Post subject: Re: Wanting a deeper exhaust note
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 2013 Ford Focus ST

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

ba_xr6bw wrote:
Sweet dude, hey did u get a tune after u put ur exhaust n air set up on ? A flash tune will improve the extractor flow and air setup !! Correct ?

Yeah it will def help get more power from the tune, i havnt had mine custom tuned yet, been doing some handling mods and need to pay the car off at the end of September so i hope to get it done at least this year - cant wait :-)

I hate arriving at my destination as then I have to get out of my car!

New Build Thread
the-garage-f53/the-beast-v2-0-phil-s-2013-ford-focus-st-t122703.html

Old Build Thread
the-garage-f53/phil-s-bf-sr-gt-build-thread-lots-of-pics-t98705.html

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
67RCE wrote:
winman wrote:
exhaust back pressure is good for instant off the line torque, putting aftermarket headers on reduces the back pressure, and hence the reduction in off the line.
but to be honist you really shouldn't notice it that much, plus the extra power once the revs kick up should outway any reduction off the line.
what pacemaker headers did you get? 4490 or 4495

Quoted for inaccurate know it all. Backpressure is bad, it does not create more torque. Exhaust gas velocity is what helps. Stock manifolds are done on the cheap.

I noticed in an earlier post he talked about which extractors he had...you have to wonder why he bothered if he thinks extractors are no good??

Extractors comment aside, back pressure should never appear on this forum.

The fact aftermarket headers could result in a loss of low down torque (under 1500rpm) is because the majority have 41mm primaries. Not sure if B series use a different stock manifold, but get a set of old 4480s with the 38mm primaries and put it on a dyno back to back with stock headers off a E or A series and I would be shocked if the 4480s were down on torque anywhere.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ba XR6 mk2 n/a

NSW, Australia

Hey dip s**t , I'm not the only one who has relised loss of power ,, it's called when u do mods like this ur car needs a tune and I wasn't aware of that , too much air not enough fuel I was told !!!???

BANNED USER

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

^^Who are you talking to?

I wasn't referring to your posts, but now that you have piped up may as well point out you are incorrect. A tune won't do anything for extractor flow, it will however fix any problems with your tune (usually running rich) due to the ecu realising something has been toyed with and pumping more fuel in as a safety measure.

ba_xr6bw wrote:
A flash tune will improve the extractor flow and air setup !! Correct ?

Dip s**t isn't a nice term. Also "realised" and I think only one comma was necessary. Obviously should have gone with the decaf this morning. :roll:

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ok mr mechanic man I'll find out tomorrow as I'm getting a flash tune and I'll fill u in , even if I'm incorrect , but just read up on theses flash tunes and the more mods u have the better when getting this tune , so all u stock cars out there don't bother yet !!

BANNED USER

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

And what would u no , u drive a crapy au lol

BANNED USER

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ba_xr6bw wrote:
Ok mr mechanic man I'll find out tomorrow as I'm getting a flash tune and I'll fill u in , even if I'm incorrect , but just read up on theses flash tunes and the more mods u have the better when getting this tune , so all u stock cars out there don't bother yet !!

Are you high? Of course you will gain more from a tune when the car has more mods, as it will be further outside standard parameters which your ecu is tuned for. I fail to see what this has to do with your posts about tune affecting the flow of your extractors though? Or about 'backpressure' creating down low torque which was the original post I was correcting?

Unless your tuner is retarded your car will drive better and should make more torque and power after the tune, but it still doesn't change the fact your assumptions about the physics of how it does this were incorrect? Jesus is like talking to a brick wall...

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ba_xr6bw wrote:
And what would u no , u drive a crapy au lol

I know nothing at all.

Except that you are probably incapable of taking your rocker cover off your car and putting it back on correctly (waits while you go look up what a rocker cover is). In other words don't post generalised s**t about something you know nothing about.

