Fordmods Logo

Wade 1604 in... where to now? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Wade 1604 in... where to now?
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:59 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Today the xr was treated to a new cam (wade 1604), crow valve springs and venier gear. As i kinda expected it didnt do a whole lot for me... first drive i took it for it was doughy and pretty lacklustre.
i got back reset the ECU and drove it round for a while and it is a fair bit better now but not much on my old XR. Bottom end and torque is better as expected but up top its so-so... much the same.

One thing for sure is the bottom end is a fair bit better. i did a test in 5th from 40kmh (900rpm) to a land mark and it got to 100kmh (2350) with the old cam. today with the new cam it pulled a 117kmh! but felt no faster by the seat of the pants.It has a very smooth power delivery and dosnt feel as fast as my old xr6 cam, which came on strong after 3000rpm. could it be that this cam is just smoother yet faster and i cant tell... :S LOL

The cam isnt dialed in yet properly and the vernier is set at 0 for the moment so their maybe a bit left but time will tell with fiddling on the dyno, but it feels down on power up top compared to my xr cam.
I must say though the cam was flawless, never hunted idle and purred like a p***y cat on startup. U couldnt tell that there was a different cam in there!!
SO.... what i ask is where to from now??? What is the best settings for this cam? Im going to dial it in and what not and see how it goes, but if it dosnt improve too much what do i go next?
I was thinking a 977B but does anyone else have other suggestions on cam profiles? Any help would be good! Thanks in advance,

Shannon.

Post subject: Re: Wade 1604 in... where to now?
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Supa_R00 wrote:
Today the xr was treated to a new cam (wade 1604), crow valve springs and venier gear. As i kinda expected it didnt do a whole lot for me... first drive i took it for it was doughy and pretty lacklustre.
i got back reset the ECU and drove it round for a while and it is a fair bit better now but not much on my old XR. Bottom end and torque is better as expected but up top its so-so... much the same.

One thing for sure is the bottom end is a fair bit better. i did a test in 5th from 40kmh (900rpm) to a land mark and it got to 100kmh (2350) with the old cam. today with the new cam it pulled a 117kmh! but felt no faster by the seat of the pants.It has a very smooth power delivery and dosnt feel as fast as my old xr6 cam, which came on strong after 3000rpm. could it be that this cam is just smoother yet faster and i cant tell... :S LOL

The cam isnt dialed in yet properly and the vernier is set at 0 for the moment so their maybe a bit left but time will tell with fiddling on the dyno, but it feels down on power up top compared to my xr cam.
I must say though the cam was flawless, never hunted idle and purred like a p***y cat on startup. U couldnt tell that there was a different cam in there!!
SO.... what i ask is where to from now??? What is the best settings for this cam? Im going to dial it in and what not and see how it goes, but if it dosnt improve too much what do i go next?
I was thinking a 977B but does anyone else have other suggestions on cam profiles? Any help would be good! Thanks in advance,

Shannon.

the bit in bold says it all.

dont bother with the 1004 either. you'll notice it's there but only because it will i'dle poorly. most people with XRs dont notice any gain. and in my case the drag strip showed a loss in performance.
try some thing big to the point of needing more feul pressure or uni chip

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

you gotta remember that the 1604 is based somewhat on the XR/Tickford grind, so it wouldn't be much different. Change a GLi to one and it makes a significant difference.
When I got my 1604 from wade they said there'd be no need for a vernier gear and it'd work fine just taking out the old and putting in the new.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:51 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Yeh i got the vernier strictly for tuning purposes. funny u mention that its similar to a tickford grind because speaking to keith at wade today he said there was NO difference from a Gli to an XR cam. i was always led to beleive my ED XR6 cam was basically an standard EF cam but yet was slightly, albeit marginally, bigger than a standard ED

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Supa_R00 wrote:
Yeh i got the vernier strictly for tuning purposes. funny u mention that its similar to a tickford grind because speaking to keith at wade today he said there was NO difference from a Gli to an XR cam. i was always led to beleive my ED XR6 cam was basically an standard EF cam but yet was slightly, albeit marginally, bigger than a standard ED

keith from wade tried to tell me that too.
i no longer buy cams from wade. lift wise they are the same but the timming on both the intake and exhaust are different

i've posted the specs up befor. but can't find my genuine ford work shop manual right now

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6T

is there any noticable performance gains from dropping an xr6 cam into a Gli?? or would it be better/cheaper to get a wade cam??
this is for an EF...

cheers...

300+rwkw HeadsexTuned XR6 Turbo Ute *NOW SOLD :(*
MK Triton with 31" muddies, 2" lift and 3" turbo back exhaust etc...

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: XR6

VIC, Australia

ok does anyone have a cam profile that is beefy and give you some bite

i noticed difference with my 1004 it was definately better and a massive difference once i put exhaust, wat do you guys expect from 120 bucks

BA XR8 BOSS 260
Winter White
18' gt-p wheels
Flash Tuned
2 jl 13.5' w3's
tv indash

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Mr Man wrote:
is there any noticable performance gains from dropping an xr6 cam into a Gli?? or would it be better/cheaper to get a wade cam??
this is for an EF...

cheers...

if you had the cam sitting around put it in. if not buy an aftermarket cam.

i put an ef xr6 cam in my dads EB gli and there was a noticable gain

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Mr Man wrote:
this is for an EF...

cheers...

if you had the cam sitting around put it in. if not buy an aftermarket cam.

i put an ef xr6 cam in my dads EB gli and there was a noticable gain

Quote:
wat do you guys expect from 120 bucks

$120 or not you are changing the cam. when you change some thing like that you expect to at least gain some power not go slower.

any other car i've put a cam in it has made a REAL difference, not a pathetic 5KW you get from a wade 1004

it's really quite sad that they can sell cams like that claiming to gain power and have good idle, when the cam clearly does not do what they say it will do.

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Futura

SA, Australia

After reading that I might hold of a bit longer and go the stage 3 with unichip :)

5 Speed EL Futura
Stock as a rock*
A1 Oils - Synthetic lubricants: www.a1oils.com.au
* A rock that has been Alted

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:33 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Well do u's think i should go a 977B or try somethin else from a different manufacturer...

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Supa_R00 wrote:
Well do u's think i should go a 977B or try somethin else from a different manufacturer...

try some one els. talk to yobboford about the cam in his wagon

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]