Fordmods Logo

Voltage Dramas!!! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Voltage Dramas!!!
Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Being the turkey that I am, after buying a new battery I hooked up the + to the - and - to the +, my mind was in dreamland, lol. The car had a fit and blew the ignition fuse, I put the terminals right and fixed the fuse, but now when the cars running the voltmeter gauge shows the orange warning light constantly, meaning there is an issue with the electrical system of some sort. The gauge shows one notch under midway which I think is lower than normal. The car's an EF Mont. Any ideas what the prob. could be?

Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 95 EF I

VIC, Australia

blown regulator or diodes in the alternator? wouldnt run it til an auto elec has looked at it mate, could fck the new battery if not more...

Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

if you have the wiring diagram for the car such as in a gregories, see what will trigger the warning light to cut down the list of potential problems, then makes sure they all work properly. If the warning light only activates if the voltage is too low, test the battery yourself with an external tester to work out if the battery is stuffed or the voltmeter is stuffed.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

zxhoon wrote:
blown regulator or diodes in the alternator? wouldnt run it til an auto elec has looked at it mate, could fck the new battery if not more...

If there is anything wrong with the alternator, the alternator warning light would flash up on the dash? I should mention the car drained a brand new $170 Bosh battery in 2 days just sitting under the carport. I found the glove box light would not turn off so I took that out it had been on the whole time, could have been the cause? The radio doesn't work now either, lol, I got a proper battery charger onto the battery though and it's nice and strong again. It's been in the car for over a day and is still charged. Bloody electrics, intense stuff..I'll have a gander at the Gregory's manual but my electrical skills are sh!thouse.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]