Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

ItchiOne wrote:
Greenmachine wrote:
I'd be afraid to go over about 90 in any sort of Land Cruiser icon_wink.gif

Just occurred to me to add: that raises something I've always been quick to point out - who's more of a real menace on the road - someone like me who often exceeds 180 with bilstein suspension and EBC brake pads and all mechanicals well maintained, car feeling completely solid and stable..... - or someone who pushes something like a LandCruiser to speeds that are like 60K over what the vehicle should ever be sanely pushed to (and even FEELS like that!). :)

Actually a landcruiser is not a vehicle to be consigned to always travel at 90KPH, far from it. It is the most sensible speed from a fuel consumption standpoint though.
And to clarify the issue, as soon as the truck felt unstable, i dropped my speed to the normal 120 in the outback.
My truck was also well maintained, had very good tyres, suspension, brakes and steering.
It's not a sports car by any figment of the imagination but at the end of the day, bilstein suspension and EBC brake pads will not overcome the law of dynamics :)
Oh, and watch out for cows when you pass those road trains at speed. Can't see the left side of the road for a while. Maybe you also need those flame throwers mentioned earlier :)

Cheers

Haha - sorry, I wasn't having a go at you specifically - was more thinking about d**k I come across frequently locally (forgot to mention the pitbull chained to the tray).

"for a while" -- not actually very long at all - we're thru and gone real quick. I'm actually very circumspect and careful when/where I overtake too - one of my big hassles is f**k wits behind me getting impatient and "queue jumping" - trying to overtake when it really isn't wise so forcing me to let them in between me and said roadtrain. Ridiculous thing is that these clowns then sit just a few carlengths ahead of the roadtrain once they finally do get past it (mind you I can sympathise with preferring to be at same speed as but in FRONT of a roadtrain) - so quite often when an opportunity comes I'm happy with, I scoot past both the roadtrain and matey - I usually see this: :shock: in their windows as I go past 8-) (was priceless to see that on the face of the Solara driver too when I pulled out at 180 and blasted past).

To be clear, I generally do cruise at only 110 or so - will peak from there to 180+ on overtake, get some distance at 140 or so and then slow back to cruise. And I have no problem having to slow to 80 or less if the conditions warrant - and I've had people I've previously overtaken subsequently go past with faces like this: :? It's REAL f**k funny watching their brake lights appear up ahead in the distance and see them swerve as the reason for my caution jumps out or wanders in from the side and nearly slams em.

Saw a classic case in the mirror of a Winnebago thing that nearly ran off the road half a click behind us where they had closed to after I had slowed to about 60 because of cattle all along and close to the road - they were evidently still doing the 100 they were running at little earlier when I overtook them. I could clearly see this silhouette of a cow appear in front of their silhouette - and then they swerved right across the road and partially tilted off the other side of the road before slowly comming back on - ahhhhh-HAHAHAHAHA!!!

On several trans-continental trips the only hits I've taken were from a f**k wit Land Cruiser driver who reversed into me WHILE I WAS PUMPING FUEL (ie. not parked in an unusual place in a servo driveway - next to fuel pump is pretty normal I reckon) - and a kangaroo that jumped into the passenger side door - I was being nice and careful and travelling at only 80 or so because of early morning and hilly country - if I'd been doing 100 he wouldn't have even realised I was there till I was past. One other hit was a stone bruise to the windscreen from an oncoming roadtrain - I was going slow about to leave bitumen and onto dirt - he was just comming off the dirt and laying the boot in - the size of the rock still amazes me - I can't believe we just got a bruise rather than having half the roof peeled off!! Oh, I have hit a total of 4 birds too - all at low speeds - ie. in 80/60 zones.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 1:45 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
Haha - sorry, I wasn't having a go at you specifically...

No worries, i'm quite relaxed about it all really and no offense was taken.
Driving a landcruiser, i have to get use to such sterio typing but seeing some other cruiser drivers, i can see where it comes from :lol:

But what really makes me laugh when travelling around auz -
at high speeds in NT, you can drive legal and unsafe;
when crossing into WA and slowing down, you can drive illegal and safe;
go figure :? :lol:

What angers me is the few arogant (sp?) road train drivers that just push you off the road as they blast past at crazy speeds.

As for your ford, you must have fixed up your drive shaft to feel safe knowing it won't let go at the speeds you occasionally travel.
What is it, alloy, two piece, or you just check it often ?
Have you also installed one of those sonic blasters to scare away all known big and little critters from your path - or are they crap as i suspect.

Still like the idea of a flame thrower :lol:

Cheers[/quote]

Posted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Shell with 4 wheels

NSW, Australia

Idiots LOL

im just going to go a alloy tailshaft and should be right and just shave it so its balanced.

Post subject: LIMITER
Posted: Sat May 21, 2005 5:28 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA Turbo

QLD, Australia

COULD YOU IMAGINE PAYING OUT FOR A SAY A NEW BA GTP THAT WAS SPEED LIMITED TO SAY 180K'S CRUISING DOWN THE SOUTH EAST F3(QLD) 110K SPEED LIMIT WITH NO CAR INSIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU. WHEN A DROP KICK IN A V6 VN HAS A GO AT YOU TO WHICH YOU HIT YOUR SPEED LIMIT AND HE BEATS YOU BECAUSE HIS HOTTED UP VN CAN PULL 185K'S. :evil:
NO WONDER WHY FORD GETS BAD REP.

