Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Vibration/droning noise at 80km/h
Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:04 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Bassfreak55 wrote:
It's just that whole 'wave' sound effect I'm worried about - sounds like there is a little 'play' somewhere, like a bearing or bush.

I guess I'll just have to start with replacing the transmission extension bush/seal/gasket and have the rest of the tail-shaft checked.

Knowing that its probably torque converter related, I wouldn't go spending alot of cash on things that wont necessarily help improve it. Maybe goto a trans shop and ask them about it.

I did have a converter rebuilt ages ago for an auto I had and was told the factory tolerances are pretty big. You might just have one of those Friday arvo built ones.

Does it go away when your cruising say at 100 or 110km/h, when the engines making a little more power and rpm?

I remember when I had the auto in my EL I would always try to make the converter unlock when accelerating in the situation. Mainly because it just felt like you were hurting the thing.

Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:37 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Ford Falcon XG

VIC, Australia

any rough figure to get tailshaft balanced??

Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:48 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Usually $70 to $200.

Depends whether you take the shaft out for them. Of if you get them to replace the uni's as well.

I'd be getting them to replace the uni's too. Be stupid to do half a job really.

Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU III XR8 347ci

ACT, Australia

I'll just get them to do everything - transmission extension seal, bush & gasket, uni-joints as well as checking the tail-shaft balance... Hopefully that will cover everything!

Is there anything else I should replace around there while I'm at it?

Can anyone recommend any good placed within Canberra? If not Canberra, how about within Sydney?

Thanks heaps for your help guys!

Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1997 EL Ford Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

i seem to be having the same problem but at 100kmh. All is well untill i get up to the 100kmh mark, then if i am coasting there is vibration in the whole car. Not particularly bad, but very much noticable. When i get to 110kmh, it is gone. I get the feeling there is something unbalanced somewhere, but i would not have a clue where.

Posted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:55 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Thats something different.

Would be uni joints.

If there is a vibration in the car at 100km/h when under load, it would most likely be wheels or tailshaft.

If it happens when you take your foot off the throttle and you get a sudden burst of vibration from the back and then it kinda settles down but is still there until you get to 70 or 80, its typically uni joints.

Once again, shaft out, new uni's and balance and go from there.

There is a possibility that it could be rear end arm bushes cos the pinion angle is wrong, but generally not on a stock height car. If its lowered, there is a higher chance of it being that.

Posted: Fri May 28, 2010 11:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

arm79 wrote:
Bassfreak55 wrote:
It's just that whole 'wave' sound effect I'm worried about - sounds like there is a little 'play' somewhere, like a bearing or bush.

I guess I'll just have to start with replacing the transmission extension bush/seal/gasket and have the rest of the tail-shaft checked.

Knowing that its probably torque converter related, I wouldn't go spending alot of cash on things that wont necessarily help improve it. Maybe goto a trans shop and ask them about it.

I did have a converter rebuilt ages ago for an auto I had and was told the factory tolerances are pretty big. You might just have one of those Friday arvo built ones.

Does it go away when your cruising say at 100 or 110km/h, when the engines making a little more power and rpm?

I remember when I had the auto in my EL I would always try to make the converter unlock when accelerating in the situation. Mainly because it just felt like you were hurting the thing.

The second lock-up occurs in 4th gear at 80km/h, the above-mentioned noise starts. The noise will remain there regardless of what speed I travel while lock-up is engaged. In saying that though, the noise is definitely more prominent when under throttle, i.e. going up a hill or over-taking. Also, the noise is relative to the speed being traveled, I.e. the faster the speed, the faster noise (in 'waves').

Do these symptoms sound more consistent with a torque converter problem or bush/bearing related?

Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:19 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

The only problem with being in Melbourne is not being able to hear how loud the drone is to compare it to what I remember.

The drone will always be there no matter what the speed, but it normally lessens up the faster you go when cruising. When accelerating at any speed under lockup, the drone will always get louder and feel like the engine is struggling.

To me, everything sounds like its a normal I6 under converter lockup.

Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

arm79 wrote:
The only problem with being in Melbourne is not being able to hear how loud the drone is to compare it to what I remember.

The drone will always be there no matter what the speed, but it normally lessens up the faster you go when cruising. When accelerating at any speed under lockup, the drone will always get louder and feel like the engine is struggling.

To me, everything sounds like its a normal I6 under converter lockup.

If it was just the droning alone, I would have though it was normal also. But considering that the drone comes and goes in an obvious/distinctive 'wave' effect, it appears as though something is not quite right...

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2