Fordmods Logo

URGENT!!! EL/EF-EA Engine Conversion Wiring??? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: URGENT!!! EL/EF-EA Engine Conversion Wiring???
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

So I'm half way through my engine conversion on my EAII 3.9L MPFI to EF engine. Now I've taken out the coil pack and added the dizzy to basically make it like an EL engine. Now I've got me an EL ECU and was hoping to use my current wiring loom. Now I've read the Tech Doco from troyman and all wires/plugs excluding the few differences he mentioned shoud line up. But it seems not so... These pics should outline my problem fairly quickly and it seems the new engine I've got has all the wiring all together. The distributer isn't a problem, it's mainly injectors and sensors... If you need any more pics let me know as I want to put this in tomorrow or next day.

The original wiring loom.

My problem???

Coil pack plug and Dizzy Plug...

Wiring loom for EF engine

Again wiring loom for EF engine cut out from old vehicle ready for my EA.

Today's job modifying the Crossmember. A job well done I think.

Today's other job painting my rocker cover...

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BA XR8

NSW, Australia

Hey,

Wouldn't it be easier to go to a wreckers and get an EL loom?? If you want to wait for a bit you can have mine, i'm going aftermarket.

Looks like you will have to re-wire most of it.

Cheers

Daz 8-)

edit: i got a manual which shows the pin outs and colours etc'. I could come for a drive to nowra if you like and see how we go?? I need to blow some cobwebs out of the Mav'. Give us a ring 0417 213314

BA XR8 Boss 260
DAZFAB......Now Mobile
Mink = GAY
DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DA22LE, XTT909, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN, SWC, FAT245

Last edited by DA22LE on Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Yeah that will be my option unless someone out there has an easier option... Putting in the wiring loom from an EL can be difficult I would imagine. Unplugging all of the wires in the dash, through too the brake and reverse lights??? Or am I wrong, will it be easier than cutting and soldering what I've got now??? By the way, out of curiousity, how much and when lad???

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BA XR8

NSW, Australia

Hey,

Dunno how much, i will be cheaper than a wreckers, as for when....how long do you want to w8??? ...I'm not to fussed,,,i am a bit busy with work atm, but i am sure we can work something out!!

Cheers

Daz

BA XR8 Boss 260
DAZFAB......Now Mobile
Mink = GAY
DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DA22LE, XTT909, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN, SWC, FAT245

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

As I understand it, you should be able to use your engine bay loom, and then use your Log manifold loom on the BBM with some small adjustments. However it should be noted that you need the BBM from an EL, not an EF.

So what you could do is use the Log manifold on the EF engine along with your current loom, and use the EA ECU to get it running.

I hope that made sense.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

Ben understands correctly, re-wiring your car is not necessary. My EL engine in an EB2 uses all EB wiring and BenJ knows the car works.
For the BBM and EL ECU conversion, use your EA MPFI loom to the injectors,sensors, dizzy, coil etc. and modify it as Troyman did for just a couple of connections to the throttle body area. Look just under the pix of the BBM in Troymans tech thread and you will see that's what he says to do and details how to do it.
Stockstandard writes in the general conversion thread, that the EL and EF BBMs are the same, if that is true you should OK, at the very least your car will run. I don't recall exactly why the EF BBM is regarded as unsuitable but I think it's to do with something in or on the top half of it. A search would turn up the answer.
Stockstandard also writes " Use the EL engine complete with ECU and loom", this is either misleading or a typo as it should read " Use the EL engine complete with ECU and EA-ED engine harness" as Troyman discovered.
Until someone gets more specific about why the EF BBMs aren't perfect for the conversion, I suggest you continue as if it's an EL, just fit your slightly modified EA2 mpfi engine wiring exactly as Troyman does.
As you've realised the EF looms will never plug and play with either an EA or EL ECU so you have some surplus stock.
Unless you're rewiring your whole car and keeping an EF ECU and coil packs all the EF wiring is useless to you and only good for providing the small connectors or pins to follow Troymans wiring instructions.
The EA-ED MPFI, EF and EL loom plugs are not interchangeable, it's only the EL ECU plug that is compatible with the EA MPFI -ED ECU plug.
Why did you modify your K frame? AFAIK, you only have to do that for an AU sump to fit in not the EF.
Install [wire] your BBM as above and if you find that the EF isn't perfect all you have to change is the top half of the BBM to an EL, easier than installing a log manifold if you've kept the EF serpentine belt and alternator etc.
Cheers,
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:20 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

