want to change oil brand 

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: want to change oil brand
Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

I hear good things about Royal Purple....wouldnt mind giving it a go, but I think it's a bit expensive.

Gab

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:34 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: FG 2010 XR8 Ute

WA, Australia

4dlvr wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
ILLaViTaR wrote:
From what I've been told Motul is number one with Penrite as number 2.

All the rest are crap.

Penrite is at the very bottom of the crap list. They just have a good marketing department.

Penritesemi synthetic is what your talking about.. Their full synthetic range however is actually quite good s**t and recommended by many engine builders

aahhh crap i was just about to change to their semi sythetic HPR 5, what now??
i use Motul semi synthetic im my GSXR 750 so i might try it in my ute then

i just thought motul was just made for motorbike and not cars, but i spose oil are oils

ok i just look at their web site and we i'll be they do do car engine oil (learn something new every day)

next question then what type of oil should i get ..8100 X-MAX 5W/30 or 4000 MOTION 10W/30 or is there one i'm missing
i was really looking for a semi synthetic not a full synthetic

Last edited by comagutsa on Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

4dlvr wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
ILLaViTaR wrote:

All the rest are crap.

Penrite is at the very bottom of the crap list. They just have a good marketing department.

Penritesemi synthetic is what your talking about.. Their full synthetic range however is actually quite good s**t and recommended by many engine builders

Which is all well and good until they start with the 'EXTRA 10' garbage.

they don't even have an 'X'w40 in the range let alone an 'X'w30. All you can get 0W50 or thicker. Absolutely useless.

But like I said they have a good marketing department, and they know that the thick oil loving sheep will keep buying it so long as they keep making thick oil sound like a good idea.

The 'ENVIRO' range is every other oil companies regular grades. but for the money there are far better oils out there.

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF wagon

NSW, Australia

Just splurge a little and run Mobile1 full synthetic.

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

comagutsa wrote:
4dlvr wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
ILLaViTaR wrote:

All the rest are crap.

aahhh crap i was just about to change to their semi sythetic HPR 5, what now??
i use Motul semi synthetic im my GSXR 750 so i might try it in my ute then

i just thought motul was just made for motorbike and not cars, but i spose oil are oils

ok i just look at their web site and we i'll be they do do car engine oil (learn something new every day)

next question then what type of oil should i get ..8100 X-MAX 5W/30 or 4000 MOTION 10W/30 or is there one i'm missing
i was really looking for a semi synthetic not a full synthetic

8100 X-lite in an N/A AU-FG, 300V POWER or 300V CHRONO in a BA-FG turbo 6cyl engine.

You could use 300V HIGH-RPM (0W20) in the N/A engines. I currently use Fuchs GT1 0W20 in my AU

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

I'll just chime in and agree that Penrite sucks the fat one.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

If you're prepared to spend a bit more, you can go fully synthetic, which tends to be more consistent across temperatures, offers better wear protection (less friction), and lasts longer. It also gives a (tiny) increase in power and fuel economy, and lower engine temp, due to the lower friction.

Mobil 1 is a pretty average synthetic in testing - not great value. Royal Purple performs phenomenally well in wear tests, and tends to be not badly priced...for a synthetic. Amsoil is also very good, but is pricier (in NZ anyway) and tends to thicken a little between oil changes. They also guarantee extended drain intervals (a year or 25,000kms in high performance applications), and independent oil analysis supports it. I have used Amsoil with 15,000 km intervals in my 290,000km EF XR6, and the engine internals are basically spotless - no sludge/varnish. I have switched to Royal Purple (mainly because of the price) but change it more often, so probably no saving over all - just fresher oil. It has been working very well. Redline is also widely reported to be very good in high performance engines, but I haven't used it.

Switching from non-synthetic fluids to Royal Purple (same viscosity) in engine, transmission and diff gives 1 to 1.5% increase in power in various independent tests I have seen. By itself it's 2/5 of not much, but it does indicate a significant reduction in friction.

Get a top-notch oil filter while you are at it - nano-fibre or similar - the smaller the particles it traps, the better. Less grit and smaller grit means less wear and scoring. I use the Amsoil EaO filter, but there are other good ones - do some research. Cheap insurance.

Hope this helps.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:44 am 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

love this test from Street Commonwhore, very interesting

http://www.royalpurple.com.au/article_i ... lement.php

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

I use Mitsubishi Engine oil 15W50.....in the ED and the wifes TJ. They both get serviced at 5,000km intervals...or 6 months.....brake fluid done every 12 months.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:46 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

well i will be

i changed my oil over to the royal purple 5w/30 full synthetic (yes cost me $200 for 10L) and i put a K&N oil filter on and drove back to Narrogin (about 200km trip from Perth)
now my fuel economy sitting on 110km/h will sit on about 10.9-11.2 for this trip
once id did oil change with the synthetic it went down to 10.5 with the air con on and was a 40 degree days also
didnt think oil would make such a huge difference with my economy :shock:

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

When I was working for a company that ran a large fleet of trucks across the Canadian prairies, they did a proper test of synthetic (Amsoil) vs non-synthetic oil. As they had several identical trucks on identical routes, they were able to do a true apples-for-apples comparison over a period of many months. They found an average improvement in fuel economy of 7%. I wouldn't expect a lightly-loaded car to achieve the same improvement as a heavily-loaded linehaul truck, but the saving is very real. And the saving reflects the lower friction happening in the engine, so that must be reducing wear as well.

They were doing oil testing at the same time, to see if they could safely extend oil change intervals, as Amsoil claims. They found that the oil would continue to perform above the engine manufacturers' requirements for at least 4-5 times the factory recommended change interval. The filters were changed according to factory recommendation, keeping large particles and wear metals down. The oil used to pre-fill the filters plus the top-up oil from normal consumption, was enough to keep the additives above the required levels.

After seeing that independent test with my own eyes, I was totally sold on synthetics. My own experience has been good too. I have been doing 15,000km/12 month oil changes (filter at 6 months) on my 290,000km EF, and the engine is spotless inside. I won't use anything but synthetic now.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Territory SX TX

QLD, Australia

Mobil 1 for me. Ran it in the AU for years. Engine is still perfect even though the car itself is f**k. The next car will get Mobil 1 from day 1.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2