Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Upgrading I6 mission
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:42 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EBII Falcon & BF Falcon

WA, Australia

hey guys
basically got an 92 EBII gli auto I6, and i guess i've spent too much on the exterior and want some more performance mods. At the moment i've just got a 2½" Luckey exhaust and a high-flow cat.
I'm looking at gettin a bit more acceleration...ok mayb alot more.
just wondering what parts would be the best option including anything else which mayb be required in gettin them...considered

1. 3.45 LSD diff?
2. Extractors?
3. Cam?
4. Some sort of Chip or ECU?
5. Extra Airflow?
6. Shiftkit?

probly end up with the whole list but just need some more information on each i guess or if theres anything better i should consider. Almost bort a turbo kit a while back but i dont think the engines quite ready...(gained a bit of knowledge from the mods I6 guide thread)
hope this is alrite spot to post.
thanx
-Paul

EB2 Turbo & BF Wagon

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2004 Mazda Tribute

My order of preference... (in fact when I finally scrape together some more cash I'll be doing this myself...)

Exhaust and Headers (extractors) Do both at once... whole system.
    3.45 LSD Diff (My Ghia already has one though, so I'm not worrying about this one!)
    Intake
    Shiftkit
    Cam
    ECU change

Cams and Chips won't benefit as much without Intake/Exhaust mods. and the Diff will improve acceleration, (at the cost of a higher RPM at Freeway cruise)

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

My order of preferance would be:
*shift kit first (at 10 bucks for the parts why not go first)
*cam change (if you going a regrind) as value for money i think it is the best mod, however if I bought a billet cost would of been double and value for money wouldn't be nearly as great
*sports exhaust - gotta love the noise
*extractors/headers - best of getting done with the exhaust, otherwise power gain from the exhaust will be minimul, but sometimes you can't come up with all the dosh at once
*XR6/Tickford ECU - you'll be wanting this becase it'll make your car idle nicer with the cam and that.
*air intake work - personally I didn't notice any gains from this - I put some 3" intake piping, K&N filter and Tickford snorkel.

then I guess it's off with the head to get that worked and an aftermarket ECU.

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

first things to do is air in air out get a tickford intake pipe for a whole like $30 and hi flow filter,then go for extractors if you got more air goin in you gotta get more air out!next best bang for buck is a cam, wade 1004-112 regrind is a great torquey cam but your car is auto so you will have major idle problems without a chip so if you cam it get a chip at same time,personally recommend chip torque but its up to you,also for a regrind you will need a set of shims!for accelleration purposes you can change the diff ratio i went a 3.89:1 lsd but 3.45 is easier to get as it is a standard ratio and you can get a speedo drive so your speedo wont be wrong a 3.45 will be an lsd coz its the XR ratio or spend a bit more and get a 3.7!you can do a shift kit at any time coz its cheap and easy!there are a range of "performance" spark plugs i got bosch super 4's they claim up to 7kw and bosch sponsor ford!that should keep you busy for a while any questions pm me and i'll help the best i can

97 el xr6,5 speed short shifter,sequential scoop,no arial,freshly resprayed,low on 17's,3 inch zorst,stainless hi flo cat,snort stage 3 stainless manifold,garrett t04e,front mount cooler,wolf 3d ecu,seimens 760cc injectors,walbro fuel pump

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Mondeo XR5T

Power: 173 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Manual conversion. Best mod I ever done.

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:24 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

an xr ecu, it the way to go without chucking big $$$ into it.. leave some more for the alted cam that your gonna get, followed by a set of jim mock headers and either a redback or lukey exhaust, next as shugg said get a manual box.. don't worry about a shift kit, the best shift kit is your left arm and left foot.. you aint drivin unless your shift'n.
at any time whack an xr diff in the sucker.

I have a car.

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:06 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EBII Falcon & BF Falcon

WA, Australia

sounds good guys!
great feedback...so should i get like an EF cam or EL or Crown or ? what sorta thing would go in best? i realised i'd need to get an ECU to fix the idling. what model XR ya think i should get that out of? same as the came or ?
thanks for all this help makes it alot easier!
-Paul

EB2 Turbo & BF Wagon

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 1994 ED Ricer

WA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
My order of preferance would be:
*shift kit first (at 10 bucks for the parts why not go first)
*cam change (if you going a regrind) as value for money i think it is the best mod, however if I bought a billet cost would of been double and value for money wouldn't be nearly as great
*sports exhaust - gotta love the noise
*extractors/headers - best of getting done with the exhaust, otherwise power gain from the exhaust will be minimul, but sometimes you can't come up with all the dosh at once
*XR6/Tickford ECU - you'll be wanting this becase it'll make your car idle nicer with the cam and that.
*air intake work - personally I didn't notice any gains from this - I put some 3" intake piping, K&N filter and Tickford snorkel.

then I guess it's off with the head to get that worked and an aftermarket ECU.

I beleive a cam without a decent exhaust system is absoultely pointless.
I didnt gain much from a stage 2 cam, but my car LOVED the 3.45lsd.

If i was you instead of amanual confersion, get a 2500 hi stall, shift kit and 3.9 gears and u will chew manuals for breakfast!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]