Fordmods Logo

Vaporate fuel saving system? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Vaporate fuel saving system?
Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Hi everyone,

I have been reading the forums for a while now. I have a 2003 BA Futura.

I am just wondering if anyone as ever tried one of these fuel savers: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 4588011361

I am interested in getting one as a result of the recent fuel prices and just wondering people's opinions before I get one.

Cheers,

Loz (Laurinda)

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XHII pano, Landau

VIC, Australia

Dont bother, If its what im thinking it is its only copper washers they put around your injectors??

Really not worth the price, and i hear they dont really work that well anyways. Also heard it can reduce the life of the injecters as they get clogged easier

can anyone confirm?

Automatics only come in assult riffles
---------------------------------------
www.aussiecoupes.net

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

I don't see how it could effect your injectors getting clocked.
I've only heard positive from customers I've sold to at work.
Check out fordforums.com.au, there's a couple of guys on there who have fitted them and that and have posted the results, have a chat to them! As your not gunna get a better opinion than the one you'll get from them since they've fitted it to a similar/same car and should be unbiased.

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Here's what I posted about the vaporate system in another thread in the ECU section a while ago.

We all know the typical pintle style injector. It's just a pintle that's opened and closed by a solenoid and they squirt out a jet of petrol. To role of a standard pintle injector is not really to vapourise all the fuel at all. It's to get the fuel into the engine.

The vapourisation of the fuel relies on a few things. Firstly, it relys on a mechanical mechanism to break up the jet of fuel. Injectors are usually directed towards the side of the intake port or at the back of the valve. As the fuel hits this surface, it breaks up the fuel into small droplets.

The second process of vapourisating the fuel is heat. You'll notice that on the Vapourate site, they talk about the fuel vapourising as it's being "buffeted" I think they say, by the air entering the engine. Actually what is happening is the fuel is drawing heat out of the air to change its state from liquid to gas. This process has the added benefit in that it reduces the air temperature and increases the air density going into the engine.

Now, enter vapourate. It works by heating up the fuel as it exits the injector by drawing heat from the intake manifold. Now, this has a few drawbacks.

1. If you heat up the fuel with heat from the intake manifold, the fuel no longer draws heat from the air going into the engine. So you don't get the reduction in air temperature and increase in density. This equates to less power.

2. In high power cars, the fuel helps to cool the intake vavle. Since this valve gets hot, the fuel also draws heat from it as it passes to vapourise the fuel. The intake valve is probably running around 500 or 600 degrees C or more. Now, the vapourate system says that drawing heat out of an 80 C manifold is more effective that drawing heat from a 500C valve? By the fuel drawing heat from the intake valve, you increase valve and valve seat life, and you also reduce the chance of pre-ignition caused by a hot intake valve.

3. In any injection system, whether it be sequention, or banked, results in fuel pooling up behind the intake valve before entering the engine at some point in the RPM range. Don't believe me? a simple maths equation proves it.
Injectors are usually sized to run @ no more than 80% duty cycle @ peak power. Some OEM manufacturers may choose to run a lower duty cycle so they can run the same injector in low power varients of their engine aswell as high power varients. So, let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say they chose 60% duty cycle. This means that under full throttle, @ peak power, the injector is open 60% of the time. The intake valve, having about 270 degrees duration, is only open for 37.5% of the engine cycle. So, the injector is open when the intake valve is closed and this results in fuel pooling up behind the intake valve.

This results in two things.

1. It gives the fuel more time to absorb heat from the intake valve to aid vapourisation.

2. When the intake valve starts to open, you can get very, very high gas speeds passing by the intake valve. Speeds in excess of the speed of sound aren't uncommon. This huge acceleration of the air, sucking the fuel past a very small opening does wonders for atomisation. It's using the venturi effect that all carbies use to vapourise the fuel for the engine.

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
I don't see how it could effect your injectors getting clocked.
I've only heard positive from customers I've sold to at work.
Check out fordforums.com.au, there's a couple of guys on there who have fitted them and that and have posted the results, have a chat to them! As your not gunna get a better opinion than the one you'll get from them since they've fitted it to a similar/same car and should be unbiased.

Have you got any hard evidence by any chance?

I'm all for it if it works, but there is just too much emphasis on selling the system and no real results.

i.e. They say it will save you 10% - 20% on fuel. However!! On the vapourate site, NATAs lab results show 6.4% - 6.8% reduction in fuel consumption. Even though NATAs own lab results show a maximum of 6.8% reduction in fuel usage, vapourate have the audacity to say that NATAs lab results show up to a 10% reduction..... Nooooo, 6.8%. Don't lie! Well, this is illegal for one and mis leading at best. It would be different if the two statements were on different pages.... but they're on the same bloody page!!

I'd like to see the test results that show a 20% reduction in fuel usage. I like to see people put their money where their mouth is instead of just posting figures and hoping people won't question them.

After all, I could say I have the largest brain in the history of mankind @ 5kg.... but unless I die and you weigh my brain, it can't be proven. Are you going to take my word for it? I didn't think so.

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

Sounds like a viable system. Although as unclewoja pointed out I'd take the figure they give you and halve it and you'd be close to what you'll be actually getting.
Is it good for anymore power or just economy?

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

unclewoja wrote:
Have you got any hard evidence by any chance?

No, it's no use to my LPG system.
But if you reread my post, you'll figure were you can find some! Go talk to the blokes on FordForums.com.au who have fitted them!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]