Using a Timing Light 

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EAII Falcon S

QLD, Australia

heheh, good idea :lol:

here is a pic of the auxiliary shaft in the ea-ed.

Attachments:
timing case2.jpg
timing case2.jpg [ 184.43 KiB | Viewed 142 times ]

Speed Safely! ;-)

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

just for the record in a coil pack car the aux sprocket doesnt matter. the sequencer will still work regardless of where the timing is set up ad the magnetic pickup is on the harmonic balancer.

if it were me i would confirm that the tdc mark on your balancer is actually at tdc as ive seen many cars slip 3-4 degrees which is enough to set the cam timing up wrong. (you can check this with a piston stop, or put a screw driver down the plug hole and rock the motor back and forth past tdc you can feel where the top of the stroke is)

with the tdc mark confirmed reset the cam timing to 3mm above the head on the RHS (for #1)
the computer will take care of the ignition timing.

even if the balancer has slipped the ignition timing will not be effected as the pulse wheel is attached to the inside of the balancer.

mitch

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

mitchg911 wrote:
just for the record in a coil pack car the aux sprocket doesnt matter.

thanks i needed that confirmation

Quote:
the sequencer will still work regardless of where the timing is set up ad the magnetic pickup is on the harmonic balancer.

Is it possible that the mechanic damaged the crank sensor? How does it work? I tried cleaning all the grease off the pointer of the crank sensor as much as i could as i couldnt remove it without removing the balancer.

Quote:
if it were me i would confirm that the tdc mark on your balancer is actually at tdc as ive seen many cars slip 3-4 degrees which is enough to set the cam timing up wrong.

i though the balancer couldnt slip as it slots onto a key bit and only goes on one way?

I will try the screwdriver thing, and if im forced to reset the cam & gear, is it possible to move it without having to reset the tensioner as ive not very confident on doing it even though ive read countless threads on doing so

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR Turbo

NSW, Australia

i doubt he would have damaged the sensor, its a magnetic pickup the same as a wheel sensor in an abs system.

yes a balancer can slip,
a harmonic balancer consists of 2 pieces the inner being keyed to the crank, then the outer which is attached to the inner with a rubber strip. if the outer slips on the rubber your timing mark moves and hence everything setup off this mark is then wrong.

to adjust the cam timing properly you have to release the tensioner. especially if you need to move the cam clockwise.

mitch

BF XR6T 6spd Auto. 60lb injectors, Hybrid Cooler, Custom Piping, Custom Surge Tank, Actuator.

12.3 @ 114

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2