Fordmods Logo

URGENT!!!NO NIGHT LIGHTS!!!!! HELP!!!!!!! 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: URGENT!!!NO NIGHT LIGHTS!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!
Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:49 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

i have 92 eb wagon and when u was driving last night my headlights went dim, i have my low beams and high beams but not the normal driving lights that you need to drive at night. i dont know how to check the big fuses or how to check the battery or altenator to see if it os this. please help me i need all the help i can get!!!!! :!:

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo

Power: 303 rwkw

VIC, Australia

How can you have high beams, low beams, but not normal driving lights? The lights are parkers, low beam and high beam. If your high beam and parkers work but 'normal' low beam doesn't work then it shouldn't be a fuse. I'd check globes first as they are a two part low/high beam globe and check the wiring. Before buying globes just pull one out of another EB/ED or whatever and check to see if its the glove.

You don't have to check battery or alternator, but if you ever need to just put a multimeter across the battery and check the voltage.

Seems a little strange that both lights went at the same time but I have seen it happen, let us know how you go

EL Fairmont Ghia V8 Turbo 303rwkw

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

ok well you have three selections for your head lights right you have off the next one which is what i call low beam and then the next normal driving lights and then you have high beams which are with the blinker switch thing right. when i turn the driving lights on to turn them to normal night driving lights they are on low beam but the switch is on the normal driving lights. do yoiu get me now?

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

you either have park lights, low beam or high beam, high beam is when you push the indicator stalk forwards

Banned

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XHII pano, Landau

VIC, Australia

Check your relay.
Having trouble with this with a mates eb fairmont. They just go out, then if you play around with the relay they come back on. One day we may have to fix it properly :P

Automatics only come in assult riffles
---------------------------------------
www.aussiecoupes.net

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:18 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

well i have low beam and high beam not the park lights. but when i want the park lights on the low beam lights come on nad i cant get the park lights!

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

yellomello wrote:
well i have low beam and high beam not the park lights. but when i want the park lights on the low beam lights come on nad i cant get the park lights!

If you have no park lights, check if you have tail lights as they are on the same curcuit. If these are also out it is likely to be a fuse

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

if your headlights dont work, and ONLY headlights. meaning parkers and high beams work.

im guessing u might have changed bulbs to "white" style xenon hid style bulbs, 90% of them are s**t and just f**k up and die even tho they look fine. happened to me with last set i got (3 sets infact)

otherwise as the rest of the guys said, relays or fuses.

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

i havent changed the style of light bulbs. i have the rear parkers but not the front head light parkers. ive checked the fuses and switched the relays around and checked the light bulbs but they seem ok. what else can i do? help please!

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Have you checked the parker globes? They are to the outside of the headlight, just small globes - i'd check them first

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:16 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

Checked your PARK LAMPS fuse, that has probably blown.

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I'm still not convinced we are all talking about the same lights after reading the posts, as you wouldn't notice the lights to go dim while you are driving if the lights parkers went out.

1st click on the headlight switch is parkers, 2nd click are you low beams - these are the lights you drive with at night when its dark.
To get high beams going, push the indicator stalk forward.

Please clarify which one it is that i'm nearly convinced its not your parkers as you wouldnt notice them go while you driving - so therefore I think its your low beams.

If this is the case, have you checked the fuse in the fuse box inside the car? checked the relays? checked the globes?

Do this and you'll most likely find the problem as theres not much to it

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

ok i have low beams where you switch it once and i have high beams where you use the indicator knob to turn it on but i dont have the parkers the lights you need to drive around at night like when its dark. i have checked the fuses the relays and the bulbs. as for the small buld beside the headlight its the only light that comes on when i want my parkers. how i noticed thay went dim was when i was driving in a side street which was dark.

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Right, even thought we have said different things, I have worked it out...

1st switch is parkers (you dont drive round with these lights on usually)
2nd switch is low beam (these are the lights that you drive around with at night - and these are the ones that are out on your car)
high beam is when you push the indicator stalk forward and you only use these when no one is coming your way.

First question, when you headlights are on (2nd switch low beam), have you got rear tail lights? If the answer is no, check your fuse in the fuse box, if the answer is yes, then firstly check your globes.

Now that we have that clarrified that, pop your bonnet, and behind the light on each side there is a circular cover that the globe is behind. Take the cover off by twisting it then there is a strange wire clip holding the globe in. Get the globe out, chuck a new one in and see if it works. (Just do one for now and see if this fixes it) - If it does go no further and change the other one the same way and your on your way to having headlights.
If it still doesnt work then it must be your wiring or relays. Check you wiring and relays and if wiring look fine check your relays. Relays go fairly often so this is most likely the cause if its not your globes.

Good luck

EDIT: Forgot to mention that you probably wont be able to see if the globes are blown just by looking at them

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

yellomello wrote:
ok i have low beams where you switch it once and i have high beams where you use the indicator knob to turn it on but i dont have the parkers the lights you need to drive around at night like when its dark. i have checked the fuses the relays and the bulbs. as for the small buld beside the headlight its the only light that comes on when i want my parkers. how i noticed thay went dim was when i was driving in a side street which was dark.

Lets first straighten something out so everyone understands which lights you are having trouble with.

First switch = Park lights, very small lights for lighting car up whilst parked. NOT suitable for driving around with.
Second switch = Low beam, normal headlight use for night driving.
Stalk switch = High beam, used for night driving when no one in in front of you.

Now I am assuming you have a problem with your low beam head lights, is that right?

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next