Fordmods Logo

Turbo SOHC EL motor, or Turbo DOHC BF motor? What to do? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Turbo SOHC EL motor, or Turbo DOHC BF motor? What to do?
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:56 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1996 Ford Fairmont Ghia EL

NSW, Australia

Hi all,

I am currently looking into what motor to keep in my EL Fairmont. I have decided for a while to do a BF Barra conversion, but this can be pretty costly. In the end I would end up having the engine turbo'd aswell in the future. I was wondering if I would be just as well off with a car that will do a good quarter mile and put some good figures at the dyno even if I stuck with the original engine.

Overall I'm asking for people's opinions or personal experiences as to whether or not it's really worth swapping the the later DOHC engine rather than sticking with the original SOHC engine.

All comments appreciated!
Cheers!

|Heritage Green|Cappa Leather Interior| Fusion Comp Spec Sound|Pacemaker 4480|18x8.5 w/ Dish|Pedders Sports Ryder|2.5" Exhaust|K&N Filter|
[---To Come---] BF Barra Conversion :)

Post subject: Re: Turbo SOHC EL motor, or Turbo DOHC BF motor? What to do?
Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

doesnt the bf barra have the dual vct?.. also the turbo models get the same internals as the typhoon... might be a nice newer and tougher base to turbo.
im certinly no expert.. lol. just an opinion.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

does have dual vct & i think the internals are the same, if not very similar. turbo size on the phoon was bigger i think.

a turbo B series block or a CMS worked & stroked block are probably two really good options

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

How much do you want to spend/be more specific in what results you want.

Personally I would stick to the SOHC, but it depends on what you want to achieve.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:30 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

It just depends how deep your pockets are. Turboed SOHC motor can be done for about 10Kish with great results. Turboed DOHC BF motor will most likely be double...price of parts, installation and tuning will be pretty costly...but then again you might get double figures in power (if that's what you are looking for).

I personally would just turbo a SOHC motor...less headaches and less time at the workshop (you hope).

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:44 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

it really depends on how much money you want to spend, and how much of the work your able to do your self..
i too at one stage was considering a ba/bf engine, but decided to stay with the sohc engine..

keep in mind a $5'000 project can turn into a $10'000 project pretty fast..

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF wagon

NSW, Australia

BA turbo motors can be had pretty cheap (3k) Just bolt one in and be done with it. Also much off the shelf upgrade gear is available.

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

http://www.boostedfalcon.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18135

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

Personally id go with the sohc because its the cheaper option with less hassles as your not modifing the car just to put another engine in

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:08 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Mont5.0 wrote:
BA turbo motors can be had pretty cheap (3k) Just bolt one in and be done with it. Also much off the shelf upgrade gear is available.

Not that simple to put a BA/BF motor into an E-series.

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:17 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1996 Ford Fairmont Ghia EL

NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:
Mont5.0 wrote:

Yeah unfortunatly :cry: hahah, needs all the looms from the B series, and need to cut the bonnet and cut the crossmember. The looms is what the expensive part is as far as I know, and the fact that the electronic pedals for the electronic throttle body needs to be fitted. That all needs to be engineered too!

Well, my car is a project so workshop time isn't a problem. I can do most of the work myself with all the bolt on bits, except the looming for the ba engine, and expect for things like porting and polishing and internal upgrades a pro would have to do for me.

I'm looking for ~400rwkw :) I want to make it a bit of a dyno queen and able to do atleast 11.5's down the quarter.

So, I'm not sure if the SOHC motor is able of achieving that. I think I'll have a budget of ~7k over a year and a half of working on the motor. Thats my time frame and budget.
I would prefer the SOHC motor, BUT if it's not able to do what I need from it, I guess it will have to go.

|Heritage Green|Cappa Leather Interior| Fusion Comp Spec Sound|Pacemaker 4480|18x8.5 w/ Dish|Pedders Sports Ryder|2.5" Exhaust|K&N Filter|
[---To Come---] BF Barra Conversion :)

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:46 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

SLY EL wrote:
phongus wrote:
Mont5.0 wrote:

Yeah unfortunatly :cry: hahah, needs all the looms from the B series, and need to cut the bonnet and cut the crossmember. The looms is what the expensive part is as far as I know, and the fact that the electronic pedals for the electronic throttle body needs to be fitted. That all needs to be engineered too!

Well, my car is a project so workshop time isn't a problem. I can do most of the work myself with all the bolt on bits, except the looming for the ba engine, and expect for things like porting and polishing and internal upgrades a pro would have to do for me.

I'm looking for ~400rwkw :) I want to make it a bit of a dyno queen and able to do atleast 11.5's down the quarter.

So, I'm not sure if the SOHC motor is able of achieving that. I think I'll have a budget of ~7k over a year and a half of working on the motor. Thats my time frame and budget.
I would prefer the SOHC motor, BUT if it's not able to do what I need from it, I guess it will have to go.

somehow i dont think your going to get 400rwk and 11.5 down the 1/4 with 7k to spend...
you will turbo your sohc with a fairly reliable set up for 7k, but wont be making 400rwkw,

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF wagon

NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:
Mont5.0 wrote:

I understand that. but it has been done-so is possible. I am just looking at the bigger picture, if he wants to spend money now and turbo later- why not just buy a turbo motor and spend the extra getting it running in an E series.

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:09 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Mont5.0 wrote:
phongus wrote:
Mont5.0 wrote:

I understand that. but it has been done-so is possible. I am just looking at the bigger picture, if he wants to spend money now and turbo later- why not just buy a turbo motor and spend the extra getting it running in an E series.

Ahhh gotcha...I forgot he mentioned wanting to turbo it LATER once the motor is in. Anything is possible with the right amount of dollar figures :wink:

Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Go twin cam.

If not buy my turbo stuff for $5k and that will get you started. :P

Its the perfect setup for a responsive 400rwkw using good quality gear. Just add an ECU and forged motor and your set.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next