Vernier Adjustable Cam Gears For 4.0l OHC 

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Vernier Adjustable Cam Gears For 4.0l OHC
Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF Fairmont AU Falcon FG XR6

VIC, Australia

im thinking of getting a Vernier Cam Gear for my fairmont within the next few weeks im going to get a 977b which i belive is fine for stock ecu (the best for stock ecu

at this stage i want to get the best cam i can with the stock ecu only due to money and other things to pay for

so would u belive the 977b is perfect and do you think its best to get a vernier cam gear and double valve springs new shims etc

any help would be great done a search but didnt really uncover anything but i did learn something new

cheers
justin

My Fairmont

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The Best is just a matter of opinion

i would get the 1637 grind + shims. if u can afford it get the better springs.

presume this is for an EF, so u cant adjust timing the vernier gear would be a good investment.

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:06 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

i have a cam with similar stats to the 977b, and i have crow double springs with the center spring removed.

the vernier gear was increadably usefull as i had my cam was quite hard to setup properly.

latest mod: A Service
MY BUILD THREAD

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Car auto or manual?

Did Wade recomend the double valve springs and vernieradjustable cam gear for the 977b?

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

ok ive just fitted the 977b behind my manual, and found the idle is very tame, car does not hunt at all. So it could possibly work behind a stock auto, even if you had to bump the base idle up a tad.

BUT, without really short diff gears or a highstall, its gonna run like absolute s**t behind an auto as the power curve starts high up in the revs and would take your car forever to get there.

And it doesnt hurt to have a small bump up in compression when running bigger cams, or you could actually lose compression and hurt performance.

No, you dont need a vernier gear, as Wade cams are ground to fit 'as is'

Moving the vernier gear forward a couple degrees will help bring the power curve back, but without dyno testing its just pissing in the dark.

Even though my car runs sweet, its running really rich and needs a chip as bigger cams like this play havoc with the map sensor. I'd say even the 1636 would benefit from a chip as it had the same effect but to a lesser extent.

And Heavy Duty valve springs, even just Crow xr6 springs will be sufficient for the 977b, as 12 year old stock springs wont cut it.

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

^^^sorry to jack topic but i have heard of a few people running the 1673 with stock auto and stall and not reporting any problems apart from sometimes idling like a dog on cold mornings before warming up

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

skidder wrote:
^^^sorry to jack topic but i have heard of a few people running the 1673 with stock auto and stall and not reporting any problems apart from sometimes idling like a dog on cold mornings before warming up

yeah but the cam being suited to the combo is a different story.

Just because it runs doesnt mean there is a performance increase over the smaller 1636 cam behind the stock auto. The fact is that the 1673 works higher in the rev range and the auto's long first gear is not suited to the top end revving cams unless it has short diff gears like 3.7/4.11 or high stall to get it in the power range quicker.

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

yeah i assumed people running that combo had higher gears.

I was gonna get a 1636 until my mate wrote off his car last week and said i could have his 3.7 LSD...yahtzee :D

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Modified EA-S Falcon

Power: 142 rwkw

NSW, Australia

you will need the vern gear, its not really worth putting a cam in without dialing it properly with a vern gear and cam dialer. personally the best gear for stock ecu is the CMS range, i had the 1673 then the CMS stage 2. now with the stage 3 ive got its even better. any high end cam will require better springs, either CMS stage 3 or even the 977b i believe needs them too.

Also ford fairmont any upgrade cam really needs an adjustable vern gear, even wades. the wade i had in was running like dogs until i put a vern gear in and had it dialed properly.

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Kenwood Maverick wrote:
Also ford fairmont any upgrade cam really needs an adjustable vern gear, even wades.

I dont quite agree.

i fitted a 1636 cam as a direct replacement and pulled 138kw at the wheels, with only exhaust and intake mods and running a manual.

No dialing in or nothing. I have also fitted the 977b cam the same way but have since fitted a vernier gear and added 1 degree advance but ONLY because a few things like new timing chaing, head shaving and thinner au gasket had put the cam gear mark too far above the head.

Whilst i know dialing in a cam can be important, Wade cams grind their cam to be run 'as is' as far as i know and so far for me its worked.

I will get some dyno figures in a few weeks with my 'un-dialed' cam and see how i go :wink:

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Modified EA-S Falcon

Power: 142 rwkw

NSW, Australia

good luck with it champ, 138kw seems a bit generous to me, im also going on experience with the wade cam i had and the mods done at the time. i then changed to a CMS cam and it ran smoother with more power. Will have mine on a dyno on saturday with the changes so will let ya know how she goes with the new gear.

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Aint nothing generous about it mate. Its actually lower than what most others have got with similar mods.

Just cause you had 120 something kw with your car, doesnt mean other peoples cars arent running well.?

But yeah im curious to see what your car pulls with the new setup....

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

it doesn't seem generous........just ludarcis.

sounds like a jmm dyno actually.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

yeah you could just f**k off

Or maybe even crawl out from underneath your rock and accept that 140kw is achievable with just cam, exhaust and intake.

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

i'll believe it when i see it around

and it's still unfair to say most falcoons would do it.

seems like something that would be more advertised..

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next