like 400rwkw just cause it would be cool to see on the dyno screen. But with 7-10gs what could I expect and what should I do?

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Is that $10k motor only or do you want the auto for that much too?

You wont get 400rwkw for $10k.

You'd be looking at $6-$7k just for the bolt ons ~ turbo, manifold, wastegate, water and oil lines, piping, cooler etc. $3k for ECU and tune. $1000 for the fuel system.

Then you would need a good bottom end to take it.

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

With $7k I'd be buying a snort kit for 3.5, then spending the rest on an ECU + tune and the few bits n pieces that dont come with the kit (piping, exhaust, etc).. Then expect ~220-250rwkw and high 12s...... with a stock auto though that wont hold up too long.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

SLY EL wrote:
phongus wrote:
Mont5.0 wrote:
BA turbo motors can be had pretty cheap (3k) Just bolt one in and be done with it. Also much off the shelf upgrade gear is available.

Not that simple to put a BA/BF motor into an E-series.

Yeah unfortunatly :cry: hahah, needs all the looms from the B series, and need to cut the bonnet and cut the crossmember. The looms is what the expensive part is as far as I know, and the fact that the electronic pedals for the electronic throttle body needs to be fitted. That all needs to be engineered too!

Well, my car is a project so workshop time isn't a problem. I can do most of the work myself with all the bolt on bits, except the looming for the ba engine, and expect for things like porting and polishing and internal upgrades a pro would have to do for me.

I'm looking for ~400rwkw :) I want to make it a bit of a dyno queen and able to do atleast 11.5's down the quarter.

So, I'm not sure if the SOHC motor is able of achieving that. I think I'll have a budget of ~7k over a year and a half of working on the motor. Thats my time frame and budget.
I would prefer the SOHC motor, BUT if it's not able to do what I need from it, I guess it will have to go.

Stop dreaming! Budget big money for a build to make 400rwkw. some of the expenses incurred would be:

Forged bottom end: $7k assembled from one supplier
Ported head: $2k+ from a reputable head porter
Cam: $500ish for a custom grind billet if you can get one.
Gearbox to hold 400rwkw: $5k
Diff rebuild/strengthening: $1k+
ECU: $1500 or so for a reasonable ECU
Fuel System: $2k ish (Injectors, Intank pump upgrade, surge tank, twin 044's)
Tune: $1k
Turbo gear: $5k
Intercooler: $800 for a good cooler
Piping: Depends on supplier.

That should give you a rough indication of expenses!

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Unless you intend to do all the work yourself (except machining) you won't get a reliable 400rwkw car for under $10000 no matter what engine you intend to use.

Even doing all the work yourself you will struggle. A tko/t56/auto rebuild will set you back a couple of grand easily without even looking at your engine.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:17 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

67RCE wrote:
Stop dreaming! Budget big money for a build to make 400rwkw. some of the expenses incurred would be:

Well I'm asking what it would take to achieve what I'm asking, if not how to. Not exactly dreaming just, mis-understanding.

Alright so, I'll probably find myself a set of forged pistons and rods, have the crankshaft machined and balanced. Head ported and polished, already have a big cam. Snort kit, piping , injectors, surge tank & fuel pumps. Strengthen the gearbox a tad or swap it out for a different one. Diff rebuild, and an ECU with tune.

Just all that should equal 10k ish. If I do all the building myself and only have the crankshaft maching and the head porting by someone else.

Edit; I realise that 400rwkw is hoping a bit too much so what should I hope for?

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Personally id be starting with a DOHC as in my previous post a dude got his done for $6800.00 and i think its pretty cheap, so expect an extra $1000.00 for someone else in NSW to do conversion.

With a DOHC base and little mods u can make up to 300rwkw no problem and alot easier to engineer as ur using factory ecu and turbo gear. You have to compare like for like and DOHC BA/BF ecu is eqivilent to a top end motec.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

SLY EL wrote:
67RCE wrote:

Well I'm asking what it would take to achieve what I'm asking, if not how to. Not exactly dreaming just, mis-understanding.

Alright so, I'll probably find myself a set of forged pistons and rods, have the crankshaft machined and balanced. Head ported and polished, already have a big cam. Snort kit, piping , injectors, surge tank & fuel pumps. Strengthen the gearbox a tad or swap it out for a different one. Diff rebuild, and an ECU with tune.

Just all that should equal 10k ish. If I do all the building myself and only have the crankshaft maching and the head porting by someone else.

Edit; I realise that 400rwkw is hoping a bit too much so what should I hope for?

Your looking at $2k minimum for Forged pistons and Rods..... Cam will need to be a turbo grind to work well, you still will not come away under $15k to build a reliable 400rwkw Turbo E-Series. you are looking at $5k for a box to take 400rwkw. A BTR will NOT! you need a C4/Turbo 400 as a minimum!

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:58 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

67RCE wrote:
SLY EL wrote:
67RCE wrote:

Your looking at $2k minimum for Forged pistons and Rods..... Cam will need to be a turbo grind to work well, you still will not come away under $15k to build a reliable 400rwkw Turbo E-Series. you are looking at $5k for a box to take 400rwkw. A BTR will NOT! you need a C4/Turbo 400 as a minimum!

I think I have stated enough times I realise that 400 is a bit too much to hope for...

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:24 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 09 FG XR6

Power: 208 rwkw

NSW, Australia

maybe look at upgrading diff gears aswell for extra launch semi slicks and good suspention to put the power to the ground IMO 400rwkw in a EL is a bit to much i'd look for maybe 250-300rwkw so it don't wheel spin like a b**ch whats the point of having mega power if you can't get it to the ground? besides it's the torque that will put the smile on your face

2 FOR TURNING & 2 FOR BURNING

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:08 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Alright, so I'm looking @ a snort stage 3 or 4 kit.
If I go stage 4, I would start thinking about a plenum, but is that absolutely necessary?
Which one should I get?

Alright, so what should be done to the auto box to handle 250rwkw? Thats going to be the starting point for now. That's what I would like to achieve then over time eventually go bigger with more money.

Also, thinking about the diff, what should be done for that? Just change to 4.11 gears or?

Also, what about the intercooler, I would prefer now to have a big obnoxious front mount, but if that would perform better than a liquid to air intercooler I would prefer it?

Thanks for all the help so far guys!

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

don't forget about the safety side of things and life/health insurance :lol:

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next