Fordmods Logo

very thirsty falcon 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: very thirsty falcon
Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:54 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BA MKII

VIC, Australia

ive recently noticed my BA2 falcon likes to suck the juice...
from a full tank im averaging about 300km with VERY conservative driving

its a NA 6 with only 38k on the clock
ideas?

Post subject: Re: very thirsty falcon
Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: f6 rspec

NSW, Australia

what type of driving do u do? Work and back i do 350 to a tank with my ef, on the highway i get 550 plus..thats with a untuned BIG cam aswell

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:12 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

most of my driving is around town to and from work etc
its just really bad economy... my vt crappadore used to average around 500k with the same driving

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:25 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

FORDom wrote:
what type of driving do u do? Work and back i do 350 to a tank with my ef, on the highway i get 550 plus..thats with a untuned BIG cam aswell

Shiet...I get 800 out of highway and close to 450 metro...you must gun it a lot on the roads :shock:...

And to the OP...300km per tank does seem thirsty. Do you drive far to and from work? Check for any vacuum leaks, O2 sensor, Map sensor (if they even use them anymore), blocked catalytic converter or you have a petrol leak somewhere.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

holy shyte i'd say you have a hole in your fuel tank, 300 from a ba is absolutely pathetic, i get between 500-700 on average mixed driving from my bf. (averages double the k's)

blocked cat would show symptoms,as would map sensor & vacum leaks. does it act like it did when you bought it ? you didn't mention when you bought it and how many k's it had then in comparrison, this would be helpful. if it was like it when you bought it i wold be going round to burn the guys house down because thats attrocious.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:45 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU series 1 XR6

SA, Australia

sorry bout the hijack but what is the best way to go about testing for a vac leak

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:47 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
FORDom wrote:

Shiet...I get 800 out of highway and close to 450 metro...you must gun it a lot on the roads :shock:...

And to the OP...300km per tank does seem thirsty. Do you drive far to and from work? Check for any vacuum leaks, O2 sensor, Map sensor (if they even use them anymore), blocked catalytic converter or you have a petrol leak somewhere.

phong =P~

i drive about 15km to work then back and thats mostly the only trip i do on weekdays besides the odd run here and there
where the hell could i have a fuel leak? could that explain why on friday i parked it up with distance to empty reading 120k and when i drove it again on sunday it read 70k on startup? or does that not mean anything?... didnt notice any fuel on the ground....

i bought it at 30,000 and now its done 38,000, always been this thirsty and it was brought as an ex fleet car from my mums work so it was only driven by old ladies since new till i got it lol

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Maybe you need to have the pressure checked on your fuel system? We had a ute that was 18litre-100klm, pretty bad, was the fuel pressure regulator.

Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:02 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

hmmm...sometimes if you travel short distances, the car wouldn't have heated up and thus using more fuel to get places, in saying that...it shouldn't use THAT much fuel even if you travelled 5km per way each day.

Get your fuel system checked if you're not sure what to look for. Also check the O2 sensor, might be an issue there.

Also petrol doesn't always leak onto the floor, you could have a bit of petrol dribbling out of the injectors/fuel rail/regulator and they evaporate before you can see them. Petrol evaporates quicker then water, so if a single drop occurs during no pressure, it'll evaporate within minutes before you realize there is a puddle.

Turn the key to the on position and let the fuel pump prime, and then check for any dripping. I use a piece of paper or something around the fuel line under the car to see if it drips.

Check your fuel cap as well.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: BA

NSW, Australia

Yeah I notice my BA using a lot of fuel. Was getting around 10L/100 but now using 12.7L/100. Also notice that the car drops revs at lights seeming like its about to stall.
Change air/oil/fuel filter. That made a little difference. But it is still going up slowly.
Injector clean can get me about 50km more out of the tank.

Think I have a fuel problem. I believe that a injector is not working properly.
Any ideas on how to test or other views on what can be wrong?

"Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits."
"Chuck Norris is so fast, he can run around the world and punch himself in the back of the head."
"Chuck Norris ordered a Big Mac at Burger King, and got one."

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:58 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

Sounds like its running very rich. As said before check vacuum hoses and fuel pressure. Be good to get someone to check your a/f ratio whilst driving. Laptop with sensor in tail pipe to see if oxy sensor is working properly. If your oxy sensor is sending the wrong feedback about the a/f ratio, this will cause the ecu to richen up the mixture by increasing injector on time. Also a faulty thermostat or engine coolant sensor can tell the ecu that the engine is still cold hence the mixture will also be richened by the ecu (like pulling the choke on carby car). How the cars temp?

A laptop with an OBDII cable and good diagnostic software should be able to pinpoint which part of your closed loop system is letting you down. Not the sort of gear most of us have at home so might be worth ringing some tuning mobs to see if they can do an on car driving test with laptop connected.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 97 EL futura & BF XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

when i got my bf xr6t with 45000 k's and i get around 300 k's city driving and now that i have 61000 k's i get around 450-500.
what i have realised and been told that with the new cars that are coming out they use more fuel with lower k's but when they reach about 80000 k's they start using less fuel.
with my el i bought it when it had 40000 k's and i was only getting around 250k's per tank (city driving) but when i reached over about 80 - 100000 k's i was getting around 500k's per tank (thats driving heavy aswell) so i think that maybe it is the same way with the bf's maybe i am wrong but that is what i have realised

there is only 2 rules in driving go hard or go home

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]