Fordmods Logo

upgrading my air intake 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: upgrading my air intake
Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:37 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BF Falcon

VIC, Australia

I want to upgrade my air intake system on my bf xt. I am going to replace the grille snorkel with a v8 snorkel and have thought about fitting a turbo snorkel or shroud at the front of my air box. i have two questions
1. does the turbo snorkel/shroud just sit in the front of the airbox or does it plumb into something to direct the air into the airbox?
2. will i have to get the engine re-tuned after the installation?
any info would be appreciated!

I find your lack of faith disturbing!

Post subject: Re: upgrading my air intake
Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Vixen Red 09 FG XT

QLD, Australia

1. The lower snorkel (found on the typhoons and such) plumbs into the airbox itself. You can find on ebay for less than $100 if lucky. Or, you can make one up yourself, if you're a handyman.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-BA-BF-F ... 3cc3c35cab
(entire airbox and lower snorkel, already good to go)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-FORD ... 3cca67a123
(lower snorkel, you just simply have to modify your airbox to make it fit.

2. No point tuning if you're only going with intake. Tune only really comes in if you're getting full exhaust with headers, intake, underdrives, cams, injectors etc.

VIXEN FG XT Previous best - 14.431 @ 99.69mph with minor mods
Currently 14.235 @ 101mph same mods. Bring on the 13's!

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

the lower snorkel just sittings under the headlight, the area in which it sits is a 'high pressure' zone, think its got something to do with the airflow through the grill when the car is travelling at speed.

the engine won't have to be re-tuned the ECU will sort its self out after a couple of days.

while ur doing the intake look at getting a K&N filter, the air flow is only slightly better then the standard paper, but you can wash and re-use the K&N, and seeing as a dirty filter restricts performance, its cheaper and yeilds better performance in the long run to get a K&N

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

winman wrote:
while ur doing the intake look at getting a K&N filter, the air flow is only slightly better then the standard paper, but you can wash and re-use the K&N, and seeing as a dirty filter restricts performance, its cheaper and yeilds better performance in the long run to get a K&N

I looked at that once because I used to think the same thing.
Then when I sat down and added all the costs up, it was cheaper in the long run to keep using ryco or motorcraft filters then it was to buy the K&N filter and cleaning/oiling kit.

Not to mention the amount of dirt the K&N filters let through.
Through my own used engine oil analysis the Lab reports showed high silicon (dust) levels in the oil and climbing at each test. When I changed back to the Motorcraft the levels stopped rising and once new oil was used the levels stayed low.

Coupled with a 'power increase' so small you can't feel it, I can't see any reason to spend that much money on a filter.

If you don't believe it, setup an water manometer on the air box with one side of the manometer on either side of the filter. Report back with the manometer readings.

Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BF Falcon

VIC, Australia

thanks guys much appreciated

I find your lack of faith disturbing!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]