Fordmods Logo

using ba 6 intakes on au vct? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: using ba 6 intakes on au vct?
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR8 220 Manual

Hi folks,

Looking to get myself an au xr6 vct and will be looking to modify it. Was curious as to what gains people had with using the following combo...

A ba i6 intake pipe from the airbox to throttle body, a ba airxox with an au xr8 intake snorkle (these appear to be the biggest or am I wrong?)

Will this stuff all bolt in?

Am I better of getting a suitable k&n filter or do the std cotton ba bf ones flow as well as the k and n ones?

Any thought and suggestions are appreciated, note the car will receive a mandral exhaust with headers and a tune one its all done, would like to crack 200 at the engine if that's possible

Post subject: Re: using ba 6 intakes on au vct?
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

I had a similar setup on my EF i6. BA intake from T/B to airbox, modded EF airbox lid with a XR6 turbo snorkel (same as the AU XR8 snorkel but without the tickford wings) and a high flow pod filter in the airbox. Also had extractors and sports exhaust at the time as well..

To be completely honest, i didn't notice too much of a gain in power, more so throttle responsiveness, but then again i didn't carry out these mods at the same time - i.e. i put the XR6T snorkel on first along with a modded EF airbox lid, then a few weeks later BA intake etc. Probably would of gained a few KW's or so all together though. It felt a little more responsive through-out the midrange and seemed to pull easier to redline :wink:

Not too long ago, i ditched my pod filter and went back to my old used, standard paper filter. Didn't notice a damn bit of difference in performance between the 2 which leads me to believe, these high flow pod filters like K&N, Simota etc etc, don't make any difference on a near stock engine in a stock airbox, therefore a waste of money IMO. The only way you will get a decent gain is if you use a decent sized pod in a custom cold airbox with a cold air feed from a vent in the front bar - this is what i am working on at the moment and it seems to work well along with a few more mods that i have done lately. My 2c on that matter anyway..

Regarding the BA airbox into the AU, i think you may need some massaging to get that to fit in. From what i know, the BA airbox sits up too high and requires some bashing of the inside of the guard to get it to sit down lower. It still should be do-able though.. Piping and snorkel are a straight fit.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Awesome info thanks mate! I might go with ba intake pipe, xr6t snorkle (do these fit up with the bonnet correctly, like the au ones?) And std filter, might see I'll I can open the hole coming out of the airbox up a bit. Ever considered the typhoon second intake scoop mod?

Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

I'm pretty sure the XR6T snorkel goes straight onto the AU exactly like the stock one does. I sold my spare one a couple of weeks ago to a guy who had an AU 6 and he said it went straight on, lined up with the factory mounting points etc. I think i even read somewhere that these are now the stock replacements for the Tickford snorkel's that came out in the AU range - PapaSmurf would be able to confirm though :wink:

I did think about doing a secondary typhoon/behind the headlight type intake mod. At the time, i had a snorkel and a secondary 3" flex pipe from the front bar leading into the airbox so i thought that if i cut anymore of the lower box away there would be no lower front half of the airbox left :lol:. This is why i have now ditched the stock airbox altogether - plus i have a few plans for the air intake for when i hit the 1/4 mile in the future

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

sounds great mate, keep us all posted!

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BAII XR6T

NSW, Australia

Yea the BA XR6T are the same as the Tickford AU XR8 ones, if your after a set up have a look at my build thread. They only got for $40 too :)

FOR SALE BAII XR6 TURBO

Build Thread StrawbZ AU XR6 & BAII XR6T

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

awesome info mate i love the CAI in your build thread, what size is that pipe? did you notice a difference?

Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BAII XR6T

NSW, Australia

It's 3inch pipe man, FastXR makes them, send him a pm, and yea better throttle response , it seems to hold the gears longer.

FOR SALE BAII XR6 TURBO

Build Thread StrawbZ AU XR6 & BAII XR6T

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

sounds great, ps i love the build thread, will definately be refering to it once i get mine

cheers

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]