Fordmods Logo

Two piece tail shaft? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Two piece tail shaft?
Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:51 am 
Fordmods Newbie

TAS, Australia

i have an ECU with the 180 speed limiter disabled. I was wondering if it is possible to put a two piece tail shaft out of BA or similar into an XG ute. because i have heard that the single piece tail shaft is the reason for the limiter in the first place, becuase it isn't safe at speeds of much more than 180. Has anyone else done a similar conversion?

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:31 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I believe those vehicles that could go over 180km/h got an alloy tailshaft instead of the standard steel shaft. The alloy shafts weigh about a third of the steel equivalent.

I have the tailshaft from an XG XR6 in my garage, and even though it is longer and thicker, it weighs at least a third of the steel shaft in my EL sedan. (It's up for sale soon if your interested as well :D )

I think the 2 piece shafts are more to reduce vibrations from the drivetrain as its suspended to the body better, and along with that comes better control at higher speeds. But I think it works much better with IRS than a live rear end.

All VN/P/R/S have 2 piece shafts, whether hey have IRS or live axles, and if you've ever sat in one, im sure you can feel the vibrations caused by the shafts as the angle changes under load and road conditions. They are famous for it.

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

Call Mal Wood Automotive in Queensland - they sell 2 piece shaft mod kits and will probably tell you all the ins and outs and reasons etc. if you ask them.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: XR6

VIC, Australia

keep us posted if you find out if its better or not

my xr isnt limited so its weird they are all over the shop some are some arnt wish they would make it a set thing

BA XR8 BOSS 260
Winter White
18' gt-p wheels
Flash Tuned
2 jl 13.5' w3's
tv indash

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Futura

SA, Australia

arm79 wrote:
All VN/P/R/S have 2 piece shafts, whether hey have IRS or live axles, and if you've ever sat in one, im sure you can feel the vibrations caused by the shafts as the angle changes under load and road conditions. They are famous for it.

My VL had a two piece tail shaft

5 Speed EL Futura
Stock as a rock*
A1 Oils - Synthetic lubricants: www.a1oils.com.au
* A rock that has been Alted

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR8, XD Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

go to the commodore forums and they take the 2 piece out and replace them with a 1 piece :lol:

1 piece steel is good enough for a old GT or a V8 race car. why would you want to go to a 2 piece???

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:16 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

xr8 dismantler wrote:
1 piece steel is good enough for a old GT or a V8 race car. why would you want to go to a 2 piece???

Good point, as long as they're balanced, they won't vibrate.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

The reason for a 2pc is for the reduction in vibration caused by flex and pinion angle.
Alloy is used because its lighter so if there is flex at higher speeds the imbalance wont be as great as steel.
The difference between the ford 2 pc is they have a CV on the rear and a UJ in the centre therefore the pinion angle at the IRS is not an issue.

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

shouldnt the biggest question be "why do you want to go that fast, and where do you plan on doing it?"

Banned

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Gli Ghia, XP Fairmont

WA, Australia

i agree, people keep yapping on about being limited by the tail shaft - maybe it is just limited because not being a race car and not being on a race track you would end up killing people driving that fast too often!

Owning 1 of 67612 EF GLi Sedans made
FACT: "Chuck Norris owns the greatest Poker Face of all-time. It helped him win the 1983 World Series of Poker despite him holding just a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno."

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:16 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Interceptor wrote:
shouldnt the biggest question be "why do you want to go that fast, and where do you plan on doing it?"

Happy wrote:
maybe it is just limited because not being a race car and not being on a race track you would end up killing people driving that fast too often!

Are you his Nanny... Or his Mother... Or his minder... Who cares why he wants to go that fast and where. The man asked a simple question and wants a simple answer, not a sermon on everything else but.

Hornet wrote:
My VL had a two piece tail shaft

Never really taken much notice of the pre-VN commodores, so that would have to be my excuse. I only remember VN onwards because of the complaints of the drivetrain, especially when they are lowered. Maybe the VL's didnt have the same sort of issues the later models did.

There are various reasons that these models are limited to 180. From transmission reliability/build quality/service life to drive shaft vibrations/reliability.

I would guess that since 95% or so of sales were autos, a good way to keep costs down would be to design and use parts capable of 180km/h, rather than having to over engineer to cater for 230km/h, which most people would never see.

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Shell with 4 wheels

NSW, Australia

Your all nuts i love driving fast and dragging people but honestly was drag gets to 180kms an hour and at that speed the slighlest wrong move and your be in tomorrows papers honestly there is no need to go so fast.

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

data_mine wrote:
xr8 dismantler wrote:

Good point, as long as they're balanced, they won't vibrate.

Thow thats old technology shave the tailshaft so that its balanced

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

The alloy shafts are 30% stronger..Than std steel shafts..The newer shafts have what looks like a harmonic ballancer on the front which would be to take any bad vibrations out of it...
If you have ute or comercial vehicle you should have an alloy shaft as std..The reason there is an issue with flex etc now compared to the old XA's ect is final drive ratio's have changed with four speed auto's and five/ six speed manuals..The old cars had around 2.7 final drives, now they are 3.23 / 3.45 so shaft is actually spinning faster...I may stand corrected but it's worse on T5/6 box's as the first gear is high so they require a 3.7/ 3.9 ratio spinning the drive shaft even higher..When Kelli fitted a T5/6 to her car it needed a lower final drive...Yes even with SIX bloody gears....That car has twp piece d/shaft now from M.Wood....Longer wheel bases doesn't help this issue of flex also..The EB/EL G.T's had fibre glass wrapped shafts to prevent these issues...A shaft loop wouldn't hurt either if you intend those speeds...Good luck....

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

But where would you get a tailshaft fibregalssed and tailshaft loop is a must if you intend those speeds regulary

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next