Fordmods Logo

Underdrive Pullys 

 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

 
 Post subject: Underdrive Pullys
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 1680

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 220kw 1600 Datto

Location: Scaaabz
WA, Australia

hey,

Ive seen that there are some underdrive pullys being designed for the facon 4L atm and it got me interested. I know the 5L guys find them to be great, but at what cost?
I hear that it can be harmful on bearings?
Also the fact that the waterpump and alt dont work as efficiently, does this cause a major problem?
Nearly worth going for a eletronic pump :rolls:

should be interseting to see the gains made, but i want to see what you guys/gals reccon :)


fanks

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 5924

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

I haven't got em on my ef, but the alternator spins slower, so the bearings won't get as high load on them.
on the other hand it won't charge the best at idle with some electrical load.
I too would like to know if you run into cooling problems with the water pump spinning slower.

 

_________________

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:20 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 2376

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Shell with 4 wheels

Location: Richmond,
NSW, Australia

yeah the i6 are pretty well underdriven as it is
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 50

Posts: 912

Joined: 22nd Mar 2005

Gallery: 1 images

Location: FNQ
QLD, Australia

Smack me upside the head and call me silly, but I strongly suspect that whoever's doing this will very likely verify that batteries won't go flat in 2 days and that engines won't overheat and self destruct at traffic lights before we see these pulleys for sale :-)

 

_________________

96 EF Auto GLi - Bilstein Shocks - Adjustable Front sway bar - JMM Cam - TI Perf J3 - TCI 2500/3000 stall converter. 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:46 pm 
Site Admin
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 8831

Joined: 18th Dec 2002

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
Smack me upside the head and call me silly, but I strongly suspect that whoever's doing this will very likely verify that batteries won't go flat in 2 days and that engines won't overheat and self destruct at traffic lights before we see these pulleys for sale :-)


Obviously you've got no experience with underdrives?

Whoever designs them will obviously have to put some thought into the current rotational speeds of the Alternator and Waterpump on the 4L's.

For us V8 users there are obviously gains to be made, and wastage reduced. I'm running the March Racing underdrive kit... it works a treat. The engine rev's much more freely, fuel consumption has dropped and she seems to go a tad harder also. They are proven to deliver 3-9RWKW peak, and possibly more under the curve (depending on configuration).

The only notable downside, if I can call it that, is that the alternator doesnt charge until >1800rpm. This isn't at all a problem, unless of course you sit at idle for >4 hours with high beam on, airconditioning on full, windscreen wipers going and pumping your fully sick habbibi 4000W RMS sound system. Even if you do feel the need, you can always bump the rev's up in neutral! :)

 

_________________

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 50

Posts: 912

Joined: 22nd Mar 2005

Gallery: 1 images

Location: FNQ
QLD, Australia

Waggin wrote:
Greenmachine wrote:
Smack me upside the head and call me silly, but I strongly suspect that whoever's doing this will very likely verify that batteries won't go flat in 2 days and that engines won't overheat and self destruct at traffic lights before we see these pulleys for sale :-)


Obviously you've got no experience with underdrives?

Whoever designs them will obviously have to put some thought into the current rotational speeds of the Alternator and Waterpump on the 4L's.

For us V8 users there are obviously gains to be made, and wastage reduced. I'm running the March Racing underdrive kit... it works a treat. The engine rev's much more freely, fuel consumption has dropped and she seems to go a tad harder also. They are proven to deliver 3-9RWKW peak, and possibly more under the curve (depending on configuration).

The only notable downside, if I can call it that, is that the alternator doesnt charge until >1800rpm. This isn't at all a problem, unless of course you sit at idle for >4 hours with high beam on, airconditioning on full, windscreen wipers going and pumping your fully sick habbibi 4000W RMS sound system. Even if you do feel the need, you can always bump the rev's up in neutral! :)



"Whoever designs them will obviously have to put some thought into the current rotational speeds of the Alternator and Waterpump on the 4L's." = exactly what I was saying - you may have misunderstood my point :-)

I've been using my own custom made underdrive Alternator pulley for over a year with no problem.

 

_________________

96 EF Auto GLi - Bilstein Shocks - Adjustable Front sway bar - JMM Cam - TI Perf J3 - TCI 2500/3000 stall converter. 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:22 pm 
Site Admin
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 8831

Joined: 18th Dec 2002

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Possibly :)

The 4L pulley design may have the accessories running at very near optimal rotational ratio now anyhow.. so there may be little to gain, but this certainly wasnt the case for the windsors.

 

_________________

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 1680

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 220kw 1600 Datto

Location: Scaaabz
WA, Australia

Wouldnt mind trying tho

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:48 pm 
Site Admin
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 8831

Joined: 18th Dec 2002

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

SVO XR6 wrote:
Wouldnt mind trying tho


Its not just about trying.. get your calculator and ruler out and start working out what the potential gains are.

 

_________________

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 2376

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Shell with 4 wheels

Location: Richmond,
NSW, Australia

about the noticeable gain you get from a k&n filter......f**k all
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 1680

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 220kw 1600 Datto

Location: Scaaabz
WA, Australia

Waggin wrote:
SVO XR6 wrote:
Wouldnt mind trying tho


Its not just about trying.. get your calculator and ruler out and start working out what the potential gains are.


hence me asking :P

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:20 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 40

Posts: 284

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Location: x
NSW, Australia

I think the falcon six is geared about right and the possible gains fairly minimal compared to the eights. Thats assuming the six and eight water pump and alternator have to be driven the same speed.

There is probably 3rwkw in it and you will not want to get stuck in traffic on a hot day.

I doubt its worth it
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 2376

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Shell with 4 wheels

Location: Richmond,
NSW, Australia

then again when your chasing every kw it counts lol

if some makes them and like proven they work then great how much but there is no use sitting here arguing about it if there goign to work or not.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 988

Joined: 4th Dec 2004

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

that bloody baby's fukn scary.

 

_________________

why do u write in here.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 492

Joined: 8th Nov 2004

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Wagon, ph34r!

Location: Northam
WA, Australia

So let me get this straight, you reduce the efficiency of your cooling and electrical systems for what, 3-9 extra kW? Nope, I see no logic in that whatsoever.

 

_________________

Team Argon Silver

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:10 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names