Fordmods Logo

Valve Springs 

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:39 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

What part number were the crow doubles that made the noise and what part number are the XR6 ones that were OK

EFXRWGN wrote:
Im the dude that just sold my Crow doubles I have an RPD R6 the Lifter noise was pretty bad so I went back too my XR6 springs and it eliminated the noise. If you are running a turbo cam or some other monster cam sure go for the Harder springs, other than that stick with XR springs at the most.

Turbo 6s rule

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Off the Crow site:

7739-12..........XR6 Valve springs to Jan-98

7333-12.......... Double Valve Springs

But be aware that on different parts of the Crow site the last 2 numbers become a single digit 6 for the same part. Also when you google the xr6 springs part number, theres a couple places which list it as the double valve springs, so it would be advised to double check before purchasing.

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:46 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The last digits refer to the amount of springs in the box ;)

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Fairmont, BA MK2 Futura

VIC, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
If your lifters are hitting the springs, you've snapped a rocker arm.
Its not physically possible otherwise
What sort of 'noise' is it making?
A constant tick tick, like as each valve on every cylinder opens, or is it just one or two ticks every now and again.

Ok it ticks when the car is warm.. and constantly. By the way my cousin is a mechanic and he installed this s**t on and he knows by what springs to get. ie overkill or not.
I dont know if the lifters are hitting the springs, thats all i can come up with for the noise. If i snapped a rocker arm, we would figure that the cars not working properly (car runs like normal, done a 1000km just makes noise), also my cousin would notify me straight away as he does this s**t for a living.

Mirrored Exterior Ghia|Pacy Comps w/S/S H.F Cat|Reco "Worked" Tickford Head w/new Gaskets|Redback 2.5" Exhaust|K&N Panel Filter|EL GT snorkle with 80mm tubing|Shift-kit|King Spring Superlows/Ultima Shorten Shocks|Kmac Camber Kit|Other Mods.

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:06 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Sounds like an oil pressure/supply problem to me, but thats just going off that vague description.
If your cousin is a mechanic, take it to him.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:42 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Fairmont, BA MK2 Futura

VIC, Australia

Steady ED wrote:
Sounds like an oil pressure/supply problem to me, but thats just going off that vague description.
If your cousin is a mechanic, take it to him.

Ya he said change the oil.. or let the springs wear in. Ill ask again when i see him.. saying still making noise.

Mirrored Exterior Ghia|Pacy Comps w/S/S H.F Cat|Reco "Worked" Tickford Head w/new Gaskets|Redback 2.5" Exhaust|K&N Panel Filter|EL GT snorkle with 80mm tubing|Shift-kit|King Spring Superlows/Ultima Shorten Shocks|Kmac Camber Kit|Other Mods.

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:56 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: AU 6

VIC, Australia

mmm thats a interesting find on google, makes me worry a bit.

Post subject: Re: Valve Springs
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
Just want to know how much lift are the stock EF valve springs rated to?

On the Crow Cam website, their xr6 springs are rated up to 600' lift, and their double valve springs are rated up to 650' lift.

Im looking at using a cam which has 512' lift, wanna know if the stock valve springs will be alright, as the xr6 springs look overkill?

I'm using ED XR6 valve springs for my cam that is 0.500" lift. If thats any help.
I'm not sure, but I think std springs won't handle 0.512" lift. Also depends on the duration/profile of the cam too.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

cjh wrote:
I'm not sure, but I think std springs won't handle 0.512" lift. Also depends on the duration/profile of the cam too.

thanks for the advice, what cam are you running by the way?

from what i gather, the stock springs will be 'ok' for .512" Lift.... BUT... not when theyre 12 years old. And yes like you said it also depends on the other specs of the cam whether the springs can recover fast enough.

Got some crow xr6 springs on order from repco for 108 plus 15 delivery just to be on the safe side. Took me ages to find a spring compressor that can actually be used whilst the head is on.

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
cjh wrote:

from what i gather, the stock springs will be 'ok' for .512" Lift.... BUT... not when theyre 12 years old. And yes like you said it also depends on the other specs of the cam whether the springs can recover fast enough.

Got some crow xr6 springs on order from repco for 108 plus 15 delivery just to be on the safe side. Took me ages to find a spring compressor that can actually be used whilst the head is on.

I'm using a Crow Custom grind billet, and I have a spring compressor, made it myself.

Attachments:
My 4.0 EF cyl head 010.jpg
My 4.0 EF cyl head 010.jpg [ 530.7 KiB | Viewed 232 times ]

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

lol thats fukin brilliant....... i dont think i could make anything as good and sturdy as that.

I paid 30 bucks for mine..... and it looks like an antique old pair of pliers

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:23 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

cjh wrote:
FordFairmont wrote:
cjh wrote:

I'm using a Crow Custom grind billet, and I have a spring compressor, made it myself.

That is some fancy spring compressor :shock: Awesome!

pauly_el_01 wrote:
Steady ED wrote:
If your lifters are hitting the springs, you've snapped a rocker arm.
Its not physically possible otherwise
What sort of 'noise' is it making?
A constant tick tick, like as each valve on every cylinder opens, or is it just one or two ticks every now and again.

Ok it ticks when the car is warm.. and constantly. By the way my cousin is a mechanic and he installed this s**t on and he knows by what springs to get. ie overkill or not.
I dont know if the lifters are hitting the springs, thats all i can come up with for the noise. If i snapped a rocker arm, we would figure that the cars not working properly (car runs like normal, done a 1000km just makes noise), also my cousin would notify me straight away as he does this s**t for a living.

Is it just ticking noises like lifters? Did you guys put in an extra shim? If so did your mate put retainers with the tappets? I was told that if you have an extra set of shims in each arm and then putting retainers in, will cause the tappet to get stuck and thus have the ticking noise.

I haven't put any retainers in and I haven't had any ticking noises since the first day I started the engine after the transplant. I am running Wade 1673 cam in an XR6 engine and extra set of 1.9mm shims in each without retainer after tappet.

Hope that helps.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
lol thats fukin brilliant....... i dont think i could make anything as good and sturdy as that.

I paid 30 bucks for mine..... and it looks like an antique old pair of pliers

You should see all the other tools I've made over the years, heaps of valve spring compressors for all sorts of donks, bush removers/installers, seal installers, tools to dismantle/assemble Ford power steering boxes, and last night I made a pressing tool, to get the gudgeon pin out, to dismantle a piston & rod assembly for a 4.0. I used it today, and it worked, without hurting the pistons, ( bonus ).

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:43 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

I like that spring compressor. Sometimes its easier to make your own tools for things like this.

Phongus, when your talking "retainer" are you talking about the little plastic thing on the lifter that can be pulled off.

So shim + no retainer made it a bit quieter for yourself

Turbo 6s rule

Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:28 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

turbotrana wrote:
I like that spring compressor. Sometimes its easier to make your own tools for things like this.

Phongus, when your talking "retainer" are you talking about the little plastic thing on the lifter that can be pulled off.

So shim + no retainer made it a bit quieter for yourself

yeah that little black plastic ring thing that is at the end of the tappet. Usually they break off when you take the tappet out to put another shim in. I didn't replace that retainer and just added the shim to it and put the tappet in. It is a bit tedious though when you put the rocker gear back in because the tappets tend to fall out, so use some tape to hold them up like this.

Hope that helps. Not sure as to quieter since this is my first time doing it, but it doesn't tick at all.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next