Fordmods Logo

Urgent help needed problems with starting a ed. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: Urgent help needed problems with starting a ed.
Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:18 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Hi Guys,

I just purchased a ed futura 6 auto and i am having problems starting the car.

The car sometimes starts and others times you turn the key and the engine wont crank.The guy i bought the car off said you have to tap with ya hand under the handbrake and it will start.Well when the car doesnt start i do this and it starts.But sometimes i get stuck and it takes about 5 mins of hitting under the handbrake to start.

What i want to know is whats wrong with it and how can i fix it any advise u guys can give will be great.

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: fairmont

QLD, Australia

apparently there is a smartlock fuse under there sumwhere, i will get under my car to look today after work, what so the starter keeps clicking and nothing happens?? or it will crank but not the car wont start

Now i have a EF XR8 5spd.........mmmmmm 5L

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:27 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

yeah some more info. im not sure what the problem might be but it could possibly be some loose wiring?....just taking a stab here.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:37 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

The smartlock module lives there, so could be a loose plug, wiring or module issue. Try unplugging and plugging it back in.
The central controller also is mounted nearby, so don't play with the wrong one. These two were combined into the BEM in the later EF/EL models.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:38 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

wicksy wrote:
apparently there is a smartlock fuse under there sumwhere, i will get under my car to look today after work, what so the starter keeps clicking and nothing happens?? or it will crank but not the car wont start

When i turn the key to start the lights on the dash come up but then nothing happens from there on in engine doesnt crank nothing.

There was also a module fitted in the enine bay bye previous owner he said u stick a wire in to the module and it will start its f**k weird i know.

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:42 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
The smartlock module lives there, so could be a loose plug, wiring or module issue. Try unplugging and plugging it back in.
The central controller also is mounted nearby, so don't play with the wrong one. These two were combined into the BEM in the later EF/EL models.

Thanks dude ill take the plastic cover off and have a look how can i identify the smartlock module from the central controller.

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:49 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

effalcon6 wrote:
Thanks dude ill take the plastic cover off and have a look how can i identify the smartlock module from the central controller.
NP.
smartlock module: above handbrake, central controller: LH side handbrake.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: fairmont

QLD, Australia

sweet mite see if my car will start after i look at it, my car everything willwork but the starter motor will only click lol new battery,alternator and starter motor

btw good luck in getting car going mate

Now i have a EF XR8 5spd.........mmmmmm 5L

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:22 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
effalcon6 wrote:
NP.
smartlock module: above handbrake, central controller: LH side handbrake.

Thanks will check it out.

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:38 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Wagon V8

WA, Australia

You seem to have a faulty body module. hence the need to tap in that area. The Ford Mech I use says it can be changed however he also says it's harder to steal the car....you have to know to tap start it.

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:38 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Wagon V8

WA, Australia

You seem to have a faulty body module. hence the need to tap in that area. The Ford Mech I use says it can be changed however he also says it's harder to steal the car....you have to know to tap start it.

Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

whiteknight66 wrote:

Thanks buddie but i want to fix the problem and dont want to get stuck somewere.

Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:17 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH Ute

WA, Australia

whiteknight66 wrote:

My XH ute has had this prob for two years. I agree it is an extra security device having to tap to start. I just bump the rim of the steering wheel with my palm and "hey presto" away she goes. It is the BCM / BEM and the solder cracks inside with age and vibration. A new one costs around $400.00 . I bought one recently and will fit when i have the desire to wriggle in under the dash with a torch and a socket set.

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Na fairlane, xe 351 ute

NSW, Australia

my mate's ED had the exact same prob. when the key turned nothing happened and he had to tap it.

if you take it to a decent auto elec they should be able to fix it. whats actually happening is the wire for the immobiliser has worked its way loose and doesn't make a proper connection (why you have to tap the dash near the smartlock module). there are two options replace the plug (which as far as i know aren't sold separetly from the wiring loom) or do what my mate did and get the auto elec to remove the wire from the plug. This will disable the cars immobiliser.

btw the elec connects the immobiliser wire to another wire when he takes it off the plug. unfortunatly i'm not sure what wire it connects to and if you have an alarm with its own immobiliser i'd suggest getting that wire removed.

Current cars
1983 XE Ute - xf front, worked 351, straight gas
1990 Na fairlane - stock

ex cars
Fg xr6t, 80 series cruiser, ba xt, ea s-pac (xr6 test model), ke laser.

Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:45 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BFII XR6T & ED

SA, Australia

Same thing with my ED. When it first went I had no idea wtf it was...Ford told me the same thing, and after a while i got in the habit of turning the key and taking the handbrake off at the same time. When it goes back into the dash it is enough to make a connection and away it goes. From time to time when it needs the hand brake slammed into the dash to get it to fire the smart lock light will stay on until I get where I am headed. Otherwise it is no biggy now I know it will start as long as you know how.

The other week when my car was in having some paint done the poor bastards were pushing it around the paint shop as they thought the ignition was stuffed.....when he told me I jumped in my car, without missing a beat started it and asked him wtf he was on about.

Note to self - must fix it or remember to tell people when leaving car with them.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]