The top half of the EL BBM has the two bolt mounts for the induction piping - the EF BBM doesn't, other than that, they are the same AFAIK.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

G'day Snap, how're the peepers?
I checked up after I posted that about the EF BBM and that was the only difference I could find also.
It seems you also type faster than me. LOL
Hope you see BenJ while your up, You'll get on well I think and he has something for you.
Cheers,
Paul

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:53 am 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

making this way to hard use all your orig wiring to get it going , if you add the el ecu now it will run , add the wires for fans , bbm and knock latter

NC2 Fairlane AU2 Intech 4.0 Wolf V500 ECU Accel 500cc Injectors Eaton M90 Blower MPx Porting 75mm Mustang TB Intercooler Holley 255lph EL XR6 Rear End 3.45 LSD Duel Fuel lots more.
Long and Very Nice

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:53 am 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

making this way to hard use all your orig wiring to get it going , if you add the el ecu now it will run , add the wires for fans , bbm and knock latter

NC2 Fairlane AU2 Intech 4.0 Wolf V500 ECU Accel 500cc Injectors Eaton M90 Blower MPx Porting 75mm Mustang TB Intercooler Holley 255lph EL XR6 Rear End 3.45 LSD Duel Fuel lots more.
Long and Very Nice

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:59 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

hi
as paulmac said i just used the ea mpfi loom it mounts straight on any ef or el manifold all the sensor plugs and injectors on the ea loom line up with the sensors on the ef/el manifold. except for the isc and tps these are the 2 that need to be extended and fit the tps and isc to the el throttle body..

its the au manifold thats not really compatable due to different act and built in map sensot

otherwise you only need to add the extra wires to the ecu plug for the bbm switch and knock sensor...

Last edited by TROYMAN on Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:20 am 

NSW, Australia

here is a few pics..
im using the ea mpfi loom with the ea distributor..

it looks like your trying to use the ef coilpack loom??
your loom looks a little different to mine i assume thats because yours is auto.
but that shouldnt matter.just use your original ea/ed loom.

also why did you modify your x member?
you only need to do this if your fitting a au motor.

Attachments:
DSC00627.JPG
DSC00627.JPG [ 311.46 KiB | Viewed 116 times ]
File comment: ea large loom plug
DSC00623.JPG
DSC00623.JPG [ 402.96 KiB | Viewed 142 times ]
File comment: ea loom/plug 1
DSC00622.JPG
DSC00622.JPG [ 411.62 KiB | Viewed 158 times ]
File comment: these 2 need to be extended from the front of the loom 2 the centre
DSC00626.JPG
DSC00626.JPG [ 290.14 KiB | Viewed 118 times ]

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

G'day Troyman,
I know you're helping 'THEBOSS' here but thanks also from BenJ and myself for those pix as we're putting his complete EL engine in very soon. We know what we've got to do but pictures are always very helpful.
Cheers,
Paul

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:31 pm 

NSW, Australia

no probs..

Last edited by TROYMAN on Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:53 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 5 Spd EA Wagon, 5 spd EF Fairmon

VIC, Australia

Just a quick question, and please forgive me if im wrong,
However, i was under the impression that there was no need to modify the crossmember for EF/EL engine conversion, only for AU with the alloy sump?????

Either way, looks like a very tidy modification, Two thumbs up!
Cheers
David

If you're not driving a manual, you are only steering...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next