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

haha nah im new to modifications so thats why im all over the show, u just sound like one of those guys who thinks he knows everything, what have u done to ur car dude? and how much rwkw is it pulling?

BANNED USER

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

All good, I wasn't referring to your post in the first place lol...was jumping on winman's post about backpressure before others read it and get the idea that is how it works. :wink:

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:54 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 50 images

Ride: MYSTERY EL's & Maverick LWB

Power: 198 rwkw

NSW, Australia

you could use 3 inch straight off the cat and finish it off at the diff with large enough muffler box and under diff to rear bar .thats if you got ground clearance ( mine isnt ) thats the setup i got but NO cat as its not rego'd but on its last dyno run it 184(hot run) - 198(cold run) rwkw and sounds good . video below ( 2010 - stock tune/ECU and nothing has been changed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ad2pJJe6sE

Chance Favors The Prepared Mind !
For Sale : EL Fairmont 4L 5spd offers, AU Fairlane Ghia 4L vct Stock no mods $3.5k ono

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

Quote:
67RCE wrote:
winman wrote:
exhaust back pressure is good for instant off the line torque, putting aftermarket headers on reduces the back pressure, and hence the reduction in off the line.
but to be honist you really shouldn't notice it that much, plus the extra power once the revs kick up should outway any reduction off the line.

Quoted for inaccurate know it all. Backpressure is bad, it does not create more torque. Exhaust gas velocity is what helps. Stock manifolds are done on the cheap.

I noticed in an earlier post he talked about which extractors he had...you have to wonder why he bothered if he thinks extractors are no good??

If you actually had the capability to read more then the first 5 words on my post you would have seen that i did not say their is a reduction in torque in general i said it reduces "off the line torque", by this i mean the first couple of meters when taking off (below 2k rpm), their is science behind it, the numbers may be small but they are still their. and as for the remark that i think extractors are no good, i've also stated the initial hesitation shouldn't be really be noticed and if it is the " extra power once the revs kick up should outway any reduction off the line."
and now back to the original question

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

winman wrote:
Quote:
67RCE wrote:
winman wrote:

If you actually had the capability to read more then the first 5 words on my post you would have seen that i did not say their is a reduction in torque in general i said it reduces "off the line torque", by this i mean the first couple of meters when taking off (below 2k rpm), their is science behind it, the numbers may be small but they are still their. and as for the remark that i think extractors are no good, i've also stated the initial hesitation shouldn't be really be noticed and if it is the " extra power once the revs kick up should outway any reduction off the line."
and now back to the original question

Don't try and say there's a scientfic explanation and use the words back pressure. Thanks to your post 100 more people will probably pipe up next time someone is asking about header design to give their two cents about how back pressure will give you more torque... :evil:

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Do headers n a pod filter affect the engines computer ? It's feels different and I was told it's takes about a month for the engine to adjust to the mods ??? Plz help ?? As I feel like I've lost power , and when I use the tiptronic it feels to smooth doesn't throw me in the seat anymore !! :twisted: 

BANNED USER

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6

NSW, Australia

unplug the battery for 20 or so mins, this will reset the ecu, sometimes this helps. not saying it will so don't go nuts if i've said something that doesn't agree with all other people on this thread.

on the side, im guessing the mods are now extractors and pod filter. two questions.
1. how many km's has it been since each mod.
2. is the box enclosed in a box to help prevent hot air from the engine from entering it or is it open.

also its a bit late now, but use something as a measure for performance, for example time how long it takes the car to reach a certain speed or distance using a stop watch, try to use the same spot in similar conditions. like an average of a 0-100 before and after a mod

BA XR6
Performance mods: typhoon + territory pipe with K&N filter, full exhaust, BPR generic tune, lowered, xr6t front brakes, territory rear brakes
Visual mods: 19" rim, lower grill mesh, oil pressure and vacuum gauges, engine bay lighting, foot well lights
some of my main mods

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 8  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next