Fordmods Logo

Valve Springs 

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Valve Springs
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Just want to know how much lift are the stock EF valve springs rated to?

On the Crow Cam website, their xr6 springs are rated up to 600' lift, and their double valve springs are rated up to 650' lift.

Im looking at using a cam which has 512' lift, wanna know if the stock valve springs will be alright, as the xr6 springs look overkill?

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Surely someone here has used a high-ish lift cam on stock springs before?

also, how can i tell if the stock springs are coping?

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MKII Futura

VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:

yes as ive said 20 times already..

977b will work fine on stock springs.

if you are paranoid about it and want to do it on the real cheap just get some xr6 springs they are a bit more heavy duty and not as expensive as the crow double valve springs

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

akademiks wrote:
FordFairmont wrote:

yes as ive said 20 times already..

haha yes akademicks i believe you and appreciate the info youve given me.... its just that it would be good to have more than one persons view, surely others have done this before.... obviously not

cam is on the way, will take some vid of it once she's going. Crow do an XR6 spring on their website, but when you google the part number it comes up as their double valve spring on a few different sites. Double valve spring is no good for this, im led to believe it can ruin performance with too much tension...

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:20 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Fairmont, BA MK2 Futura

VIC, Australia

Since we on about springs, i got this worked reco head with NEW tougher valve springs, i still have stock cam, now i think my lifters make noise when the car is warm, not cold, because the lifters hit the springs, now is this right?
It never made noise with stock head.

Also do you think i need to change the oil as its penrite 15-60 (they say as good as 15-40/50), do you's think that the oil is the prob or it has nothing to do with the noise?

Or is it cos lift as the springs might be better off with higher lift cam?
Or is it cos the springs simply need to be warn in (done 1000km and counting)?

Mirrored Exterior Ghia|Pacy Comps w/S/S H.F Cat|Reco "Worked" Tickford Head w/new Gaskets|Redback 2.5" Exhaust|K&N Panel Filter|EL GT snorkle with 80mm tubing|Shift-kit|King Spring Superlows/Ultima Shorten Shocks|Kmac Camber Kit|Other Mods.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

pauly_el_01 wrote:

it could be possible, cause there was a bloke on here that had for sale a set of Crow double valve springs, because it was overkill for his car/cam and making heaps of noise.

From what ive researched, you cant just throw huge valve springs on the car, everything has to be in spec of the combo with regards to spring height, released pressure, standing pressure etc.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BA MKII Futura

VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
pauly_el_01 wrote:

it could be possible, cause there was a bloke on here that had for sale a set of Crow double valve springs, because it was overkill for his car/cam and making heaps of noise.

From what ive researched, you cant just throw huge valve springs on the car, everything has to be in spec of the combo with regards to spring height, released pressure, standing pressure etc.

as with all parts of the engine a well designed package will perform better than the best of this slapped onto mild that together with stock whatsits slapped together.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:21 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Fairmont, BA MK2 Futura

VIC, Australia

Ok people here it is, i was slowly adding performance mods right, but then my head gasket went, so i figured since by head is out, might has well get tickford "worked" reco head etc, cos the head highly unlikely to come out again, so thinknig of the future mods (which i was about to get extractors) i got a head that will suit me later in time. TRUE OR WHAT. i would of regret it, if i didnt do nothing to the head, just changed gasket and then i did mods. (which i know i will, extractors them cam) it would of been s**t to me.

All i did is thinking for the future. Also when head came out was gonna change cam, but i still didn't have extractors yet. head gasket went a few weeks early, cos like i said gonna get extractors very soon.

Mirrored Exterior Ghia|Pacy Comps w/S/S H.F Cat|Reco "Worked" Tickford Head w/new Gaskets|Redback 2.5" Exhaust|K&N Panel Filter|EL GT snorkle with 80mm tubing|Shift-kit|King Spring Superlows/Ultima Shorten Shocks|Kmac Camber Kit|Other Mods.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

thats fair enough. Just saying if you got double valve springs on there with a stock cam, it might be the cause..... or most probably a faulty HLA

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:52 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

If your lifters are hitting the springs, you've snapped a rocker arm.
Its not physically possible otherwise
What sort of 'noise' is it making?
A constant tick tick, like as each valve on every cylinder opens, or is it just one or two ticks every now and again.

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:12 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: AU 6

VIC, Australia

i have saloon spec springs on my Au but i now have a standard cam back in with new lifters, and the lifters tick tick away, are the springs to stiff, ive been told the springs can never be to stiff no matter what cam you have but im sceptical, maybe i shuld throw a big cam in.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Taken from a google search. The stiffer the spring, the more wear and strain on the valve train, including chain and guides

As is widely known, the most important aspect of selecting a valve spring is to get a spring with the correct seat pressure, open pressure, and spring rate for the cam in the engine and with the rev limit that will be used kept in mind. Too little seat pressure robs power and impairs idle quality and vacuum. Too little open pressure can lead to valve float with resultant power loss and even damage to the valve train. So why not simply use the baddest, stiffest spring you can find?

It comes down to cost, wear on components, and maintenance. A very stiff spring needs a very stiff pushrod, heavy duty rockers with high quality studs or even shaft mount rockers, better than OEM lifters, retainers, and keepers. And even when the high quality, more expensive components are used spring life for stiff, high lift springs is diminished and more heat is generated during operation. So, you want enough spring, but not too much.

Post subject: Re: Valve Springs
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

FordFairmont wrote:
Just want to know how much lift are the stock EF valve springs rated to?

On the Crow Cam website, their xr6 springs are rated up to 600' lift, and their double valve springs are rated up to 650' lift.

Im looking at using a cam which has 512' lift, wanna know if the stock valve springs will be alright, as the xr6 springs look overkill?

XR6 springs will be fine. i'm using original (IE 220 000km old) XR6 springs with a cam that has just short of .530" lift on the intake side

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

cheers will run the cam for a couple weeks first before fitting the xr6 springs. What cam you running? Specs?

Cant wait to run the 977b, its gonna be rich as f**k, but who cares :P

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:24 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: XR6 Wagon

WA, Australia

Im the dude that just sold my Crow doubles I have an RPD R6 the Lifter noise was pretty bad so I went back too my XR6 springs and it eliminated the noise. If you are running a turbo cam or some other monster cam sure go for the Harder springs, other than that stick with XR springs at the most.

ImageImage
EF XR6 Wagon,RPD R6 cam,Wildcat extractors, Magnaflow cat,2.5" Lukey exhhaust.
Too many more too list

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next