IF MY RECENTLY PURCHASED XR6 EF is speed limited and this happens i would sell it and go back to my eb which could do 210k's or piss off the speed limiter(only if the drive train is safe to do so though).
i am planning to to4 it in the near future and at same time i am fitting a 110k speed limiter(yeh right)

people buy performance model cars because they like to drive their cars in a performance way.
not to say mine is bigger and faster.

i have had people in suits and tie,women in skylines/turbo commodore etc run me on the street. etc.

i am 36 no accidents, have owned a 351xd that could pull 7000rpm top gear 3.0 diff gears

351 td cortina compliant reg with falcon 4 wheel disk brakes etc

it comes down to a little bit of commond sense in how you go about it and the place.

anybody with a little bit of brains would not excede speed limits around possible dangers like intersections, suburban streets, drive ways. blind bends etc.

if a semi trailer is aloud to do 110k's why is it unsafe for a performance car to do twice the speed when it could pull up 10x or more quicker than a semi trailer. also not to mention the handling difference

its like a loaded gun, in the wrong hands leathal.

you don't buy a gun not to use it.

if we can't use them we all might as well just buy a horse and cart

ban low performance drivers not hi performance cars and drivers.

don't loose the plot car manufactures fit turbo's and do hi po versions because people want to use the power.

hope i didn't offend too many people but everyone is entitled to :evil: there 2 cents.

HOW ABOUT JUST ANSWERING THE ORIGINAL POST AND STOP B_T_HING :D

Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EA

QLD, Australia

pkr,,i'll remember your words the next time i scrape somebody off the road or have to pry there head off the power pole..

there is not and never will be any justification for a person to exceed the maximum allowed speed which in nsw is 110 kph.

NO ONE DIES A VIRGIN AS LIFE SCREWS US ALL

Post subject: speed limits
Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:08 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA Turbo

QLD, Australia

sorry off subject again.

speed limits cater for worst case senerio.
elderly people, beginner drivers, bad weather, unroadworthy vehicles that have poor brakes, trucks, buses traffic, bad drivers etc.
so my view is if the surroundings are clear and weather good and you know your vehicle's performance limits use it when needed.

pepsimax if you are in the public service where you have to attend to accidents i envy you as i could not stomach having to do it.

if everybody didn't speed would there be less accidents?

don't think so because most hi speed accidents are related with drivers who drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs or are young and inexperienced.

there are also the young and inexperienced drivers who drive fast due to peer pressure( impress their mates and girl friends etc)

if the Australian government really cared about vehicle fatalities don't you think that they would introduce driver ed training classes like the yanks and other countries do for teenages prior to getting their licence (hay i just got a great idea why don't they use their revenue raising speed camera's that hide in the bush and at the bottom of hills to fund driver ed instead of filling their pockets).

i think sometime at beginning of the year there was a story on how easy it was to get your licence from mostly country area's(country people do travel to cities).

i have had people who have stopped in front of me on onramps to freeways(useless idiots who just can't adjust speed to merge)

people that sit in right lane doing under 20k less than speed limit.

don't use mirrors or indicators to change lanes.

this yellow cab driver when i was going home from end of 3.30pm to 11pm shift on freeway mine and his vehicle only on road, i was doing speed limit passing him in right lane when for no reason at all he decided to change to my lane (right) and nearly took me out but lucky i have good reflex's to swerve and hit horn before any impact.

stop at give way signs when you could see to china that coast is clear

drunk driver who nearly ran me off road(if wasn't for his girlfriend's pleading he would have been set on his backside and his keys that i took out of his ignition would have ended up at the southport police station QLD.
at all these times i was doing the speed limit
THESE ARE THE TYPES OF PEOPLE THAT CAUSE MOST OF THE ACCIDENTS AND SHOULD BE MADE TO DO A COURSE ON HOW TO DRIVE.

most new drivers don't know what happens in poor weather conditions in emergency situations or how cars can aqua plane when tyre grouve's can't expell the water beneath them, braking and steering in non ABS vehicle when in emergency eg brake on off to get car to brake and steer not lock up and go straight etc etc.

I do not condone speeding but if you do please make sure your vehicle is in safe condition and you are in stable mind and are in safe place, also think of other people at risk if you do have somethink go wrong.

don't speed when children are around (suburban area's etc) as children don't have the gudgement a adult has when crossing the road.

if you have the need to push your vehicle past yourselfs and it's capability
to the point there is a huge risk for your or other people's life. just think about people like PEPSIMAX who will have to come and clean you and your mess up(not pretty site) and will leave desturbing images in there minds for the rest of there life.

also remember that road cars do suffer brake fade badly so don't try too many hard braking stops in quick succession racing someone as for sure you will get brake fade and won't stop.

Performance cars are built to drive hard and fast not babied around.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

this should be an ad for TAC!!!

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

will the alloy tail shaft out of my EB wagon fit onto my EA if i change the flange on the diff?i want to do this because it was an auto and therefore speed limited and i have put a 4.0lt and a 5 speed in aswell as a 3.9:1 lsd so for safety reasons i would like the alloy shaft and also i intend on dragging at every bairnsdale drags meet!

97 el xr6,5 speed short shifter,sequential scoop,no arial,freshly resprayed,low on 17's,3 inch zorst,stainless hi flo cat,snort stage 3 stainless manifold,garrett t04e,front mount cooler,wolf 3d ecu,seimens 760cc injectors,walbro fuel pump

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:18 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

madeaspack wrote:
will the alloy tail shaft out of my EB wagon fit onto my EA if i change the flange on the diff?i want to do this because it was an auto and therefore speed limited and i have put a 4.0lt and a 5 speed in aswell as a 3.9:1 lsd so for safety reasons i would like the alloy shaft and also i intend on dragging at every bairnsdale drags meet!

Unless your EA is a wagin, nope. Wagon tailshafts are alot longer than the sedan shafts...

But it doesnt stop you from taking it to a drive shaft place and maybe getting it cut down and the flange rewelded.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3