Fordmods Logo

Upgrading cam 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Upgrading cam
Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:08 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1992 falcon eb xr6

VIC, Australia

Hi all I'm thinking of changing the cam in my eb just wanted some advice I want go as high in the stages as i can go with a stock head and bottem end planing on getting head port and pollished but not at this time I want torque rather than top end speed I want it to open at like 2k or less and go to redline if possible after a rough idear of price as well thanks btw car runs on gas and is manual

1992 falcon eb manual xr6 minor head work j3 chip tuned to a el xr6 manual ecu pushing 130rwkw

Post subject: Re: Upgrading cam
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

My EF XR6 is moderately modified, mostly for improved breathing (see below). I had the cam reground basically one step hotter than the standard XR6 (Franklin RH24B http://www.camshafts.co.nz/Ford.aspx), and it gives what it sounds like you are looking for. I asked for the strongest cam that I could run with the stock XR6 ecu. It idles reasonably smooth, but with a slightly "cammy" sound. It gives good torque and fuel economy. And it's strong all the way from 2500 rpm to the 5800 rpm redline (with the breathing mods I have); power peaks at 5400-5500 rpm. But you can feel that there would be little gain in extending the redline, as the cam is pretty much at its limit. So, if you looked for a cam with specs similar to the RH24B, you wouldn't go far wrong. They say if there is any doubt, err on the mild side rather than go too hot - at least on a daily driver. But you are running a manual, so you can get away with a bit more - no torque convertor limiting your launch rpm. I did find that even the stock XR6 cam was a little weak at the 2100 rpm stall speed, and the hotter cam didn't help that. Fixed it with a high-stall convertor. The stock XR6 cam "wakes up" at about 2200-2300 rpm, and the RH24B at about 2400-2500 rpm. I run 98 octane, so not sure what effect (if any) gas will have on the way the cam responds.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:30 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1992 falcon eb xr6

VIC, Australia

Thanks bro hey what results did ya get installing a J3 chip and how pricey are they

1992 falcon eb manual xr6 minor head work j3 chip tuned to a el xr6 manual ecu pushing 130rwkw

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

No worries.

The J3 chip is the best value going. (Dare i say "cheap as chips"? :D ) TI Performance will sell you a custom pre-programmed chip for $190. That's a "bench tune" - Jason builds the tune based on your mods and the fuel you are using. It's not as good as a dyno tune (or as expensive), but he's done hundreds, so is pretty good at it. Best to get a dyno run done first, so he knows what AFRs he's starting with. Do it AFTER your cam. The J3 chip will take advantage of whatever mods you have done, and tie it all together. http://www.tiperformance.com.au/buy.php#Chips

The result on my EF was excellent - gave it more torque across the range, but especially at low-mid revs. I'm convinced it even sounds better :) I'm running 98 octane exclusively, so he could dial in more ignition advance. The EF is much more fun to drive than my AU2 XR6 VCT (which I will be chipping shortly).

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]